A decision to be made

• Thread starter Preacher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
Howdy all!

I have a decision to make, been saving for a while now to get new musical things, mostyly recording.

I'm looking at the iPad Mini (the new one) so I can get the jam up apps, an audio interface (probably a line 6 sonic port) and start doing demos in garage band etc.

I like the way it looks, and seems to work from the vids i've seen online, cant get the app on them instores though. I'm sure I will use it for other stuff as well like surfing the net etc.

My alternative is basically upgrade my pc to something that isnt a 5 years + POS waiting to die. I just need the motherboard, CPU, and ram for now, which would cost the same but allow me to record if i got an interface for it as well (probably one of the line 6 ones) and use reaper.

I like the idea of portability of an iPad, but what concerns me is garageband may not be great for recording and creating compositions etc, when you need a bit of power to do that kind of stuff.

not sure how much of this makes sense, but any questions feel free to ask!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Garageband is absolutely terrible. When I got my new macbook it was on there and I found it workable but then I got Logic and realized how "dumbed down" garageband is, to the point of being obtuse. If you just want to track a few scratch guitars or jot ideas down, the ipad-garageband thing works fine. If you want to do any real recording, you're going to need a real DAW, a computer, and a decent interface.

I'm not sure exactly what you would need computer wise, but I feel it may be more than you think so wait until the PC guys chime in