A love letter to the Ibanez Universe

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Since we're on this thread anyway, UV70P - is the Premium version worth it?

IMO, fuck no.

I played several of them when they came out, the immediate thought when I grabbed the body to pull it off a hanger was “Why the fuck does this feel like plastic?”

Just your average Premium issues; fret sprout, dry as hell fingerboard that squeaked when bending strings and felt rough, piss poor setups, I think out of 4-5 I played I did not play a single one that was playable all over the neck, somewhere along the way there’d be something fretting out or just playing like dogshit in general.

I’m not even a MIJ snob, but I was so bummed out by those. It was sad to see Ibanez even put them out if that’s the quality they were aiming for.

One of the cover bands I joined briefly, the guitarist had one, when we were jamming one night he asked me if I wanted to play it and I actually said “Nah, that’s cool” and didn’t even think about it until later that night, probably the first time I’ve ever turned down playing any guitar, never mind a “Universe”

7stringDemon

Reaction score
IMO, fuck no.

I played several of them when they came out, the immediate thought when I grabbed the body to pull it off a hanger was “Why the fuck does this feel like plastic?”

Just your average Premium issues; fret sprout, dry as hell fingerboard that squeaked when bending strings and felt rough, piss poor setups, I think out of 4-5 I played I did not play a single one that was playable all over the neck, somewhere along the way there’d be something fretting out or just playing like dogshit in general.

I’m not even a MIJ snob, but I was so bummed out by those. It was sad to see Ibanez even put them out if that’s the quality they were aiming for.

One of the cover bands I joined briefly, the guitarist had one, when we were jamming one night he asked me if I wanted to play it and I actually said “Nah, that’s cool” and didn’t even think about it until later that night, probably the first time I’ve ever turned down playing any guitar, never mind a “Universe”

I got the delight of turning down playing one as well :lol:

One of my Guitar Center employee “friends” got it. He knew me from coming in to show off all my MIJ Ibanez gear (like a humongous douche-bag would), so he assumed I would be totally stoked to see it. He got it brand-spanking-new! I took one look at that thing and hit him with the “Nah, I’m good”. He was definitely taken aback by it.

At least I spared him the agony of having to listen to my dumb ass explain that his UV is “AcTuAlLy…” the lesser UV.

Reaction score
MetaVerse ! please pronounce it like "Metal Heart" from Accept (my pleasure)

Those have some strange mojo - any of 'em is not the exactely same but have the same kind of magic
My pleasure is to have a guitar that suits me perfectly and not being beautiful
Dents on the body of any of them is not a problem (back of the neck is another story)
Magic workhorse
We need close-ups on the silver dots... there are strange things happening in the pickups layout.

... better, we need close-up on every single one...

... do it.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I haven't played any from the Premium series, but I dig my O.G. Universe for sure.

The original medium jumbo frets are too small for my taste, but I fixed that with 6100 SS frets, by far the single most important mod.

Also did a fat brass block + claw, Blaze Custom at the bridge, tone control bypass and set it up with 5 Universe springs and NYXL 10-59.

It is a fearsome riff and lead machine. There are some pickups that are better crunchmeisters, but I haven't heard one I like better for leads in a Universe than the Blaze Custom.

1m.jpg

4.jpg

UV7.jpg

There is no doubt that much progress has been made in the design of high performance 7-strings since 1990. For example, my Schecter Loomis is at another level in terms of fast, hammering heavy riffs, mostly due to the clarity and stability of the 26.5" scale, although the EMG 57-H/66-H and factory extra jumbo SS frets, substantial body and set neck are also part of the evolution. But the UV7 is like a classic Ferrari. Even when newer Ferraris come out, the old one is still a great drive, just recognize that it's not going toe to toe with a car that is 35 years newer in many areas. But no worries, some of the most insane playing ever had already been done by 1990 on what are now "antique" guitars. They can hang if YOU can. :wavey:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Internet hype, pretty much. They're basically fancy looking RG7620s. You might prefer one neck shape or another (as Max pointed out, wildly inconsistent), but they're by no means better guitars.

I got one recently and it was a cool guitar, but I opted for the money people were paying for them instead of the actual guitar :lol:
I joined Jemsite before I joined here and yes, it was internet hype back then. Thank God for Rich at Ibanez Rules who sold me my first PWH. I don’t post at Jemsite anymore but it definitely helped with my GAS for an OG Universe.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO, fuck no.

No doubt. The Premiums are the Jem Jr.s of the Universe universe. :lol: For the price of that thing, I got a 26.5” set-neck Schecter and a hardshell case.

I’m pretty disappointed at how thoroughly Ibanez have demoted everything that’s not a PIA. :fawk: I’d buy a stripped-down $2k Prestige before I’d buy a JEM Premium.

Last edited:

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
My friend got a Green Dot for $1,400 CAD like 8 years ago and I’ve never not been envious.

I was hunting for one around the time I joined this forum. The CAD and USD were about equivalent then, and I recall Green Dots were going for like $1200-$1500 in the used section, sometimes less if they were worn. I remember a mint one popped up with the pink-lined hardcase and all the case candy. Never ended up buying it because I was looking for something less precious to lug around to band practice.

So many 'what ifs' with gear, but that's one that sticks out. $1400 CAD in 2016 is a hell of a steal.

Reaction score
I was hunting for one around the time I joined this forum. The CAD and USD were about equivalent then, and I recall Green Dots were going for like $1200-$1500 in the used section, sometimes less if they were worn. I remember a mint one popped up with the pink-lined hardcase and all the case candy. Never ended up buying it because I was looking for something less precious to lug around to band practice.

So many 'what ifs' with gear, but that's one that sticks out. $1400 CAD in 2016 is a hell of a steal.
I'm still hitting my head on the wall for not getting a new original swirl for what would be about 2000€ in 1995 when I bought my S540... That would be the kick in the balls I'd give myself as a teen if I could...