A Novel Introduction to a Fine Gentleman

sunbasket

Reaction score
Is this thing on? *tap tap*

Ahem. A-ha-ha-hem. Hey all. Name's Joel and I'm a 25-y.o. musician / level designer / artist hailing from Vancouver, Kanada.

I'm a relative noob to this community, but I've been creepin' for a few months. I stumbled upon it and thought holy shit, there's just been way too much knowledge to sort through before I start asking questions that've already been answered ;)

My musical tastes are all-over-the-place, but mostly stick to progressive and post / experimental metal. Bands like Opeth, Cynic, Meshuggah, Death, Enslaved, In Flames, Gojira, Katatonia, Agalloch... lately have checking out The Ocean and The Sound of Animals Fighting... bands like Radiohead, Rush, any kind of old/obscure prog (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), the classics, electronica is always kinda there too. But I love the guitar.

There are just too many players to admire..."industry-standard" names like Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Vai, Buckethead, DiMeola... but then again, I think I've learned as much from amateur local shows and random talented people playing in their bedrooms to the youtube audience.

I've been playing 6-string guitar for too damn long, been in a band or two that didn't quite get to the gigging stage. I've got tons of ideas tabbed out in Guitar Pro... and am kind of embarrassed to not have had some nice recordings yet. But maybe I shouldn't feel so bad in the midst of so many ambitious people eh. I feel I'll be at the "watch-and-learn" phase here for quite a while. ;D

When it comes to ERG's, I've always wanted to be able to reach notes in the lower register, but never wanted to tune my guit down past Eb or D... wasn't a fan of drop tunings, and I was just kind of intimidated by the 7. Then it was maybe while ago that I was introduced to the work Tosin Abasi, Bulb, etc are putting out... and I thought, hell, this is great stuff. Not just Korn is using these. Whoa, what the hell did that guy just do?! I gotta get on this now! So I've currently got a 7 currently borrowed, just some crappy RG7321 to get the taste of it. I'm a currently a bit wounded from a cash drop on an Invader 100, which now gives me a chance to throw a shout out to zimbloth / Nick from the Axe Palace! \m/

Other than guitar I love morning coffee, yardwork, tits, hammocks, vikings, Bruce Lee, running (lol imasmoker), bath tubs, reading and thinking about life, and building 3d environments for games. I also used to be a world of warcraft addict and chose it over a GF once. I also count stairs, and examine the letters in a word and translate them into numbers and try to discern crazy conclusions about the universe. For example J = 1, O = 6, E = 5, L = 3 ... holy christ there's a dumpster outside my office with the numbers "3 5 1 6 5" imprinted on it ITS MEANT TO BE ...

Well, if you read that long, I commend you. I hope to be a helpful addition to this here place ;D

If you just scrolled the end, here's the too-long-didnt-read: canuck lerning to use PC and lean off of english langage, plz be nice, How I friend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
welcome! and youll soon find out the rg7321 is a pretty solid guitar ;)

Latest posts