Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
The Legion's look killer, small touch they look to have blind fret ends which is a great future proof addition against fret sprout.

Another point though is that seeing the neck specs now (as I don't think I saw them listed on other lines), wenge with 2 reinforcement rods could explain why it was so hard to fix that dodgy neck that turned up in @jephjacques Larada

Last edited:

Mayath321

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm thinking about picking up a larada legion, but I had a question. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the spacing between the strings and the body for my right hand. I have a six and a seven string strandberg and while I really like them, one complaint I have is that the strings are fairly far away from the body when it comes to my right hand. I learned to play on a strat and I guess I'm just used to having my right hand touch the body while doing stuff on the low strings. When I measure my strat it's about 5/16th of an inch from the body to the strings. It's 9/16" on my strandberg. I guess it doesn't seem like much, but my strat feels far better. I'm wondering what it's like on the laradas? Is it likea strat/prs where the strings are flush with the body or like a strandberg/suhr where it is "far away?"

Thanks!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Think this will be an easy installation in the legion?

https://www.zzounds.com/item--FSMPROBPK101?siid=197289

It's a complete waste of money, I play my 060 with the rechargeable battery. And at this point I've put at least 200 hours on it on a single charge, aka 2 - 3 hours on the usb charger the day I got it after some noodling.

If the 9V died on you every other month, maybe it'd be justifiable. But I change 9V's on my other guitars twice a year at most and have left them in there for a year+.

Just unplug your guitar when you're done playing to make sure you don't waste charge.

If you want to do it anyways, then I'm sure it's an easy install. I'd probably inquire about a new backplate since the battery compartment takes up more space than the small hold required for the usb port.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The black/grey model with the burl cut off looks really neat!
See now I specifically do NOT like that. To me it just highlights that it's a thin veneer on there. I don't actually care that it's just a veneer but it's a pet peeve of mine when the finish is done in way that highlights the fact.

Mayath321

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is the gap that I am referring to. It's pretty big on my stranbergs, but small on my strats/the prs's that I've played. How is it on the larada?

Attachments

• 20201012_212115.jpg
    20201012_212115.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
See now I specifically do NOT like that. To me it just highlights that it's a thin veneer on there. I don't actually care that it's just a veneer but it's a pet peeve of mine when the finish is done in way that highlights the fact.

They should have done one of those graphics. The black floral would have been sick

Orfonso

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm thinking about picking up a larada legion, but I had a question. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the spacing between the strings and the body for my right hand. I have a six and a seven string strandberg and while I really like them, one complaint I have is that the strings are fairly far away from the body when it comes to my right hand. I learned to play on a strat and I guess I'm just used to having my right hand touch the body while doing stuff on the low strings. When I measure my strat it's about 5/16th of an inch from the body to the strings. It's 9/16" on my strandberg. I guess it doesn't seem like much, but my strat feels far better. I'm wondering what it's like on the laradas? Is it likea strat/prs where the strings are flush with the body or like a strandberg/suhr where it is "far away?"

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't help, I just wanted to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who also prefers this! It was honestly one of the few things about my Strandberg that I didn't like. Hopefully someone else here can answer 'cause I'm interested as well.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
right?! strange thing holding me back is a solid no frills paint job is a $200 premium. like wtf.

I mean I'm no professional, but everytime I've ordered a custom instrument a high gloss finish is almost always an upcharge, moreso when taping is involved to keep certain aspect satin (Like the neck, etc).

That being said, I had some extra funds to play with and that KM7-MkIII Hybrid I bought a few weeks ago was unfortunately not the best (Will write the review later). So these becoming available made the decision pretty easy to try it to take it's slot as my Downtuning 7.

Picked up one of the Legion 7's in Overcast, debating if not going 8 was the right move or not. But I've just historically never meshed with a single 8 string long term, so :shrug:

Pretty excited to spend some time with a Larada through my setup. Someone asked a few pages ago, but the spacing definitely looks larger on the 7 string Legions. Are these 8 string Fishmans? If so I may also grab the Stephen Carpenters to try.

Guitarasaurus_Joey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean I'm no professional, but everytime I've ordered a custom instrument a high gloss finish is almost always an upcharge, moreso when taping is involved to keep certain aspect satin (Like the neck, etc).

That being said, I had some extra funds to play with and that KM7-MkIII Hybrid I bought a few weeks ago was unfortunately not the best (Will write the review later). So these becoming available made the decision pretty easy to try it to take it's slot as my Downtuning 7.

Picked up one of the Legion 7's in Overcast, debating if not going 8 was the right move or not. But I've just historically never meshed with a single 8 string long term, so :shrug:

Pretty excited to spend some time with a Larada through my setup. Someone asked a few pages ago, but the spacing definitely looks larger on the 7 string Legions. Are these 8 string Fishmans? If so I may also grab the Stephen Carpenters to try.
The 7s have the 7 string Abasi Fishmans with the 8s having the 8 string Abasi Fishmans. The string spacing and slant angle is set to make sure the pickups cover all the strings.

I will say also, I actually prefer playing my 7 over the 8. I know the 8 is the actual Tosin guitar, but the 7 just feels better in every way. But, I'm more a 7 guy, so could just be that.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
I know it isn't fair but I will be comparing my legion 8 to my Aristides 080 and 080S lol. I just feel like that is a good level. I have tried an 8 string from almost every brand and Aristides is where I ended so lets see!

Reactions: CW7

xzacx

Reaction score
I don’t understand why people are surprised that the one that involves more labor would be more expensive?

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
The Legion's look killer, small touch they look to have blind fret ends which is a great future proof addition against fret sprout.

Another point though is that seeing the neck specs now (as I don't think I saw them listed on other lines), wenge with 2 reinforcement rods could explain why it was so hard to fix that dodgy neck that turned up in @jephjacques Larada

Mine was roasted maple with a richlite board though. I've heard horror stories about wenge being unstable, but lots of builders are using it on a mass production scale these days, and I've never personally encountered any issues with it either. I'm inclined to write my old Larada off as a lemon unless we start seeing more of them with problems like that one had.

My replacement should be here by the end of the week and I am CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC.