Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

CW7

Reaction score
Waiting when you guys receive these axes and tell us about build quality. I've missed this batch, probably next time (I think it would be September), anyway available color options was not for me except for probably Solar Storm, but previous one with flamed maple neck was much more interesting ... but different fingerboards, painted vs not painted headstock ... I don't know.

So I’ve now had like 6 Master 8s pass through. I can say this. It’s “good” but not over the top (not what I expect out of an almost 4k instrument). I haven’t had one that I didn’t have to send to my guy for some quick fret leveling and saddle adjustment. BUT- they bring something unique to the table so I keep buying them. Lol

I have two Js (a 7 and 8). They’re both potential keepers. I’m anxious to see if this USA good sparkle 8 can stay in the mix. (The last one I had was that sparkle burst with the flamed neck ; it was cool but I realized I’m not a fan of a burst on an Uber modern 8. Just didn’t vibe with it).
I guess what I’m saying is I am very cautiously optimistic; as long as it comes in like the previous ones I know in 30 minutes I can have the action slammed and ready to rip, and in good with that. I’ll update next week (gold sparkle is due Wednesday. They wasted NO time getting those out the door!).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CW7

Reaction score
Waiting when you guys receive these axes and tell us about build quality. I've missed this batch, probably next time (I think it would be September), anyway available color options was not for me except for probably Solar Storm, but previous one with flamed maple neck was much more interesting ... but different fingerboards, painted vs not painted headstock ... I don't know.
I’ll update next week when mine arrives . This will be #7 I think, so I’ve had a good cross section of them to compare. I went over what My experience has been this far in my other reply on the next page. So far, to summarize, they’ve been “good”, not awful but not great (and one could argue that at almost 4k nothing less than “spectacular” is acceptable).

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
So I’ve now had like 6 Master 8s pass through. I can say this. It’s “good” but not over the top (not what I expect out of an almost 4k instrument). I haven’t had one that I didn’t have to send to my guy for some quick fret leveling and saddle adjustment. BUT- they bring something unique to the table so I keep buying them. Lol

I have two Js (a 7 and 8). They’re both potential keepers. I’m anxious to see if this USA good sparkle 8 can stay in the mix. (The last one I had was that sparkle burst with the flamed neck ; it was cool but I realized I’m not a fan of a burst on an Uber modern 8. Just didn’t vibe with it).
I guess what I’m saying is I am very cautiously optimistic; as long as it comes in like the previous ones I know in 30 minutes I can have the action slammed and ready to rip, and in good with that. I’ll update next week (gold sparkle is due Wednesday. They wasted NO time getting those out the door!).
Since you have experience with them, do you think purchasing an 8 string Larada would be a good buy if I can order one? What was the estimated total after taxes and shipping, because I wanted to get an Essi but that's moot, so Im thinking this would be the next best thing? Or should I just go with Padalka?

CW7

Reaction score
Since you have experience with them, do you think purchasing an 8 string Larada would be a good buy if I can order one? What was the estimated total after taxes and shipping, because I wanted to get an Essi but that's moot, so Im thinking this would be the next best thing? Or should I just go with Padalka?
Wow.
Ok- so some apples and oranges here, but let me help best I can. ;)

actually, shoot me a PM if you want- this could get long winded. I’ve had experience with all 3 brands you mentioned, and could shed some light here I think. I just didn’t want to get off on a Padalka/Oni tangent in a larada thread .

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
Wow.

actually, shoot me a PM if you want- this could get long winded. I’ve had experience with all 3 brands you mentioned, and could shed some light here I think. I just didn’t want to get off on a Padalka/Oni tangent in a larada thread .
Will do sir. Thx

den_3k

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow.

Guys it will be great if after private discussion you will post some summary here.

CW7

Reaction score
I’d be happy to elaborate here ; I just didn’t want to derail a larada specific thread with lots of talk of other builders. But I’ll summarize here shortly .
Guys it will be great if after private discussion you will post some summary here.

den_3k

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d be happy to elaborate here ; I just didn’t want to derail a larada specific thread with lots of talk of other builders. But I’ll summarize here shortly .
You mentioned Padalka, and he living in city near me (250kms from my city) so I am really interested to hear details 0:)

CW7

Reaction score
You mentioned Padalka, and he living in city near me (250kms from my city) so I am really interested to hear details 0:)

OK-

so I’ve had 3 Padalkas. Yeh first two were “run” guitars ; he did a very short run of Neptunes. These had limited options you could choose, and were bolt on, so they were priced less than his full on custom builds. (They also had nickel frets, which , for me, was a bit of a deal killer). These ran 2500-2800 or so, iirc. They fell in the category of “good” for me. Not mind blowing, but not bad. Solid. Honestly for 2500+ I expect a pretty high end build. I actually had the cheaper of the two (a black one with gold hardware) re fretted with jumbo SS with rounded ends. This was a big upgrade IMO. I still sold it as I just didn’t play it enough to warrant keeping it. I also had a full custom on order so knowing that was coming I didn’t need two other Neptunes laying around.

Now the custom. THAT is what I expected Padalka to be. Granted it was over 5k (and over a year wait). But it was finished to an almost surgical level of precision. Therein lies me “issue” with it, and it can certainly be said this is a personal preference, but a few asked so I’ll detail it here as best I can.

Simon’s work is clean. In fact it’s SO clean it kinda felt sterile to me. There certainly wasn’t a “flaw” with the instrument. BUT- it didn’t vibe for me. No mojo. It was almost clinical in a nature. Every box was there to be ticked. But something didn’t jive for me . Add that to the fact that I’m almost exclusively a trem player on 6 string, and this was a fixed bridge, and I decided to sell it. (That wasn’t easy as the concept was something I’d had in my head a long time and finally seeing to to fruition was pretty cool). But a 5500.00 instrument needs to knock me off my feet. Not just be a “this is pretty cool and well made...” instrument.

to tie Into Larada (this is a Larada thread , right? ). The comparison isn’t really “fair” , in that Padalka is a true , one man custom shop with a now 18 month to 2 year wait, while clearly Laradas are made in batches and in much greater numbers with no customization. BUT- the Laradas DO bring something unique to the table, and truth be told, both of mine do have a vibe I enjoy. The aforementioned mojo I felt the Padalka lacked for whatever reason.

Again/ touchy subject. In no way am I comparing the QUALITY , objectively speaking , of Padalka and Abasi. Sorry, but that’s not a fair fight. Simon makes a technically superior instrument . But for me, I’m ok with sacrificing some of the clinical perfection for whatever the X factor is that the Laradas provide. (And let me be 100% transparent ; I’ve absolutely heard of QC issues in the past with Padalka. I’ve not experienced that with the newest customs so I can only speak to that experience. It’s probable he stepped his game the last couple of years, and he’s doing a fantastic job as far as producing a flawlessly executed instrument. It just wasn’t something that screamed “keeper” to me).

Hope that’s helpful for those that are curious. I’m happy to discuss further for anyone that’s curious. Cheers.

Jack McGoldrick

Reaction score
OK-

so I’ve had 3 Padalkas. Yeh first two were “run” guitars ; he did a very short run of Neptunes. These had limited options you could choose, and were bolt on, so they were priced less than his full on custom builds. (They also had nickel frets, which , for me, was a bit of a deal killer). These ran 2500-2800 or so, iirc. They fell in the category of “good” for me. Not mind blowing, but not bad. Solid. Honestly for 2500+ I expect a pretty high end build. I actually had the cheaper of the two (a black one with gold hardware) re fretted with jumbo SS with rounded ends. This was a big upgrade IMO. I still sold it as I just didn’t play it enough to warrant keeping it. I also had a full custom on order so knowing that was coming I didn’t need two other Neptunes laying around.

Now the custom. THAT is what I expected Padalka to be. Granted it was over 5k (and over a year wait). But it was finished to an almost surgical level of precision. Therein lies me “issue” with it, and it can certainly be said this is a personal preference, but a few asked so I’ll detail it here as best I can.

Simon’s work is clean. In fact it’s SO clean it kinda felt sterile to me. There certainly wasn’t a “flaw” with the instrument. BUT- it didn’t vibe for me. No mojo. It was almost clinical in a nature. Every box was there to be ticked. But something didn’t jive for me . Add that to the fact that I’m almost exclusively a trem player on 6 string, and this was a fixed bridge, and I decided to sell it. (That wasn’t easy as the concept was something I’d had in my head a long time and finally seeing to to fruition was pretty cool). But a 5500.00 instrument needs to knock me off my feet. Not just be a “this is pretty cool and well made...” instrument.

to tie Into Larada (this is a Larada thread , right? ). The comparison isn’t really “fair” , in that Padalka is a true , one man custom shop with a now 18 month to 2 year wait, while clearly Laradas are made in batches and in much greater numbers with no customization. BUT- the Laradas DO bring something unique to the table, and truth be told, both of mine do have a vibe I enjoy. The aforementioned mojo I felt the Padalka lacked for whatever reason.

Again/ touchy subject. In no way am I comparing the QUALITY , objectively speaking , of Padalka and Abasi. Sorry, but that’s not a fair fight. Simon makes a technically superior instrument . But for me, I’m ok with sacrificing some of the clinical perfection for whatever the X factor is that the Laradas provide. (And let me be 100% transparent ; I’ve absolutely heard of QC issues in the past with Padalka. I’ve not experienced that with the newest customs so I can only speak to that experience. It’s probable he stepped his game the last couple of years, and he’s doing a fantastic job as far as producing a flawlessly executed instrument. It just wasn’t something that screamed “keeper” to me).

Hope that’s helpful for those that are curious. I’m happy to discuss further for anyone that’s curious. Cheers.

You should make a thread/post on various high end guitars in a vs, Padalka vs Abasi vs tone vs Strandberg... it'd be really interesting to hear the perspectives on guitars you never really hear a comparison to when there should be on if you get me

NCeuRign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got a question - Justus West on his insta plays a pale blue 6 string multiscale Abasi. All the 6s on the abasiconcepts site are straight fretted. Anyone know the story behind Justus'?

den_3k

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK-

Thank you for finding time and giving such detailed and interesting information. Surprisingly, looks like we are on the same side. While I've never ever touched any of Padalka guitars, but I am agree that Larada has some specific vibe/mojo. Moreover, after getting a Strandberg I've disappointed completely in idea of headless guitar, and looks like abasi is the only one guitar on a market, which provides some modern ideas, ergonomics and not headless. So ... still targeted to Larada.

Reactions: CW7

CW7

Reaction score
I got a question - Justus West on his insta plays a pale blue 6 string multiscale Abasi. All the 6s on the abasiconcepts site are straight fretted. Anyone know the story behind Justus'?
There are some J series 6 strings that can still be found. Not saying that’s what his is (may or may not be) but those so far are all I’ve seen of 6 string FF from Abasi.

hayfever

Reaction score

I don't know the story behind his and I haven't ever seen Tosin/the company say anything about these but they are available in japan stores, ie: https://shop.miyaji.co.jp/SHOP/ka-g-101019-iy02.html

This particular store also has a straight fret 7 with a floyd: https://shop.miyaji.co.jp/SHOP/ka-g-122018-if04.html

No idea how you would go about ordering these

stinkoman

Reaction score

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

I don't know the story behind his and I haven't ever seen Tosin/the company say anything about these but they are available in japan stores, ie: https://shop.miyaji.co.jp/SHOP/ka-g-101019-iy02.html

This particular store also has a straight fret 7 with a floyd: https://shop.miyaji.co.jp/SHOP/ka-g-122018-if04.html

No idea how you would go about ordering these
The guitars in Japan are the guitars made by Falbo and apparently finished (to some extent) in Japan. The Justus West guitar is probably also the same story, but I can't find a good picture of the back of the neck to confirm.