Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

XmO

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am cautiously optimistic about it. Mostly just want it to try the body. Don't be surprised if y'all see a black burl 8 on Reverb LOL
I do admit, I find the "strandberg/Abasi-esque" body shape more comfortable than most guitars. I play most of the time in the classical position, so having the body cut to sit that way helps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
I do admit, I find the "strandberg/Abasi-esque" body shape more comfortable than most guitars. I play most of the time in the classical position, so having the body cut to sit that way helps.
See I am a right leg guy which is why I love the wide Aristides body

CW7

Reaction score
the kiesel version really makes it obvious what it is.
a plank of wood with strings on it.
Too late. It is gone. I thought it was fake because I thought the orders from that time were cancelled?
It's legit. I have seen videos of the guitar in question being built. (as well as correspondence with Tosin and Ivan as to its production status).

Daniel Leu

SacredStolen
Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone that is still considering buying a Legion; something has seemed strange to me since the day I got my Overcast 7, namely the pickups. They sound great but size-wise always just seemed huge to me, both aesthetically and from a playability perspective. Wasn't sure if it was a normal 7-string issue as this is my first ERG but I compared some images of the 7's and 8's on their site and it looks like they're using the Abasi Fishman 8's for both models. I have literally no idea why this could be, other than possibly cutting costs on routing templates or possibly discounts for bulk ordering, but I like to pick pretty close to the bridge and the edge of the pickup passes pretty far out from underneath the strings which means I have to change my technique around a bit...

I do still really like mine and this isn't a dealbreaker/reason to sell but I realize there are quite a few out there with their share of issues and want to give people as much information as possible.

Attachments

• legion.png
    legion.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 55

cip 123

Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone that is still considering buying a Legion; something has seemed strange to me since the day I got my Overcast 7, namely the pickups. They sound great but size-wise always just seemed huge to me, both aesthetically and from a playability perspective. Wasn't sure if it was a normal 7-string issue as this is my first ERG but I compared some images of the 7's and 8's on their site and it looks like they're using the Abasi Fishman 8's for both models. I have literally no idea why this could be, other than possibly cutting costs on routing templates or possibly discounts for bulk ordering, but I like to pick pretty close to the bridge and the edge of the pickup passes pretty far out from underneath the strings which means I have to change my technique around a bit...

I do still really like mine and this isn't a dealbreaker/reason to sell but I realize there are quite a few out there with their share of issues and want to give people as much information as possible.
A lot of companies use 8 string pickups on multiscale 7's. It helps make sure the full range of strings is covered by the pickup.

I don't know if it's the same on higher end lines but, it's not that unusual.

HellaSickTight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot of companies use 8 string pickups on multiscale 7's. It helps make sure the full range of strings is covered by the pickup.

I don't know if it's the same on higher end lines but, it's not that unusual.
Yea! Fishman recommends using the 7-string pickups for multiscale 6s because the rails are longer. I assume it’s the same with the 7s using 8s pickups.

The more I think about it the more I wasn’t a fan of how far the slanted soapbars stuck out. I kept hitting it and scratching it with my pick on accident. I got slanted Lundgrens in my Aristides order I just put in, which I think will do a better job.

Last edited:

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Okay so I’ve had some time with her. It’s okay. Nothing remarkable.

I love the neck and the number 2 position is great.
Going from the legion to my aristide

It’s like eating McDonald’s after you’ve had a fancy restaurant. Also I really dislike this shape being a right leg player. Pass.

Only blemish is a mark on pickup. The nut is totally fine

HellaSickTight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

It’s like eating McDonald’s after you’ve had a fancy restaurant. Also I really dislike this shape being a right leg player. Pass.

So what you’re saying is: “THE MCRIB IS BACK!”

Daniel Leu

SacredStolen
Reaction score
Yea! Fishman recommends using the 7-string pickups for multiscale 6s because the rails are longer. I assume it’s the same with the 7s using 8s pickups.

The more I think about it the more I wasn’t a fan of how far the slanted soapbars stuck out. I kept hitting it and scratching it with my pick on accident. I got slanted Lundgrens in my Aristides order I just put in, which I think will do a better job.

That makes sense. Glad to hear there's reasoning behind it and not a corner-cut. I think my next EGR will have to have slanted pickups in it.

I'm assuming you're saying the Legion is the McDonald's in this case?

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Some J7s have less bridge pickup output on the high e compared to high b and other strings. I guess that's a pickup alignment/pickup design problem. I think @HungryGuitarStudent reported this issue to Ivan and they're working with Fishman on a new version of the pickups specifically for multiscale.

That is correct, it is indeed a “feature” of J7s, which is possibly why Abasi is using 8-string pickups in the Legions as @Daniel Leu was saying.

I discussed this issue with Ivan after doing tests in Logic to quantify the dB difference between high e and b strings for the bridge pickup of the J7, which is a 7-string pickup.

Fishman is indeed working with Abasi to produce 7-string multiscale pickups with wider magnetic field to address this.

Comparing pics of the bridge pickup of J7s and Legion 7s makes the difference in alignment and string coverage pretty clear.

bzhang9

Reaction score
lol all these people flipping laradas for profit rather than returning them

100 laradas = 20k for reverb, tosin getting a cut?

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
lol all these people flipping laradas for profit rather than returning them

100 laradas = 20k for reverb, tosin getting a cut?
Yeah it’s quite sad. I put mine up then decided to take it down because I’m actually going to give this thing a shot

Reaction score
It was just the larada next to my aristides. For proof so people didn’t think I was making it up

Since we can't access that photo, I'm still thinking that... :D

... just kidding, we trust your word, but we also trust guitar pictures, that's what we are all here for, to SEE guitar pictures we can droll at.