About to buy an ISP Decimator pedal - Advice needed

alvaro

... dat chugga
Reaction score
Hi there,

i think i need a noise supressor pedal. I read about some of them and ISP decimator seems best best quality option.

My setup is following:

Guitar -> RME Fireface instrument input -> Amplitube 3 VST on PC

The reason is, when i turn off the built-in gate in Amplitube, i notice some hum. With gate on, it dissapears, but of course affects to my guitar sustain. So i thought a noise supressor pedal between guitar and RME audio card would be a good investment. I play metal music but sometimes i switch to clean sounds too.

Would a ISP decimator be a smart buy for my setup?

regular ISP pedal, or the new G-string version?

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

raximkoron

Reaction score
For your particular setup, the G-string version wouldn't work since you don't have an effects loop.

It's pretty difficult to record a high gain instrument close to a computer since the guitar picks up a lot of the interference that the computer emits. I've heard some people have better luck if you can turn on "Spread Spectrum" in the BIOS on the computer, but that never really helped me much.

Still, using a decimator will help, but if the interference is too high, it's not going to help much more than Amplitube's built in one.

alvaro

... dat chugga
Reaction score
but the G-string version has too a guitar input like the regular one, yes?

ISP-Decimator-G-String_01.jpg

PS. i am asking for advice cause i don't have the chance to try before buy, so anyone who has experienced before on my setup (virtual amp sim) could help me to decide, thank you

raximkoron

Reaction score
The G-string has an in and an out, and an FX Loop send and return. The way you'd have to hook the G-string up to get any sound out of it is to bridge the "Dec In" and "Dec Out" with a mono patch cord thus defeating the purpose of the FX loop portion of it.

If you found a good deal on one, go for it, but they are almost twice as expensive as the standard Decimator and it wouldn't offer you any extra benefit.

drenzium

Reaction score
The G-string has an in and an out, and an FX Loop send and return. The way you'd have to hook the G-string up to get any sound out of it is to bridge the "Dec In" and "Dec Out" with a mono patch cord thus defeating the purpose of the FX loop portion of it.

If you found a good deal on one, go for it, but they are almost twice as expensive as the standard Decimator and it wouldn't offer you any extra benefit.

alvaro

... dat chugga
Reaction score

thank you raximkoron

so both the standard Decimator and the G-string version deliver the same noise reduction algorithm? if that is the case, of course i would go for the standard... as you said i don't need the FX loop option.