About upgrading my K7..

• Thread starter Black_Sheep
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
So i own an Ibanez K7 (as some of you might remember), bought it about a year ago and have been in love ever since.

It's a 01 model with Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge and the original PAF 7 in the neck. The color is firespark blue (love it!)

The main problem im having (and have had for some time now) is that there's bits of rust in the bridge, mostly only in the tailpieces (don't know if that's the right word, what i mean is the parts you put the strings in) and i've been thinking about replacing them with new ones (of the same color, obviously). The closest ibby dealer to me said it was possible, but each piece would cost me at least 20€ ...Sounds quite much for a small piece of metal, so, is there a cheaper way to get ibby spare parts? (if not, i shall go with the horrible price)

The second problem im having... like i said the rust is mostly in the pieces im about to replace, but there's a tiny line of it in one of the edges of the bridge, it's small, for now, but i really hate that it's there in the first place. What would be the best way to make sure it doesn't "grow" in there, and is there ways to get rid of it? Yes i do keep my instrument clean and wipe away sweat etc. after playing, but i can't stop sweating, right? :scratch: ...The rust was there already when i bough the guitar, but it's gotten worse over time and me playing the guitar a lot. My other guitars have no such problems.

And at last but not least, im thinking about swapping the pickups for a pair of BKP's. I have heard nothing but good of them. Probably miracle man for the bridge, not sure about neck yet. Any opinions on that? Any experiences of MM in a mahogany bodied 7 ?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance, if anyone gives a helpfull reply. :fawk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
take the trem apart and clean it. then seal it with 3 in 1 oil. i really like the dimarzio evo 7 in the bridge of my k7 \m/

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
+1 on jym's advice

I have a set of Painkillers in my K-7, they sound awesome, but if you can afford it, I would suggest Aftermaths.

Black_Sheep

Reaction score

Haven't ever done that, taken the whole trem of i mean. I've tried to clean it with some all-around cleaning oil but that didn't seem to do much. Could you be more specific maybe? ...(sorry for dumb questions but..)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
also pickguards on k7s look pretty ace \m/

045.jpg

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score

Haven't ever done that, taken the whole trem of i mean. I've tried to clean it with some all-around cleaning oil but that didn't seem to do much. Could you be more specific maybe? ...(sorry for dumb questions but..)

naptha and a toothbrush

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread just reminded me that I need to do the same with my k7. Im a little saddened because mine has some finish wear on the trem and headstock tuners, the finish can literally rub off if I were to touch it :ugh:

dunno

Reaction score
I have K-7 with miracle man in the bridge. Sounds really awesome, but it depends what kind of tone you like. It`s a little scooped in mids, but in a good way. I was always fan of Nevermore, Arch Enemy and stuff like that so I basically asked for that direction when I was ordering BKP. It`s ridiculously clear, it has awesome dynamics response, feels like its lower output pickup than my PAF7 in terms of feel, but still sounds much more agressive and hotter. You have to play with its height quite a bit to get the sweet spot and rolling off the volume on guitar a bit back makes it sound even better. Here`s a little demo I recorded. It`s 2 tracks of Ibanez K-7 with miracle man in the bridge panned hard left and right. No post effects. Recorded through boosted Mesa Triple rectifier.
We Desintegrate riff test by PETER138 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free