Acoustic Steel String Acoustic 8's @ Rondo Music: Wood Selection Thread (For Real)

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choose all that apply

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tmfrank

Reaction score
Oh man, a multi-scale 7 acoustic would be a dream. Especially with a mic-based electronics system. If it's an under saddle system, however, I might go for the one without electronics. Either way, I'm super excited to see these when they come out!

Is there any way for us to know the best way to get string sets for these guitars, Kurt?

tmfrank

Reaction score
Dangerously close to buying one, but I'm just curious how I'm going to restring it...

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Dangerously close to buying one, but I'm just curious how I'm going to restring it...

La Bella sells singles direct in workable gauges. Mention that you're buying for an Agile 8 string acoustic, they have the winding specs for them on hand and it'll save you a lot of hassle/back-and-forth of trying to get the tapers on the low strings right (and you will want them tapered, trust me). The bridge side taper is perhaps farther away than it actually needs to be, but it gets the job done.

Kurt, any news on cases?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
La Bella sells singles direct in workable gauges. Mention that you're buying for an Agile 8 string acoustic, they have the winding specs for them on hand and it'll save you a lot of hassle/back-and-forth of trying to get the tapers on the low strings right (and you will want them tapered, trust me). The bridge side taper is perhaps farther away than it actually needs to be, but it gets the job done.

Oooh! What gauges, specifically? Anything larger than a .078"?

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
.078 might be their highest, I don't remember off hand. Not particularly relevant for me since I run one low string and one high. Thickest I go is a .072 for a low A and I'm still toying with the idea of moving up to a low B if those D'addario nyxl strings pan out at 25".

I should really do a NGD, I still haven't posted one... :lol:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How do people feel about a 7 or 8 string classical?

Kurt

I'd be interested in a 8-string (A-D-E-A-D-G-B-E two sets of R-5-8 in the bass), but it would have to be this or the Multi-scaled 8-string Acoustic, and the multi-scaled Renaissance would win out -- Providing it keeps the current string spacing at the nut.

It's comforting to see that the stock of the multi-scaled was sold before I could buy one.

Ray

trem licking

Reaction score
i've already posted this in another thread, but for consistency how about a 10 string classical? google yepes tuning... to be able to do that would be amazing!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The guitar that we talked about for the purposes of this run has already been created and I think they have another run of them coming out starting next month. It might actually be a good idea to email Kurt and ask how he feels about doing acoustics with more or less strings...

It seems that after we were able to get enough interest in an 8 string guitar, he was willing to make it. When they sold well enough for a while after that, and folks requested 9s and 10s, they definitely came out soon thereafter.

It might be worth organizing another few polls to see how much interest there is in other such instruments...

How many strings?
What kind of strings?
Scale lengths?
Etc?

Now that this one is done we have some pretty good groundwork for what might be feasible in other models with more or less strings. I hear a lot of talk of him possibly releasing a 7 string version of this axe, but that might just be wishful thinking on the part of those from whom I hear it. :shrug:

Hybrid138

Reaction score
Did you get the last one? I went back to get one of the two remaining a couple of days ago, and they were both gone. :noplease:

Ray

Woah! I would think the batches were larger this time but I bought one ASAP because I didn't want them to sell out.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
By the way I got a straight fretted 8 and its holding drop Eb pretty damn well on the stock strings. :shred:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
How do people feel about a 7 or 8 string classical?

Kurt

In a word... please? Pretty please even?

But also please for a Brahms-esque multiscale option on the 8s :) Brahms guitars are usually about 24.2-25.6" (615-650 mm). I'm not fussy about the exact values, I just want an 8 string classical with a reliable A4 string without being forced to use specialized strings. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, that would be a guaranteed day 1 buy for me.