Add locking nut to rgd7ucs neck?

• Thread starter bmth4111
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bmth4111

Reaction score
I really like the no inlay Ebony look of the rgd7ucs neck but need a trem guitar. So I was thinking about how hard it would be to add a locking nut to a rgd7ucs nuck to use it on a rgd2127z body.

I feel like the headstock looks pretty flat and like it could work but I'm not sure.

Has anyone done this?if so how hard was it and what did it cost you?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a simple procedure, but it's a precise one. You have to route a "shelf" for it, in place of the current nut, and then glue a small fillet just behind as you need a couple extra millimeters of material to rest the locking nut on properly.

You could just bolt one to the facing of the headstock, but it's going to mean you'll have to remove the whole thing for truss rod adjustment and it'll pretty ugly.

Adding a locking nut is (was) fairly common, so it's definitely not uncharted waters. You just have to think about how much time, energy, and money you want to throw at it.

cult

Reaction score
You could also use good locking tuners and a nicely lubricated nut if you don't want to modify the neck too heavily.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
You also could buy a RGD2127z and have someone pull the dot inlays and replace them with rosewood plugs that match the board. This would be much cheaper than buying both guitars just to swap the necks.

I've had this done to a bass and it worked out flawlessly. You could then dye the board if you wanted it super dark, but some of the 2127z seem to have pretty dark boards as is. I can recommend someone who can do this if you're interested.

Omzig

Reaction score
I did this a few months back with a RGAIX6U-ABS (such catchy names ibby use....)

I ended up using a bit of richlite from an old fretboard i removed a few years back,i found out in the past that this stuff hates tightbond so i justed used some CA,then level/edged it up

97v22q.jpg

you'll also have to move the truss rod cover back and maybe add a bar behind to force the break angle back down & you might only beable to use the stright section of an allan key to alter the rod unless your bend section is a bit longer (ohhh!)

bmth4111

Reaction score
Yeah. Damn I wish there were more locking ebony non inlay necks/guitars. Supprised it is so rare with Ibanez guitars or production models in general.

I really like the stainless steel frets on the rgd7ucs neck.

But the inlay removal idea is smart.

bmth4111

Reaction score
You could also use good locking tuners and a nicely lubricated nut if you don't want to modify the neck too heavily.

How stable is a trem without a locking nut though? I want to be able to do dive bombs and trem abuse of needed without tuning issues.

bmth4111

Reaction score
I did this a few months back with a RGAIX6U-ABS (such catchy names ibby use....)

I ended up using a bit of richlite from an old fretboard i removed a few years back,i found out in the past that this stuff hates tightbond so i justed used some CA,then level/edged it up

97v22q.jpg

you'll also have to move the truss rod cover back and maybe add a bar behind to force the break angle back down & you might only beable to use the stright section of an allan key to alter the rod unless your bend section is a bit longer (ohhh!)

nice job, I would definitely have a pro do this for me. I like the idea of using richlite too, since I have some concern about the material under the locking nut compressing. Any issues after the install?