Adding reverb on metal rhythm without losing clarity?

Antiphase

Reaction score
I recently was introduced to the trick where they add a small amount of reverb to get guitars more voluminous and I really like that feel but even the smallest percentage leads to some audible clarity issues, I hear some ringing in the mid-hi frequencies, I also tried lo-pass and hi-pass on reverb but it`s still there. Wonder if anyone does it and maybe some more tips on that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antiphase

Reaction score
I `m using Room/Studio type reverb because I think that`s the most appropriate, like a cabinet is mic`d in the Room, right? What is exactly parallel? Like send? No, I just drop a reverb onto guitar bus and mix it like 5-10% of Wet. Isn`t it the same?

I`m using free reverbs. from Acon, Varity of Sound, Sandford, Noiz Labs and others.

I also saw some people recommend adding some reverb at mastering to glue the mix more but that doesn`t sound good to me at all

nice music you`ve got, btw

Last edited:

Antiphase

Reaction score
most of reverbs I use don`t have a control over reflections lenght, but some do. Maybe that`s the problem, I`ll try it, thanks!

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Shorten up the decay, if you’re using a pedal. If using something with presets, many of them have presets with “Early Reflections” in the description. Otherwise, experiment with the settings until you get the desired results. Many of the same early reflection applications of snare drums apply for guitar use. In fact many snare drum applications have multiple reverbs stacked, ie; an early reflections application to brighten up the transient, and then a later longer one to get the desire verb effect.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Shorten up the decay, if you’re using a pedal. If using something with presets, many of them have presets with “Early Reflections” in the description. Otherwise, experiment with the settings until you get the desired results. Many of the same early reflection applications of snare drums apply for guitar use. In fact many snare drum applications have multiple reverbs stacked, ie; an early reflections application to brighten up the transient, and then a later longer one to get the desire verb effect.
As always, the key to success on this is "less is more". You're looking for subtle things that will aid to the whole recipe later. When you listen to it in the context of a mix, if the effect is obviously noticeable, you may want to back off of it just a touch.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
It sounds like you’re using a DAW, so create a new track/aux, add the reverb 100% wet, and send the guitar bus to it. I usually high pass around 300hz and low pass around 6.8k to clean up the mud, remove any harsh or potentially sibilant frequencies, and rolling off high end generally makes the reverb sound “behind” the main guitars. Control the send level (or turn the aux track way down), so you can’t necessarily hear the reverb, but absolutely notice it missing when you mute the channel.

Then, on the reverb aux track, add a compressor after the reverb. You should experiment with settings, but to get you started, try an 8:1 ratio, auto makeup gain off, fast attack (20ms), mediumish release (400ms), and shoot for maybe 6-10dB of gain reduction. Then side chain the guitar bus to the compressor.

With the side chain: every note you play will automatically reduce the reverb volume and it’ll only really swell back up in the background when there’s space between notes. It’ll give you a very transparent depth and thickness in all the appropriate places.

Antiphase

Reaction score
Well sure I use DAW, is it possible not to use it nowadays? Like straight to Studer tape recorder from the SSL 4000 with a dozen of rack effects inserted?))) I`m not that rich =(
Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply, now I see why the send method is way more superior as it`s even more flexible. Now I think I know enough about this topic

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Fair enough :lol: I meant using a DAW vs using a reverb pedal for bedroom/band practice jams

Antiphase

Reaction score
I was just thinking like you probaly meant hardware reverb units, my bad, I`m just working with plugins only for so long I forgot about that stuff

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
I wish I knew what kind of music you are playing, you should just share us your track so we can help you better. If it is metal, just don't use reverb on your rhythm. There is no reason for it.