Post your pedalboard

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
As of last night:

IMG_0236.jpeg

Fuzzface (below tu-3) probably getting a shootout with a solidgoldfx spanish castle this week..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I use plugins now that I don't gig anymore.

But, this is my beginning-to-learn daughter's that I put together. Boss ME-20, into a Behringer GDI amp modelers, going into an FRFR. I installed it on a cool board with tribal designs I found at Goodwill for almost nothing. I fixed the pedals on it using bicycle chain links.

Shask

Reaction score
I lived without a pedalboard for like ever xD
But I never had any need, in the beginng my Line6 Amp had all the effects in it a beginner would need...
later I was an early 2000`s rack guy who had all his gear rackmounted and only a midi switcher for the feet (I hate midi with passion by the way)
So now I am old and only play for fun I am enjoying more and more boutique stuff and buy one amp after the other I finally had the need for some Pedals...
might get an MXR 10 Band EQ but then I am out of need for Pedals again I guess since I need them more for "pre processing in front of a tube amp" for "Effects" I still use Rack gear in the Loop:

View attachment 144505
What rack effects do you use?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaand as of today :lol:

Triangle muff and sd1 off, plexiranger covering their jobs and trying the zendrive loaner once i get an empty house.

My buddy who just helped with the board: “its like i didnt even do it” :lol:

IMG_0257.jpeg

SDD and tonebender still en route.. and the spanish castle to tentatively replace the fuzzmug

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Looks like last time I revamped a board was in 2022 on the old post my pedalboard 2022 edition thread. So... it's time to roast this pedalboard rig!

20240619_163240.jpg20240619_163336.jpg

I have had that Crate GX212+ since like 1994. It has never really been worth selling. Many of us are all-too-familiar with the sound of nineties Crate solid state amps and Grunge era DOD pedals. The effects loop of that Crate has always been an issue too, since it had an insert/effects loop; it has always required a TRS splitter to effectively use it. I had a spare VHT Valvulator tube buffer unused, so figured I'd use it in the effects loop of the Crate as a tube driver stage with a Volume X mini pedal after to tame the master volume. The experiment actually worked and the Crate sounds at least a little better with a driven tube in the circuit.

MXR/CAE 401 buffer
ISP Deci-mate X noise gate
Pro Tone Pedals phaser
Dunlop Crybaby 535q mini wah
Pro Tone Pedals Dead Horse overdrive
DOD FX70C Corrosion distortion
Crate GX212+ combo
Rattlesnake TRS splitter (insert / effects loop)
VHT Valvulator tube buffer
Dunlop Volume X mini
Pro Tone Pedals delay
Crate GX212+ power section
Celestion G12H-80 speakers

The Valvulator is also powering all seven pedals by powering 3 directly at 9 volts and utilizing a Voodo Lab x4 expander on the 12 volt output to deliver 9 volts to the other four. Both the Valvulator and the Crate are getting AC from a Furman AC215 power conditioner.

I think that it is the best that old Crate has ever sounded, or can ever sound. Between the Crate GX distortion pushed with the Dead Horse overdrive and the DOD Corrosion pedal, there are some nice abrasive sounds on board easily capable of nineties blackened death metal (Dissection / At the Gates) and hard industrial grind (NIN, Ministry, Godflesh).

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The prior rig I posted is my old Crate backup rig / pedalboard platform. My main rigs are running on my Mesa rack and with my Mark 525.

20240619_163628.jpg
This rig has a Russian Pickle fuzz at the front end before the VHT buffer (underneath the board). The buffer has second output sidechained to the Strobostomp tuner and the detection input of the ISP Decimator II G-string.

The main buffer output goes through to the amp via:
Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe
Dunlop Crybaby Junior wah
Seymour Duncan 805 overdrive (at 12 volts)
Mesa/Boogie Mark 525

The Boogie's loop goes back to the board:
ISP Decimator II G-string
Way Huge Echo Puss delay
Walrus SLO reverb

Then the amp goes out to my Mesa Road King 2x12 cabinet or my little EarCandy 2x8 Bailey, depending on my mood and volume needs.

20240619_163632.jpg

My main big pedalboard seats my Rocktron MIDI Mate to control my Mesa Triaxis, Simul 2:Ninety, and TC Electronic G-major rack effects. The Dunlop Volume X mini is utilized as expression control for the G-major. The front end effects are as follows:

Mesa/Boogie Stowaway input buffer (18 volts)
ISP Decimator II
Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe
Pro Tone Pedals Cor mid boost (12 volts)
Dunlop Crybaby Q-zone fixed wah
Peper's Pedals Dirty Tree boost

This goes directly into the Triaxis with the G-major in the loop, then on to the Simul 2:Ninety and my Mesa Road King 2x12 cab.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Latest rev with a new board and power supply. Both pieces came from Temu and they're not bad for using at home.

I swap between the Dino od or an SD1 depending on how I'm feeling. The Dino can get a lot brighter and tighter when boosting the other distortions but the SD1 is a little warmer. I should put both on but I want to add a tuner and maybe another modulation effect or something.

Screenshot_20240619_190102_Gallery.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
Latest rev with a new board and power supply. Both pieces came from Temu and they're not bad for using at home.

I swap between the Dino od or an SD1 depending on how I'm feeling. The Dino can get a lot brighter and tighter when boosting the other distortions but the SD1 is a little warmer. I should put both on but I want to add a tuner and maybe another modulation effect or something.

View attachment 145348
I have always wondered how similar the Dino is from a Precision Drive. It seems pretty similar.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have always wondered how similar the Dino is from a Precision Drive. It seems pretty similar.
ProTone had the Bulb overdrive, which later got rebranded as a couple of other endorsee names before becoming the Dino drive. I think they were all based on the same circuit. Since ProTone kept making the circuit when Misha stopped endorsing them, it was just renamed.

The Horizon drive was based on what Misha liked about the Bulb overdrive, so he had a noise gate added and worked it out for MXR to manufacture the actual pieces. The Precision Drive is essentially an improved version of the Bulb overdrive with a noise gate added.

Shask

Reaction score
ProTone had the Bulb overdrive, which later got rebranded as a couple of other endorsee names before becoming the Dino drive. I think they were all based on the same circuit. Since ProTone kept making the circuit when Misha stopped endorsing them, it was just renamed.

The Horizon drive was based on what Misha liked about the Bulb overdrive, so he had a noise gate added and worked it out for MXR to manufacture the actual pieces. The Precision Drive is essentially an improved version of the Bulb overdrive with a noise gate added.
The Precision Drive is basically a TS 808 with switchable caps for low end response. It seems like that is what all of these are. Basically a Tubescreamer with a clicky knob to switch caps to change the low end cut.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Precision Drive is basically a TS 808 with switchable caps for low end response. It seems like that is what all of these are. Basically a Tubescreamer with a clicky knob to switch caps to change the low end cut.
I don't have a Tube Screamer but compared to my SD1, I think the Dino sounds pretty similar to that.

To me, the SD1 has more of a mid bump than the Dino, unless the bass cut control also cuts into some of the midrange to make it seem less mid-humpy.

Shask

Reaction score
I don't have a Tube Screamer but compared to my SD1, I think the Dino sounds pretty similar to that.

To me, the SD1 has more of a mid bump than the Dino, unless the bass cut control also cuts into some of the midrange to make it seem less mid-humpy.
Yeah, as you raise the frequency to cut the bass more, you start cutting into the mid frequencies, which would make them seem less.

For example, a typical Tubescreamer cuts 720hz and below for the bass, and then after the clipping stage, cuts 720hz and above. That creates the /\ type of EQ curve, centered at 720hz.

So, say you start cutting the bass at 1000hz instead, but then still 720 and above, then that 720hz - 1000hz range would also come down because it is in the bass cut zone.

I forget the exact frequencies of the SD-1, but it does the same thing around 1200hz. That is why it has more upper mid attack and less bass than a 808 type.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, as you raise the frequency to cut the bass more, you start cutting into the mid frequencies, which would make them seem less.

For example, a typical Tubescreamer cuts 720hz and below for the bass, and then after the clipping stage, cuts 720hz and above. That creates the /\ type of EQ curve, centered at 720hz.

So, say you start cutting the bass at 1000hz instead, but then still 720 and above, then that 720hz - 1000hz range would also come down because it is in the bass cut zone.

I forget the exact frequencies of the SD-1, but it does the same thing around 1200hz. That is why it has more upper mid attack and less bass than a 808 type.
Have you seen any info on the Dino? Now I'm curious about some nerdery lol

Shask

Reaction score
Have you seen any info on the Dino? Now I'm curious about some nerdery lol
No, but that is why I have been curious, lol. I am wondering how the Dino is different. I have not seen any schematics for it though.

The typical Precision Drive changes the capacitor that changes the low cut on the clicky switch. I think they say position 3 is the Tubescreamer setting. I would have to do the math, but I bet the positions do something like 400hz, 600hz, 720hz, 800hz, 900hz, 1000hz, 1200hz, 1500hz, etc.... each time you increase the frequency, you will get more and more of a bass cut.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Here is my board that is for my home studio.

View attachment 139132

Nothing too fancy but its:

Guitar --> Palmer Y splitter (to record the raw DI) --> ISP Decimator G String 2 (before the amp input/output) --> boss chromatic tuner --> TS9/Savage Drive 5/HM808 (whichever overdrive i want to run or not) --> Amp (atm 5153 50 watt or the Randall Satan 50) --> FX Loop (ISP Decimator G string 2 FX loop input/output) --> Redseven Amp Central --> Back to the pedalboard for stereo time based effects which are the tc electronic mimiq (i only use this for cleans or dialing in the tone) --> Boss DD7 --> Boss RV6 --> back to the amp central fx loop return --> audio interface (apogee quartet).

I also have a palmer reamp box as well for reamping that is shown here.

I run my time based effects in stereo mainly because its amazing for cleans and leads. All of my cables have been replaced with evidence audio lyric hg cables and the evidence audio monorail SIS pedalboard kit. Its been expensive and something i have been slowly doing over the last 6 months but its been a massive difference. All that is left is to replace the xlr cables between the amp central and audio interface and ill be finished with that. Looking at some sommer reference XLR cables for this but ill need to wait a bit.
Tell me about the Mimiq and that HM808!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
20240621_215642.jpg
Undercarriage shot of my latest pedalboard revamp. Nope, I didn't do anything for cable management. Yup, some of those are cheap AF D'addario patch cables and reworked Monster cables. Yup, the Pedal Power x4 is feeding off the 12 volt output from the Fryette Valvulator. And yeah, I did pair Pro Tone Pedals, Crate, and DOD for some definite disgusting sounds!20240619_163336.jpg

gclef

Reaction score
My old board had bogner blue and red pedals, a tube screamer, and a tuner.

My new board is a gx100. That's it.