Advantage of using bare/uninsulated wire for grounding?

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've seen some guys use this for their ground wires when wiring guitars up and whatnot. Is there actually any advantage or is it all preference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All else being equal, insulation on a ground wire might help support it mechanically and keep it from breaking due to excessive movement, and it will help keep it from shorting out points that are carrying signal — like the places where solder connections are made to tie components together at points that will experience other than ground voltage. You don’t want to short those points to ground while the guitar is in use, and an insulated ground wire could help with that.

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
I mean it is usually a little cheaper to buy bare copper wire, plus if you have extra wire of the wrong color lying around you could just strip any of them and now its a ground wire lol. One really inst better than the other for ground though, other than the above mentioned accidental short from bare wire. If you keep your wiring neat then either is fine really. The cost savings for bare copper would only help giant manufactures not someone at home wiring up a few guitars.

Warmart

Reaction score
The advantage is soldering it in multiple places (pot tops, multi-switch common) without having to sweat stripping it.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
My USA B.C. Rich didn't even have ground wire, everything was just soldered straight to a copper plate.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
Yep, for a home builder, the ground wires get routed past so many items that could "ground them", it's best to run an insulated wire and only ground where you want.
Having recently done some complex wiring (super strat switching with kill switch), this came in handy.

Reaction score
I've seen some guys use this for their ground wires when wiring guitars up and whatnot. Is there actually any advantage or is it all preference?
Luthier here, you can ground with a thick enough piece of a guitar string. If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

That said, there's really no advantage or disadvantage to either.

Latest posts