Rabea signs with EBMM

• Thread starter Kwert
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's new, it didn't use to happen.

I don't think that's completely right in context.

A lot of the niche guitar players we know for their technical ability didn't get deals strictly because of the bands they were in, but because of their activity on the clinic and educational circuit that was popping up in the early 80's. Part of that was being a salesperson for the brand that payed much of the costs of that circuit.

Paul Gilbert got his initial Ibanez endorsement, not for his work in Racer X or Mr.Big, but his notoriety amongst the Shrapnel Records and GIT guys from doing exhibitions and clinics.

Joe Pass would basically break out into an Ibanez ad when playing the sit-in/trio rounds all over the world between sets.

When you see the format of a lot of YouTube Guitar Influencers it definitely harkens back to how clinics felt back in the 90's. You play some guitar, maybe not a fleshed out song, but snippets. You talk about gear. Play a few more snippets, talk some more shop, maybe discuss techniques or theory a bit. But it always comes back to selling the gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

A lot of the niche guitar players we know for their technical ability didn't get deals strictly because of the bands they were in, but because of their activity on the clinic and educational circuit that was popping up in the early 80's. Part of that was being a salesperson for the brand that payed much of the costs of that circuit.

Paul Gilbert got his initial Ibanez endorsement, not for his work in Racer X or Mr.Big, but his notoriety amongst the Shrapnel Records and GIT guys from doing exhibitions and clinics.

Joe Pass would basically break out into an Ibanez ad when playing the sit-in/trio rounds all over the world between sets.

When you see the format of a lot of YouTube Guitar Influencers it definitely harkens back to how clinics felt back in the 90's. You play some guitar, maybe not a fleshed out song, but snippets. You talk about gear. Play a few more snippets, talk some more shop, maybe discuss techniques or theory a bit. But it always comes back to selling the gear.

Don't forget that it's easier for gear companies to hedge their bets on young, talented players hitting it big with all other factors being equal.

Guys like Vai and Gilbert were on a meteoric rise to fame by the time Ibanez picked them up. Gilbert signed in 1989 and released a record with Mr Big that same year, which Gilbert has confessed was his and Billy Sheahan's attempt to mirror the commercial success of the big studio bands like Toto. Neither Gilbert nor Ibanez could've known what would happen to popular music soon after, though Gilbert managed to make the most of his career regardless.

Recruiting established players to artist rosters can be quite a bit harder. They have more negotiating power, for one.

Influencers are a bit of both, by which I mean that they have one foot in that clinic world you're talking about and another in the performing world with a fandom. It seems to me that guitar companies still look to endorse influencers with more traditional commercial viability (Rabea is a far cry from, say, Phil McKnight), which obviously reflects an interest in their playing that goes beyond the clinic/influencing side of it.

gnoll

Reaction score

That's a good point, I didn't think about that.

Anyway I gotta say I care very little who actually has a sig or not.

But! If someone gave me one I would spec something killer. So, you know...

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Treating this like the Rabea general discussion thread for a moment,

His new band is called Vower and their first single is great. I especially dig the vocal performance:

I was not previously familiar with this guy. I dig his choices, and his execution is clinical.

I've loved Rabea's playing forever so I'd love for Vower's first album to be great. Hoping for another single or two soon.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Treating this like the Rabea general discussion thread for a moment,

His new band is called Vower and their first single is great. I especially dig the vocal performance:

I was not previously familiar with this guy. I dig his choices, and his execution is clinical.

I've loved Rabea's playing forever so I'd love for Vower's first album to be great. Hoping for another single or two soon.

The Totemist was pretty cool so I'm glad he and Liam decided to do something else as well. Also as weird as it sounds this is probably the most "accessible" thing Bea's done in awhile lol. Very straightforward with vocals. Still great tho.

yanlin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't wanna open up a can of worms here, but just to catch up, how would he compare to someone like Pete Thorn and Keith Merrow in terms of pure guitar / musical ability and accomplishments?

Moongrum

Reaction score
I don't wanna open up a can of worms here, but just to catch up, how would he compare to someone like Pete Thorn and Keith Merrow in terms of pure guitar / musical ability and accomplishments?
Depends on how you want to measure their dicks. Pete plays a lot more live shows it seems. Rabea has more subscribers, so reaches more young people, I imagine. Keith made an album with Jeff Loomis, made a legendary seymour duncan demo clip, then disappeared. Each has done something, I guess.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say its entirely subjective really.
Merrow has done some pickup vids that I found really helpful, some guitars I really like the look of, and some music that sounded great to my ears. He then joined a band I was already aware of.
Rabea's output up to the most recent video has not been to my taste at all, neither are his guitars. I know people who love him though, and his output doesn't seem to be sensationalist or clickbaitey to get view etc. Not that any of the other guys mentioned are, but saying he's another whose success seems deserved.
As for Pete Thorn, aside from reading his name on here a few times, I'm not familiar with him.
Musical ability is a strange one because I would say Merrow writes a better song than Rabea. However, from just how he's discussed here, Pete Thorn must be able to play rings around both of them. Who knows.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really into Conquering Dystopia and Alluvial and used to have a Merrow sig, but vastly prefer Rabea's songwriting and playing style, not that they're really comparable musicians. Rabea will improvise for days in any style you want, whereas Merrow is more about carefully written black(ish) metal. Pete Thorn is good, but don't know if I've heard any of his songs. He seemed like mostly a session/touring mercenary type.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Pete is mostly known for being a hired hand, but he's played with some big names like Chris Cornell. Can't really compete against that lol

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
All of these people his different markets. I know Thorn is a hired gun, but if I want to know if something can do EVH, he is a good source. Bea is a modern player with a foot rooted in 80s hard rock / metal as well. Merrow does heavy stuff. Each one can sell a product to a different person. Hence, marketing.