AI-created death metal

• Thread starter Zer01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Meh. Sad this gets any press as it takes away from legitimately interesting and novel things going on in AI music. Their research is taking some else's code and running it on Archspire :-/

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
This project is actually WAY more interesting than it's getting creddit for in this thread. They've done this experiment with a few different albums from Dillinger, to battles, meshuggah or the beatles. I think there are nine or ten albums/eps now and they lay each song out as the AI learns so the early tracks are more noise/experimental but the album becomes more clear as you listen to it. Therefor anyone jumping into a few seconds of the first track and dismissing it are not actually hearing the AI work.

The most successful ones from the album album "Diotima" by Krallice since black metal is all atmosphere and no substance (I kid), the meshuggah one, and the psyopus one for just being terrifying.

I think there are about a dozen albums cut and most of them are on this bandcamp.

https://dadabots.bandcamp.com/

The beatles one best shows the progression of the AI and tbh I wish the other albums followed the same formula.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Honestly this sounds like Deicide played on 2x speed.
I just played it on half-speed. Nope. I'll stick to humans. The only good AI thing that will exist will be robot sex dolls and slave workers. They don't talk back, You don't have to take them on dates and spend money on them, they don't eat, they don't age, and there always DTF!. I know, I need help. Or do I? :ugh:

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Disappointed, I was expecting a death metal parody from Weird Al Yankovic. I thought the title meant AL (Al) and not AI...
weirdal-cnr3-compressed.jpg
I am on the fence on AI music, I do believe that AI will give us human the boot in the future so music is a secondary consideration. Then again AI can help us with improving our lives so its promotion is inevitable.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
Disappointed, I was expecting a death metal parody from Weird Al Yankovic. I thought the title meant AL (Al) and not AI...
View attachment 68781
I am on the fence on AI music, I do believe that AI will give us human the boot in the future so music is a secondary consideration. Then again AI can help us with improving our lives so its promotion is inevitable.

AI creeps me out. I think we are opening pandora's box. I think we are fucked.

narad

Reaction score
This project is actually WAY more interesting than it's getting creddit for in this thread. They've done this experiment with a few different albums from Dillinger, to battles, meshuggah or the beatles. I think there are nine or ten albums/eps now and they lay each song out as the AI learns so the early tracks are more noise/experimental but the album becomes more clear as you listen to it. Therefor anyone jumping into a few seconds of the first track and dismissing it are not actually hearing the AI work.

The most successful ones from the album album "Diotima" by Krallice since black metal is all atmosphere and no substance (I kid), the meshuggah one, and the psyopus one for just being terrifying.

I think there are about a dozen albums cut and most of them are on this bandcamp.

https://dadabots.bandcamp.com/

The beatles one best shows the progression of the AI and tbh I wish the other albums followed the same formula.

I don't think there's anything interesting going on here in the AI. It's a kind of interesting model, but it's still a generic one, and not one that these guys had anything to do with. Running it on famous bands isn't itself research, and random listeners hear that the model generates locally coherent bits of songs people know, and get excited. That's just local level model bits over-fitting. None of these are getting interesting, repeating, high-level song structures, or true learning of what makes this music interesting at a song or album level. Frankly, the paper never should have been accepted anywhere.

I look forward to the day someone actually looks at genre-specific failings of current models, and proposes interesting extensions to better capture black metal / death metal, etc., in their differences from the piano or pop melodies that are usually the testbed for this type of research.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's very weird. Y'know how when you're at a bar where music is playing in the background but not loud enough, so it becomes a nondescript shuffle of rhythms, vocal sounds, etc.- it's like that but at full volume.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything interesting going on here in the AI. It's a kind of interesting model, but it's still a generic one, and not one that these guys had anything to do with. Running it on famous bands isn't itself research, and random listeners hear that the model generates locally coherent bits of songs people know, and get excited. That's just local level model bits over-fitting. None of these are getting interesting, repeating, high-level song structures, or true learning of what makes this music interesting at a song or album level. Frankly, the paper never should have been accepted anywhere.

I look forward to the day someone actually looks at genre-specific failings of current models, and proposes interesting extensions to better capture black metal / death metal, etc., in their differences from the piano or pop melodies that are usually the testbed for this type of research.

No thanks, I'd rather humans produce the art.

narad

Reaction score
No thanks, I'd rather humans produce the art.

Well hybrid approaches are also interesting and more feasible. The AI makes suggestions, humans iteratively select/curate. I mean, for the most part, music differentiates itself from a lot of other art in that the process is not appreciated or considered an integral part of the piece. Seems a natural foothold for AI-assisted creation.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
Well hybrid approaches are also interesting and more feasible. The AI makes suggestions, humans iteratively select/curate. I mean, for the most part, music differentiates itself from a lot of other art in that the process is not appreciated or considered an integral part of the piece. Seems a natural foothold for AI-assisted creation.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I mean you can kinda do that with a random note generator.