Album Art / CD Covers

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hello !!

So last year I was primarily fixated on Fractals and Fractal Videos. This year in an attempt to make a decent design for my CD Cover, I started playing around with Photoshop.

I'll be posting my covers here for people to see. I ended up making a few in the search of getting a decent cover ....

Most of these are created using Stock pictures and some personal pics. However some were created using Non-Stock pics and I did that just to play and practice techniques and they are not for commercial use :rolleyes:

Most of these will follow some kinda of thematic development as I played around with some themes and made variations of the same with small differences. But on the whole I've tried to cover a large selection of concepts. Hopefully this is enjoyable and inspiring to others out there.

Feel free to comment and share your creations here as well. I could use all the help / inspiration I can get :agreed:

You can follow me on these sites, if you so wish. I'll be posting stuff there as well :

Starting out with a Guitar piece :hbang:

album_cover_example_by_rahulmukerji-d8pataf.jpg

I liked this theme of a boardwalk leading to something. You'll see a lot of that repeating in future pieces.

album_cover_example_by_rahulmukerji-d8kpezc.jpg

These next ones I went with the "Gaussian Blur the background" effect and a fractal in the front. These were titled "Wormholes"

album_cover_example_by_rahulmukerji-d8kpcu1.jpg

album_cover_example_by_rahulmukerji-d8kpdvv.jpg

album_cover_example_by_rahulmukerji-d8kpe9c.jpg

More in the next installment :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leftydudebro

Reaction score
Some of these are freaking awesome, and some kinda miss the mark. I'd say 8/10 on the production though, and that's coming from a graphic design major.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks Leftydudebro !!

I was trying to come up with an Album cover for my CD and decided to give Photomanipulation a try. So these are literally my attempts from "Day 1" onwards :agreed:

So I've been following online tuts and giving it a shot.

I'm glad you like some of them :yesway:

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I find most of them to be too busy (especially in the last two sets).
This is probably my favorite of the whole lot, though I'd try to tone the wooden dock a bit to fit the color scheme a bit more (cooler in color and perhaps slightly warmer by the lamp post as it would emit a different color light from the ambient).
album_cover_example_by_rahulmukerji-d8us53v.jpg

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hey ThePhilosopher :wavey:

Thanks for stopping by !! Yeah, some of them have way too much going on, but I was open to everything from busy to minimal just to add to my portfolio.

That said, I like the feedback on the lamp post image and I'll try and play with it to see if I can get something interesting. Will post it here if it comes out half way decent :lol:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of these are lovely, they truly are, but that said.... what is the theme or feeling of your album? These covers to me, while very nice and beautiful in most regards, still all say generic to me. The use of geometric shapes and abstract shape designs on album covers are really way overused and abused, especially in the electronic music genre. They seriously are, not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just telling it like it is. But again, the real question is which of these images is most inline with your music on the album? What is the band name and the album name? That matters tremendously toward which imagery is an ideal fit. Just like writing songs, if you want something special and coherent it has to be based on some sort of direction that fits the overall scheme.

Again, I love the imagery you've posted, it's lovely work, but I think without knowing the artist name, the album name, and hearing the music, it's hard to really form an opinion on which album covers are the best.

Rev.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks Rev2010 !

You've hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what my co-producer has been saying as well. "Your album art needs to reflect, on some level, the music inside". So you're not being a Debbie Downer :lol:.

Well at this point I think I've come up with a design for my album [its not posted in these ones so far]. These are all the ones I created while trying to pick a candidate.

I'll answer your questions so I can get an idea of what you'd [or anyone else reading this would] expect to see for an album with the following description [plus it'll help me tremendously to see if the piece I've tentatively picked for now does fit the need]

• What is the band name and the album name? - The band, or more accurately, the artist is me: rahul mukerji. Its a Solo Release. The album, at this point, is self titled.
  • The music is Instrumental Indo-Fusion. Think Melodic Rock with Tablas. Here is an example of a piece I'm putting on the CD. This recording is a jam I did back in 2009 which I slightly polished for the CD. This is one of the softer pieces :agreed:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/rahul_mukerji/train-ride-from-siliguri[/SC]

So yeah. in a nutshell: Instrumental Melodic Rock Fusion with Tablas is the best description. No Djent, some odd timings, simple melodies, no 64 note sweeps at break neck speed :shred:

Hope that helps a little. I may have some better representation in July once the tracks are better finalized. :cool:

Latest posts