Albums that feature an ENGL FIREBALL 100???

• Thread starter Gmork
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gmork

Reaction score
I might hopefully be getting one and am stoked. Just wondering if the FB100 is on any albums you know of?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Michael Romeo switched to Fireball/Powerballs for the Odyssey and I believes he's used them since, so any of those would be a combination of the two.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
Suffocation used the ENGL Fireball 100 all the time live whenever they played in Europe, about a decade ago. Although now I believe they roll with the 6505+. While I don't like most ENGL amps, the Fireball 100 (along with Powerball II) are my favorites. The gain is very suitable for death metal, and it’s one of my favorite 2-channel amps. I nearly owned one when suddenly the store I bought mine from said they had sold all of them out and got refunded. Someday, it’s my next head for sure. Cheaper than a Powerball and not as complex to use, but shared EQ.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I keep having my eye on a Fireball 60 Watt, its price is decent too. Is it considered vastly inferior to the 100w or is it just a wattage difference and they are both of similar standing (soundwise in quality not power)?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I would guess Jeff Loomis used them on at least one of the albums? FWIW the Loomis sig is absolutely glorious into a FB100.

Gmork

Reaction score
I keep having my eye on a Fireball 60 Watt, its price is decent too. Is it considered vastly inferior to the 100w or is it just a wattage difference and they are both of similar standing (soundwise in quality not power)?
I keep reading that engl addressed the issues of the fb60 not cutting and being too scooped. All signs point to the fb100 being a true beast

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I keep reading that engl addressed the issues of the fb60 not cutting and being too scooped. All signs point to the fb100 being a true beast

Yup... I played them both an owned a FB100. Not even close. I wouldn't buy a FB60 no matter the price. The FB100 was amazing, it just isn't a versatile amp. It does one (or maybe 2?) things but what it does it's 9+/10 IMO.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
Legion of the damned are using ENGL Fireballs on tours. Haven't seen any footage from studio, so I'm not sure.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't recall if it was a Fireball 100 or Powerball 100, but Judas Priest used them for Redeemer of Souls and a Kemper profile for Firepower. Also check out their live recordings since Richie joined, specifically panned hard left. Richie's the one that uses the Fireball/Powerball.

Last edited:

Gmork

Reaction score
Ok, Captain Solid State...

What prompted this move? :cond:
Haha who ME? Hey i loved my 6505, vtm120, pv rockmaster pre etc. I like what sounds good!
And to answer your question, a mint fireball100 popped up locally (NEVER see them here on vancouver island) for $1200 CAN$
Couldnt pass it up.

wakjob

Reaction score
Haha who ME? Hey i loved my 6505, vtm120, pv rockmaster pre etc. I like what sounds good!
And to answer your question, a mint fireball100 popped up locally (NEVER see them here on vancouver island) for $1200 CAN$
Couldnt pass it up.

Sweet. yeah, do it. Everyone should try an Engl at least once.
i really liked my Blackmore & e530 preamp.

Gmork

Reaction score
On paper it sounds like my dream amp so ive got a sneaking suspicion im going to be in love. Should have it wednesday!
Anyone know how good the built in noise gate is? Can i get rid of my decimator?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

The Blackmore and E530 don't sound anything like the Fireball. Those belong to the "older" ENGL family together with the Screamer, Thunder, Sovereign and of course the Savage 120.

The *ball series are something else. Much more modern sounding, processed, smoother, mids are focused somewhere else and they don't cut through the mix remotely as good as the former. Cleans are kinda "solid-state" sounding with plenty of headroom opposite to the others, which are fatter and break up quite easily.

Very different beasts. The later guilty of spreading the "ENGLs don't cut live" mantra.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Michael Romeo switched to Fireball/Powerballs for the Odyssey and I believes he's used them since, so any of those would be a combination of the two.

So I was going to correct you that Michael Romeo was actually using the Line 6 Vetta (a solid state modelling amp) for the Odyssey, but it turns out he was using that primarily for the Odyssey tour. He must have been one of the more prominent endorsers for Line 6 at the time, because I remember advertisements in all the major guitar magazines.

As for what was used on the record, Romeo explains it himself in this interview from 2002. Sounds like it was a mixture of a Dual Rec and an Engl.

SOT: Quick question about gear…. What did you use to record the album and what will you use to tour with?

MR: For the album, I used a couple different amps. I used a Dual Rectifier and I had Engle amp. Most of the rhythm was done with that. And I still had the Line 6 that I used that for some parts…even some different amp sounds…. Like parts where I needed a semi-dirty sound or a clean-electric sound. It was pretty that… the Rectifier, the Engle, and the Line 6 for the album. For live, I was using the POD for the last year or two. It’s cool that it has all the different sounds you can use, but I think the heavier sounds weren’t quite what a Rectifier would do.

SOT: It doesn’t throw 'air'?

MR: Yeah. You feel it doesn’t really pump. Some nights it would sound really good, and some nights it would sound really thin. I guess it all had to do with where we were playing and the mic setup and all that stuff. With any amp, I guess that’s going to happen.

SOT: Right… the dynamics of the room would affect it.

MR: After hearing the album and using the Engle, the things that I don’t like about all those amps is that you have your clean settings and your distorted settings and for us there’s always a million changes. I need this kind of tone for this, and that kind of tone for that… and with the Line 6, I would have like 8 different sounds for the songs we were doing. Then I didn’t really know what to do… I didn’t want to bring 6 amps out with me, that’s just ridiculous. Then someone told me about the Line 6 Vetta Head. I went…. tried it out….and bought it on the spot. I was a little overwhelmed when I brought it home. It’s not just one amp, you can put two on top of each other… and it can get out of control. You can feel that pump… that air coming out of the speakers. And it has all the switching. For me, that’s just as important. We have to go from clean to ‘this sound’ to distorted to ‘that sound’. And it sounds pretty damn good.​

wakjob

Reaction score
On paper it sounds like my dream amp so ive got a sneaking suspicion im going to be in love. Should have it wednesday!
Anyone know how good the built in noise gate is? Can i get rid of my decimator?

If you can make it and sit through that older Guitar World demo video, I'm pretty sure he (Paul) demo'd how good the Gate is.

Found another one...

Gmork

Reaction score
Holy smokes! The fireball 100 is AWESSSOOOOOOMME!!! i guess it could be the honeymoon phase talking (but i dont think so) but it might be the best sounding amp ive ever heard in person!
It just sounds so pristine, like its been mixed and mastered. Such a wicked grind and so brutal and thumping lowend but so tight. Its perfect imo

wakjob

Reaction score
Holy smokes! The fireball 100 is AWESSSOOOOOOMME!!! i guess it could be the honeymoon phase talking (but i dont think so) but it might be the best sounding amp ive ever heard in person!
It just sounds so pristine, like its been mixed and mastered. Such a wicked grind and so brutal and thumping lowend but so tight. Its perfect imo

Welcome to the world of "German Hi-Fi" guitar amps.
Yes, they are different. Yes, they are killer.