Albums you loved but now hate?

• Thread starter You
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, but at the same time this is a little pedantic. Yes, I'm sure he doesn't mean legitimately "hate". I would venture to say I don't hate any music. Even stuff like ICP I see their appeal, but know at the same time I'm not putting their records on repeat.

I took the thread title as him saying "stuff you used to like but don't listen to anymore because of (insert any reason here)" Plus it was a play on another thread topic that was "stuff you hate but now love".

It's a little bit like when someone says "desert island discs" and you would say "well actually I would take my MP3 player and where would I charge it ya know? Doesn't make any sense." It's not meant to be taken literally, but rather as an exercise in music fandom.

Eh, it sounds pedantic, but like the other guy explained for me, it's pretty much true when it comes to "do you still LIKE it," not simply "do you now HATE IT?"

I can't really think of anything I legitimately liked and stopped liking. I've even looked at my folder of stuff I ripped in college into a folder called "OLD TERRIBLE CDs," and while some of them may be objectively terrible, I still enjoy them all on some level! I guess in college I was more in my "I'm smart now I was dumb in high school" phase. There are some bad CDs in there, but they're mostly the ones I bought cause they were part of the general kind of stuff I liked, and I never liked them (ex, Godsmack's CD was all bad besides Moon Baby, Soulfly's second album was pretty dire, I got Sublime to be cool but What I've Got is one of the worst songs ever). I still like all of these that I ever really liked - ex Mariah Carey - Daydream, Boyz II Men - Cooleyhighharmony, Orgy - Candyass, Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe, etc. Even Coal Chamber's second album, as cringeworthy as it is!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chiba666

Reaction score
I would say I hate the bands or albums but they nolonger do anything for me, I can still apreciate the song writing and the skill but the music dosnt hit the same spot it once did.

Chimaira, Devildriver, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Shadows Fall, Ill nino, FLA and a few others.

Don't write bad music just does nothing for me anymore

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I hit my teens right at the peak of grunge. It seemed like everyone had a copy of the latest Nirvana or Pearl Jam album, and I was no different. As I listened to it more and more, I wondered: "Why do I feel so down when I listen to this stuff?"

"Don't call me daughter -- not fit to. The picture kept will remind me."
"Rape me."
"Your real daddy was dying."
"I'm so happy... 'cause today I found my friends. They're in my head."

Guess what? It's not happy music when you think about it. It's not hopeful music. It has catchy hooks, but so much of it deals with loneliness, hopelessness, abuse, depression. Not surprising, then, that some of that would rub off after a while.

So I quit listening to it: music that glorified (or at least was glorified by the amount of airplay it got) this side of life. There's nothing wrong with a sad song, but it's not great for a steady diet.

To this day, I haven't stuck "Ten" or "Vs." back in the cassette player (yep, listened to 'em on my Walkman), and I'd prefer not to hear them in the grocery store, on the radio, etc. When I do, it's a reminder of a confused, unhappy time in my life, full of confused, unhappy music, often created by confused, unhappy people. But with catchy hooks.

Then I go listen to "Taxi War Dance" or "Better Get It In Your Soul" and the world starts to right itself.

Think there is definitely something in this! I really thought a lot of depressive music was me exploring *me*, but I could definitely have done with some happier music and I may have been a happier person for it! The whole catharsis argument crumbles if you're listening to depressing or angry stuff the whole time, listening to music with positivity and joy in it will do more good!

chopeth

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing. I just almost stopped listening to certain bands, depending on the year when I discovered them. Nearly 30 years listening to metal, wow, feel so old!

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
wankerness came with the most brilliant answer to this thread IMO, but with that said I do have - or have had - several CD's with music, that would make me cringe today. All a part of the process in finding my musical standpoint.

Back in late elementary school I had a CD with Spice Girls. Soon after that I got a CD with Vengaboys. Both those CD's mysteriously disappeared from my collection a few years later :lol:
I had a CD with random dance and techno mixes. The only good thing about it is the intro and outro, but back then it was something popular at parties. I remember a CD with Scooter! And even a hopeless CD with "Formula 1 Hits", which was basically just dance and techno with samples of formula 1 cars! :lol:
I don't listen to any of that stuff anymore, nor do I ever want to revisit those artists! :lol:

Besides those few CD's I stand by my current collection 100%. I guess everyone goes through some phases of different stuff. Especially when growing up. I discovered heavy metal in my early teens (I am currently 28), and it has been my big passion ever since. The bands I started listening to (Limp Bizkit, SlipKnot, SOAD, Nightwish) still get play time, but not nearly as much as the bands I've discovered since.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I don't really have much to contribute to this thread in either; all of the stuff that I'd put in here would be stuff that I've listened to so much over the years, that I have no urge to put it on anymore. All the old golden era Metallica records, most of BTBAM's stuff, Dream Theater, Rise Against, Parkway, RHCP, SYL, In Flames, Death, the 'shuggah, Underoath, Emperor, sh*t- even Linkin Park, and some of the earlier stuff from the whole Djent wave too, since I hopped in on that from the start. Still adore alllllll of that stuff and still get happy when I hear it, but it's all stuff I never play anymore because I can listen to the whole record in my head, I've heard them all so many times.

The only exception to this rule seems to be The Dillinger Escape Plan. Every record they've done still manages to sound fresh and fun to me.

I do find it funny though, it seems like I went about things the opposite as most of you. When I got into heavier music, I went straight into stuff like DT and Emperor because I had just started learning how to play drums and I thought the more complicated, difficult stuff you find there was just the coolest thing ever. I went from Rise Against being the heaviest thing I was into to rocking Death and BTBAM pretty much overnight. It wasn't until a few years later when I started looking for stuff that was just more 'fun,' that I realized how much I enjoy stuff like Post-hardcore and Metalcore and all that. Feels weird seeing people say they grew out of ADTR when I grew into ADTR.
Always like hearing how people got into heavy music. Everyone did it differently it seems.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My first album purchase was Synchronicity by the Police, and, although I rarely listen to it, I still think it is a super solid album.

I grew up listening to a lot of Stevie Wonder (still good), Led Zeppelin (still like them), Van Halen (still like them), etc.

I went through a phase of listening to a lot of surf-ish rock - Dick Dale, Man...or Astroman?, Laika and the Cosmonauts, the Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, and a few even more obscure bands...but I honestly still love all of the albums I picked up from those guys.

I went through a Metallica phase around the time of ...And Justice for All, and their material from that era is still pretty good, but I lost touch with their sound shortly after that, so no albums that come to mind for which I lost love.

So...I guess... no.

wankerness

Reaction score
I do find it funny though, it seems like I went about things the opposite as most of you. When I got into heavier music, I went straight into stuff like DT and Emperor because I had just started learning how to play drums and I thought the more complicated, difficult stuff you find there was just the coolest thing ever. I went from Rise Against being the heaviest thing I was into to rocking Death and BTBAM pretty much overnight. It wasn't until a few years later when I started looking for stuff that was just more 'fun,' that I realized how much I enjoy stuff like Post-hardcore and Metalcore and all that. Feels weird seeing people say they grew out of ADTR when I grew into ADTR.
Always like hearing how people got into heavy music. Everyone did it differently it seems.

I got into heavy music purely by being a poser trying to sound cool. I was at some teenager's house when I was a kid, and he had albums by MEGADETH, which sounded like a badass band name. A few years later in middle school, one of my friends at school listened to exclusively metal (I mean like, Metallica and Korn and whatever was popular in 1998). He asked me what bands I liked, and I knew NOTHING about rock/metal, and I said "I like Megadeth!!!" to sound cool. He was like "AWESOME, WANT ME TO GET YOU A CD?! I'M GOING TO THE STORE TONIGHT!!!" That put me on the spot, so I had to cough up 15 bucks to continue being cool.

He got me Hidden Treasures (the worst possible intro album that existed at the time). I listened to it in my room when my parents weren't home, and actually started to get into it! I then had my friend get me a couple more (I think Countdown to Extinction and Rust in Peace were the next two), and I kinda loved those. He also made me a cassette tape of Reload, which I listened to a lot. After that, I was legit into that stuff. I think the other first albums I got were wimpier, though (Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape and Third Eye Blind - S/T). Those two are still awesome, btw. The more embarrassing ones were Smashmouth - Fush Yu Mang (which is at least a lot "punkier" than their follow-ups) and Chumbawamba - Tubthumper (which is at least musically adventurous).

I started playing bass a couple years later, because there was a bass in my basement (I'm like that black kid in the Christian music episode on South Park obviously). I wanted to play guitar instead, but that was what I had, so I started badly up-picking every note of the guitar parts to the songs that stuck to four strings that I loved at the time. I had never heard of tabs, so I was importing midis of songs I liked into Finale and printing out the bass parts as standard notation. "Peace Sells" was the very first song I tried to learn, cause it was about the only song I could think of with a bass part that stood out. I think "Everlong" was the first guitar part I tried to learn on bass.

I didn't get into Korn and the other middle school/high school kid bands (Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Rob Zombie, Slipknot, etc) until after Megadeth. I became LESS cool.

I got Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity randomly on one of my BMG splurges. I listened to it once, was like "well that was kind of boring," and didn't think about it again until my friends dug it out from under the seat in my car and played it when I had gone into the gas station and left them outside. They were like "this is actually awesome" and from there I started listening to them seriously. I got Scenes from a Memory right when it was the featured new release in BMG, and I was hooked from there. After that, I started reading forums and review sites (Satan Stole My Teddybear), and started getting into the big "slightly underground" bands like Opeth, Amorphis, Katatonia, Devin Townsend and Anathema. Morningrise/Still Life, Tuonela/Elegy, Brave Murder Day/Tonight's Decision, Ocean Machine/Infinity, and Judgement/Alternative 4 were all the rage back then. Bizarrely, all five of them are still around 20 years later.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
My first album purchase was Synchronicity by the Police, and, although I rarely listen to it, I still think it is a super solid album.

I grew up listening to a lot of Stevie Wonder (still good), Led Zeppelin (still like them), Van Halen (still like them), etc.

I would hope you don't "hate" any of the 4 most defining bands of the 20th century. One of them being one of the probably top 3 songwriters ever (stevie).

Eh, it sounds pedantic, but like the other guy explained for me, it's pretty much true when it comes to "do you still LIKE it," not simply "do you now HATE IT?"

I can't really think of anything I legitimately liked and stopped liking. I've even looked at my folder of stuff I ripped in college into a folder called "OLD TERRIBLE CDs," and while some of them may be objectively terrible, I still enjoy them all on some level! I guess in college I was more in my "I'm smart now I was dumb in high school" phase. There are some bad CDs in there, but they're mostly the ones I bought cause they were part of the general kind of stuff I liked, and I never liked them (ex, Godsmack's CD was all bad besides Moon Baby, Soulfly's second album was pretty dire, I got Sublime to be cool but What I've Got is one of the worst songs ever). I still like all of these that I ever really liked - ex Mariah Carey - Daydream, Boyz II Men - Cooleyhighharmony, Orgy - Candyass, Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe, etc. Even Coal Chamber's second album, as cringeworthy as it is!

I think most people got into Sublime to try and be cool. LOL.

I think getting into music we liked when we all were really young, and I'm assuming me and you are around the same age since you name dropped Cooleyhighharmony, is off limits here. I mean technically I liked Micheal Jackson and mexican music when I was like 5 years old. Then moved onto top 40 stuff, since ya know, no internet in those days. Radio was GOD. I still will stop and listen to old pop R&B songs that were in the top 40 at the time. Stuff by TLC, SWV, Boyz II Men, etc. I still like the rap music I was into in those days. I didn't have the big sea change in my music tastes until around 6th grade when I heard White Zombie and later Korn and Sepultura. Even the stuff I listened to after that was musical exploration. I still listen to old metallica and deftones. Much of that stuff from that time I don't though. Limp Bizkit, Korn, . That's fine, I don't hate any of that stuff, but it doesn't have the same impact it had when I was 14 years old. I'll agree, Coal Chambers 2nd album was awesome at the time, but isn't very good now.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I would hope you don't "hate" any of the 4 most defining bands of the 20th century. One of them being one of the probably top 3 songwriters ever (stevie).

Ha ha! Applying the same logic to movies and TV, though, doesn't work the same way for me. There are plenty of films that I thought were brilliantly done when they were new, yet I cannot stand to watch now, and even more examples with television. Some things just don't remain relevant.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Ha ha! Applying the same logic to movies and TV, though, doesn't work the same way for me. There are plenty of films that I thought were brilliantly done when they were new, yet I cannot stand to watch now, and even more examples with television. Some things just don't remain relevant.

To be fair though movies and TV have had much less time to evolve and don't have the same freedom as music.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
...Coal Chambers 2nd album was awesome at the time, but isn't very good now.

As much as I love Coal Chamber, I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. Meegs' super-simple riffs really helped me get better when I was learning guitar and couldn't handle complicated songs, but I just tried putting on "Chamber Music" the other day for old times' sake, and whoo-doggy, that album did not age well. "Feed My Dreams" and "My Mercy" are still pretty cool songs, though.

vm27

Reaction score
I used to play Arch Enemy albums nonstop. Now, I can barely finish one.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Like practically everyone here, there's very little music that I once listened to that I now actively hate. There's plenty that I find completely uninteresting or trite, such as Killswitch Engage, but I don't actively hate it.

But there is one band from my teenage formative years who, when I look back at it, I wonder why the .... I ever enjoyed it, because it really is ....ing bad.

Godsmack.

Really, it's mostly the lyrics more than anything. The music is meh-grade pushy radio nu-metal. But holy hell, the lyrics are just abysmal, enough to invoke genuine disgust. I say this without a hint of sarcasm or irony: I'd rather listen to Limp Bizkit.

wankerness

Reaction score
I still like Moon Baby! But yeah, lots of terrible anger.

BETTER F***IN GO AWAY!

KEEP AWAY FROM ME!!!

NOW GO AWAY!

And they had that awful video with the guitarist wearing the Dr. Seuss hat! That was like, the late 90s equivalent of a sign saying "I'm a douche."

extendedsolo

Reaction score
As much as I love Coal Chamber, I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. Meegs' super-simple riffs really helped me get better when I was learning guitar and couldn't handle complicated songs, but I just tried putting on "Chamber Music" the other day for old times' sake, and whoo-doggy, that album did not age well. "Feed My Dreams" and "My Mercy" are still pretty cool songs, though.

I thought that their first album was not good at all. They were getting SOOO much hype at the time, which is right when I started learning guitar. I could not figure out what everyone saw in them.

My Mercy is still ok.

since I'm on a kick with one off nu metal songs,

I still think that the cover of Blue Monday by Orgy is good! Specifically, and only, the version on the Family Values live CD. Also there is a Limp Bizkit riff on there I really like, mainly because of the huge sounding tone. I still have that version of blue monday on workout mixes.