Albums you loved but now hate?

• Thread starter You
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
But there is one band from my teenage formative years who, when I look back at it, I wonder why the .... I ever enjoyed it, because it really is ....ing bad.

Godsmack.

Really, it's mostly the lyrics more than anything. The music is meh-grade pushy radio nu-metal. But holy hell, the lyrics are just abysmal, enough to invoke genuine disgust. I say this without a hint of sarcasm or irony: I'd rather listen to Limp Bizkit.
Yep. 13-year-old me heard Godsmack and thought "hey, this is awesome!" Then 1-2 years later I heard Alice in Chains and realized where they got the good bits. :lol: All of their "original" additions made things worse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Yep. 13-year-old me heard Godsmack and thought "hey, this is awesome!" Then 1-2 years later I heard Alice in Chains and realized where they got the good bits. :lol: All of their "original" additions made things worse.

I still think Alive has some cool parts. Same with some of the songs on their first release. Not entire songs mind you, but some riffs are good ripoffs!

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
I just can't hate something I used to love. If I come to hate an album I used to enjoy, it's probably because I never loved it that much in the first place. Everything by DragonForce and Sonata Artica comes to mind in that case.

There was that phase where I completely stopped listening to pop-punk thinking "hey, I'm a metalhead now, I have opened my eyes on music and on how mainstream stuff sucks balls". Turns out by getting older, I realised I'm still a huge Sum 41 fan.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I don't hate them, but Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Dream Theater just don't do it for me like they used to anymore. I grew out of wanky guitar for the sake of wanky guitar. Yes, "For the Love of God", "Circles", "Learning to Live" etc are still enjoyable to me, I just can't keep widdly widdly guitar music on constant rotation anymore like I liked to do when I was 15.

I still really enjoy all the "edgy", angsty music like Slipknot or Korn, though. That stuff is pure nostalgia!

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water

Can't stomach Fred at all.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't say hate, but there's certainly music I fell out of love with after listening to it so many damn times or just musical tastes evolving over the years.

Lamb of God is that way for me now - up until my junior year of college they were one of my top 4, now I can't bring myself to even have them on my ipod.

Cant be bothered with Pantera anymore. From age 14 until maybe 20 or 21 I was crazy about them now I find nothing appealing about them.

Toxicity thru Steal This Album era SOAD was on constant replay when I was 15 or so. Same thing as Pantera now - instant skip on the ipod.

I weirdly find my 'heavy' music tastes shifting to older hardcore/punk and thrash music as I get older. Now all I listen to is Black Flag, Misfits, Bad Brains. Or old thrash albums from Exodus or Megadeth. And then classics like Sabbeth and Led Zep. The flashy production and musically virtuoso/complex stuff just bores the hell out of me now, ironically.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
St. Anger. Never understood the hate for this album and I loved songs like Shoot Me Again and Sweet Amber. Now I can only stand The Unnamed Feeling.

ANYTHING HIM and Bloodhound Gang. Me and my bro were into stuff related to cKy and Bam Margera, so we listened a lot of HIM and Bloodhound Gang. Now anytime we listen to these bands, we physically cringe in pain. :rofl:

MD45's The Craving (Remastered version). I used to prefer the remastered version over the original version with Lee Ving. But the more I listened to the original, the more I appreciated Lee's ....ty vocals. I mean, he's actually putting effort into it, and Dave's vocals sound bored in retrospect.

A lot of the Oomph! stuff released after Unrein. I discovered the band through GlaubeLiebeTod, and I was into their stuff. But I went back in their discography, and I gotta say Sperm, Defekt, Wunschkind, and Unrein are MUCH better albums. Can't really listen to anything after Unrein except Platik and some other songs.

Van Hagar-era Van Halen. I used to love this era to death. But I just started to get really bored of it. The music's too damn poppy for my taste, so I eventually just started to listen to everything DLR-related (except 1984 :ugh).

rokket2005

Reaction score
Most of Atmosphere's catalog for me. I used to love everything from Lucy Ford up through Paint that .... Gold, but now I don't care to listen to any of it ever again really.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Nothing. Anything I ever loved is still good to my ears. I certainly wouldn't claim to love Limp Bizkit or Red Hot Chili Peppers or Slipknot or Creed's first album or whatever loudly, but when I listen to it I can still hear exactly what appealed to teenage me, and it's still good! When I heard more music LIKE those albums I typically just am bored or annoyed by it, but those original things I heard still immediately trigger whatever part of my brain they did way back then.

this

hell, I was playing some Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Maiden, and System of a Down a few hours ago :lol:

(trve-kvlt-frostbitten kids hated me, until they realized how closed minded they were :lol: )

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I gotta admit that I used to hate Burzum along with any other 90´s black metal band but this stuff actually has some melody. :metal:

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
Im not sure if I feel older or younger than you dudes but this thread surely brings back memories. For me it has been going like - simple metalcore-punk-numetal-melodeath(2001-2005)--->progressive and more technical metal(2005-2012)---> really technical metal(2012-2014) :D----> melodeath again and this seems to be the thing form me. Currently rocking Soilwork`s old main albums and In Flames.
It all has related to what I like to play and what influences I like through given period. After I realized that I will never be Jeff Loomis but can cover and improvise around stuff like older swedish melodeath I started to progress faster in guitar playing and writing.
Really old stuff like 80s and 90s bother the hell out of me. I admire and listen to the bands that think out of the box though.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I don't necessarily hate the albums, but Coheed's Afterman albums have so many songs on them that either make me think of failed love or the pain associated with remembering happy times with said loves. It's more of a painful experience.

Lateral

Reaction score
I used to love System Of A Down as a band and especially Hypnotize. Now I still kinda like the band (although not nearly as much as before), but I really cannot stand Hypnotize anymore. It's a mixture of weird tracks and pop metal.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^That's another one I'll add to the pile. Can't stand hypnotize or Mezmerize anymore. I don't outright hate Toxicity either, but I'm bored of it nowadays. Their self-titled album is still a masterpiece to me.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
I used to love System Of A Down as a band and especially Hypnotize. Now I still kinda like the band (although not nearly as much as before), but I really cannot stand Hypnotize anymore. It's a mixture of weird tracks and pop metal.

Hopping on this bandwagon. I find anything other than their first album to be boring. I still jam some of those songs.

I also saw them live last year in chicago and really enjoyed it.