Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Pretty hyped for that arrowhead release. Was thinking of getting the EII Ripped, but might pick that up now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Alexi has finally been laid to the rest.

https://www.is.fi/musiikki/art-2000008467183.html

"Our family wanted a beatiful resting place for his worth, where fans can come to respect his memory, Anna Laiho says to finnish tabloid IS."

IS says with Laiho's permission the exact location of his resting place: Malmi Cemetery K58, line 2, place number 19.

02b70eacab2b65fe48c546f7af23582e.jpg

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just read the article.

Finally. :/

Gotta say, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, that seeing a picture of the actual coffin, with religious symbols, is kinda ironic, and a bit funny. It also reminded me that he's the only celebrity death that I actually, weirdly mourn.

Hope to be able to visit the grave some day. It would be as close as I ever got to seeing him live, unfortunately.

RIP again my man.

Metropolis

Reaction score
It's really a shame that his burial took so long...

I will take a visit hopefully soon since I live in about 10-15 minute drive from the cemetery. After the tombstone is placed of course. One thing I could do is to take a trip to Lake Bodom and to the cemetery after that.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
There have only been 2 celebrity deaths that really shook me, Ryan Dunn and Alexi Laiho. RIP gentleman.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
How come there is a law in Finland (that has great if not one of the best living standard in EU) which prevents burial for almost the year? What was the actuall issue here? I get that his offical wife is taking some legal actions but why would that result in his ashes not being buried? Was she trying to take his ashes to USA and place it her living room?

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
So glad that I saw Alexi and Children of Bodom live. It was a sold out concert when COB opened for Lamb of God in Edmonton in April of 2009.

Hearing Alexi shred solos on my stereo was sweet, but being just ten feet away from him in front row and physically see him shred those solos was an AMAZING experience. Rest in Peace brother.

23768_10150156082640174_6415887_n~3.jpg

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I agree this is probably one of the only celeb deaths that I ever cared about. I'm really surprised burial took this long. I haven't been keeping up and just assumed he was already buried.

I went down an alexi rabbit hole on YouTube the other night. Damn

mastapimp

Reaction score
Nearly a year between death and burial. What an awful time for the family and friends.
Another article I read said he'd been cremated and they just buried the ashes a year later. The original article posted here mentions an urn when translated to English.

Not that uncommon to hold onto cremated remains for some time before they're spread.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Today makes one year since Alexi passed away. It feels like it's gone by so fast and it still feels weird to think that he's gone. A decent handful of my musical heroes have died in the last year or two but Alexi seems to always the be the one that comes to mind first. So many good memories listening to his music, and few bands beat the sheer awe that I experienced hearing some of Bodom's songs for the first time. Downfall, Touch Like Angel of Death, Black Widow, Northern Comfort, KtS, etc.

Whenever I hear these songs I'm instantly transported back to high school and playing Halo 2, Guild Wars, Diablo 2, or Morrowind with these playing in the background. I loved a lot of the staple melodeath bands around that time and it was for sure the time I was taking the deep dive into the genre. In Flames albums like The Jester Race, Whoracle, and Colony were so eye opening to me for the moods they succeeded in setting. Same with Character, Haven, and Damage Done by Dark Tranquility. While those albums were mostly just there for the feeling I got from them, the intensity Children of Bodom had on their first 4 or 5 (certainly the first 3) albums was just unmatched. The only things that ever came close for me was the self titled by Wintersun, but that one album, good as it was, wasn't enough to compete with the sheer amount of awesome material Alexi had by then. Kalmah would be a good candidate though if anyone, and I'm glad they're still around.

It's no secret that I'm one of the first around here to circlejerk Alexi and his playing. Hell, the reason I play Vs primarily to this day is because of him (there's nothing sexier than an offset/Rhoads style V, fight me). I miss the dude and whenever I'm lacking motivation to practice or do much else (indifference and laziness only seem to become more steeped with age) I can reliably put on his music and get inspired to go do something productive for a bit. I don't think it's ever going to stop feeling weird to me that I won't be hearing anything new by him since he clearly had much more to give musically.

My job now days keeps me working long hours, but when I get home tomorrow finally I'm going to run through some of the CoB songs I know on guitar again I think.

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
Today makes one year since Alexi passed away. It feels like it's gone by so fast and it still feels weird to think that he's gone. A decent handful of my musical heroes have died in the last year or two but Alexi seems to always the be the one that comes to mind first. So many good memories listening to his music, and few bands beat the sheer awe that I experienced hearing some of Bodom's songs for the first time. Downfall, Touch Like Angel of Death, Black Widow, Northern Comfort, KtS, etc.

Whenever I hear these songs I'm instantly transported back to high school and playing Halo 2, Guild Wars, Diablo 2, or Morrowind with these playing in the background. I loved a lot of the staple melodeath bands around that time and it was for sure the time I was taking the deep dive into the genre. In Flames albums like The Jester Race, Whoracle, and Colony were so eye opening to me for the moods they succeeded in setting. Same with Character, Haven, and Damage Done by Dark Tranquility. While those albums were mostly just there for the feeling I got from them, the intensity Children of Bodom had on their first 4 or 5 (certainly the first 3) albums was just unmatched. The only things that ever came close for me was the self titled by Wintersun, but that one album, good as it was, wasn't enough to compete with the sheer amount of awesome material Alexi had by then. Kalmah would be a good candidate though if anyone, and I'm glad they're still around.

It's no secret that I'm one of the first around here to circlejerk Alexi and his playing. Hell, the reason I play Vs primarily to this day is because of him (there's nothing sexier than an offset/Rhoads style V, fight me). I miss the dude and whenever I'm lacking motivation to practice or do much else (indifference and laziness only seem to become more steeped with age) I can reliably put on his music and get inspired to go do something productive for a bit. I don't think it's ever going to stop feeling weird to me that I won't be hearing anything new by him since he clearly had much more to give musically.

My job now days keeps me working long hours, but when I get home tomorrow finally I'm going to run through some of the CoB songs I know on guitar again I think.

Dude, I share your nostalgia quite closely! Got into Bodom at around 2004 and the peak listening was in 9th grade/ first highschool year in 2005. We played Halo 2 online everyday with my friends and those times were f**** awesome, great memories. I made a total of 3 Halo 2 montages and the first song in my first montage was Touch Like Angel Of Death :D Really got In Flames in 2006 summer because of a friend and it was almost as big of an experience as COB. Wintersun's first album is a masterpiece and was also played heavily in the same era. Dark tranquility is also a super cool band, started listening to them a little later though. RIP Alexi. It's really sad overall and when seeing him at their last concert, hi's playing was awesome and the whole band sounded really tight.

slslipfilth

Reaction score
Dude, I share your nostalgia quite closely! Got into Bodom at around 2004 and the peak listening was in 9th grade/ first highschool year in 2005. We played Halo 2 online everyday with my friends and those times were f**** awesome, great memories. I made a total of 3 Halo 2 montages and the first song in my first montage was Touch Like Angel Of Death :D Really got In Flames in 2006 summer because of a friend and it was almost as big of an experience as COB. Wintersun's first album is a masterpiece and was also played heavily in the same era. Dark tranquility is also a super cool band, started listening to them a little later though. RIP Alexi. It's really sad overall and when seeing him at their last concert, hi's playing was awesome and the whole band sounded really tight.
Same here...got into them during high school years 2002-2006ish. Alexi was probably one of the main reasons I was able to strive to play guitar really good. I would try to play their songs and by practicing them over and over helped solified my skills. I wasn't 100% accurate with their songs but came close.

Hard to believe its already been a year, feels like it was just last month when the news came out he died.