Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
RIP to the man
41?

No idea what happened yet but a statement form the other members have been published through the Bodom fan page -

Statement from Bodom After Midnight:
It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we have to announce the passing of Alexi Laiho. We are absolutely devastated and heartbroken for the sudden loss of our dear friend and band member. Our journey together as a band had only just begun so there’s no words to describe the shock and the bottomless grief that all of us feel.
May your soul rest in peace, you will be eternally missed. We love you brother.
Our deepest condolences go to his family. No further announcements nor interviews will be given at this time. We kindly ask to respect our need to process and go through this terrible situation in privacy. Thank you for your understanding and support.
Daniel, Mitja & Waltteri

https://www.facebook.com/bodomaftermidnightofficial/

I loved their first few albums. So 2021 has instantly carried on where 2020 left off

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

akinari

Reaction score
No no no no no no no

I got the biggest wave of anxiety when I read his name, thinking to myself "please tell me he didn't fuckin' die."

The first 4 albums and the Inearthed demos were some of my favorites when I first got into extreme metal as a teenager, and last year or maybe late 2019, I rediscovered them after almost 15 years... I think I enjoy them now more than I did back then.

RIP Alexi. :(

Sammy J

Reaction score
Damn man, this blows. Hadn’t paid attention to much they’ve done since “In Your Face”, but I used to really love this band once upon a time. Thanks for the music and the memories, Alexi. RIP.

lewis

Reaction score
Really sad.
I know he hasnt looked that well for quite some time but this is still a huge shock.
When I was teaching myself guitar about 12 years ago, I well well into this band and he was an influence.

I saw them live in my local city one time and felt so sorry for them because whilst they were abit too drunk for my liking, they got bombarded with shit by the fans which pissed me off alot. I enjoyed it and seemed to know songs that no one else in the crowd did.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
This is shocking he is way too young. I had such a huge phase of loving CoB, Hatebreeder through to Bloodrunk... few Twitter news updates say he had been suffering with health issues for the last few years. So sad as he was an incredible guitarist by his late teens

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Oh man, don't know what to say... The guy was the reason I really started to practice the guitar and it became more than a hobby thanks to that. What a shitty start to the year :(

gnoll

Reaction score
So sad to hear this :(

His music has always been a very big influence on me, COB was one of the bands that got me into metal way back. I still remember the day a friend played Downfall to me when I was a kid, 20 or so years ago. I loved it instantly. Then I bought my own copy of Hatebreeder and listened to it lots, especially on summer nights and any time I had been to a lake.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
No word on the cause of death? 41 is super young. One article vaguely said long term health problems

nickgray

Reaction score
What. The. Fuck. I saw some documentary not too long ago, I think the recording of Hexed, I don't remember really, Laiho looked really skinny, but then he always kinda was, I remember thinking maybe he was sick or something. Fucking hell. I didn't much like CoB post Follow the Reaper, but the first three albums were legendary. Hyper-melodic, classicaly inspired blend of melodeath, a touch of thrash and power metal. I think only Kalmah's early albums had something similar going on, off the top of my head. They still absolutely hold up to this day. Rest in peace.