Alkaloid - The Malkuth Grimoire (Prog Metal)

• Thread starter Thorerges
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takotakumi

Reaction score
I loved the first section of the song, then by the end I felt like it didn't have to be 8 mins :v

Just a couple more days for the whole album :D
Looking most forward to Rise of the Cephalopods

ArtHam

Reaction score
Complains about a song being 8 minutes but wants to hear the 20 minute song. :nutkick:

I think it's the strongest so far. It's still quite long but more focused if that makes sense. Where Chaos Theory and practice actually felt like 8 minutes and is quite demanding on the ears this one feels shorter and is definitely a lot heavier. The riff after the quiet part makes me want to kill. And the solo after that.....well. :shawn:

takotakumi

Reaction score
Complains about a song being 8 minutes but wants to hear the 20 minute song. :nutkick:

I think it's the strongest so far. It's still quite long but more focused if that makes sense. Where Chaos Theory and practice actually felt like 8 minutes and is quite demanding on the ears this one feels shorter and is definitely a lot heavier. The riff after the quiet part makes me want to kill. And the solo after that.....well. :shawn:
hahaha Good point
But what I meant is that I lost the hook and I just felt it mumble needlessly
Chaos Theory is also 8 mins but to me fees like a 3 min song cause I'm always hooked and looking forward to the parts
We're quite the complete opposite with those 2 songs :D

ArtHam

Reaction score
I just check the running order of the album and when I play Kernel Panic, As Decreed by Laws Unwritten and Azagthoth back to back the songs flow together really well.

I urge you to try this and also keep listening to the song because I think it should've been longer hahahahaha.

I had that mumbling with the middle of Chaos Theory where it was just one endless blast section for 2 and a half minutes and that weird bleeping noise flying around. Every section connected with tremolo noise. Though I think it's a great song still I prefer this new song over that by a whole lot. Maybe even over Carbon Phrases.

takotakumi

Reaction score
I just check the running order of the album and when I play Kernel Panic, As Decreed by Laws Unwritten and Azagthoth back to back the songs flow together really well.

I urge you to try this and also keep listening to the song because I think it should've been longer hahahahaha.

I had that mumbling with the middle of Chaos Theory where it was just one endless blast section for 2 and a half minutes and that weird bleeping noise flying around. Every section connected with tremolo noise. Though I think it's a great song still I prefer this new song over that by a whole lot. Maybe even over Carbon Phrases.
Totally agree with the running order, this is an important feature of Hannes Albums

Oh believe me I did, I basically looped the song the whole day yesterday haha
Started learning the intro but some of palm mutes confuse me cause they're kind of hard to find the right note, or maybe I was overthinking them

On regards to Carbon Phrases...I like to think of Kernel Panic as a shorter and better version of that hehe

Don't get me wrong though, with Alkaloid any "bad" song is still a 10/10 regular one for me. It's just that when I like one more it's like 19/10 to me.

ArtHam

Reaction score
I'm the same. I like Azagthoth least out of the new songs, but only compared to their other songs. For me it's still better than most other things other bands put out.

I learned the clean middle part yesterday, it's so ominous and threatening and feels so cold and grim. I also learned that triple riff that's the first verse I guess. Upon sitting down with it I found out that the riffs never repeat the same way. Any time a riff repeats it's slightly different. Love details like that. I think the second riff in the song is the best thing Alkaloid have done so far.

This is a weird band since lots of people seem to like them for different reasons. For example I first heard them with Alter Magnitudes and hated it. It's still the one song together with C-Value Enigma that I always skip. Can't stand those songs, though I passionately love everything else on Malkuth. But some people think it's the best thing they've done and seem to be disappointed they're not doing something like this on the new one.

takotakumi

Reaction score
I'm the same. I like Azagthoth least out of the new songs, but only compared to their other songs. For me it's still better than most other things other bands put out.

I learned the clean middle part yesterday, it's so ominous and threatening and feels so cold and grim. I also learned that triple riff that's the first verse I guess. Upon sitting down with it I found out that the riffs never repeat the same way. Any time a riff repeats it's slightly different. Love details like that. I think the second riff in the song is the best thing Alkaloid have done so far.

This is a weird band since lots of people seem to like them for different reasons. For example I first heard them with Alter Magnitudes and hated it. It's still the one song together with C-Value Enigma that I always skip. Can't stand those songs, though I passionately love everything else on Malkuth. But some people think it's the best thing they've done and seem to be disappointed they're not doing something like this on the new one.

Oh man I love Azagthoth so much haha

Yeah that's a very distinctive writing trait from Alkaloid, sounds like the same riff but they always some subtle yet refreshing changes to the riffs. Really enjoy that writing style.

I used to not like Alter Magnitudes at first too but now it's easily one of my favorites. I think it's still my favorite-as of now-Alkaloid solo too.
Agree with C-Value, the idea is cool but I would've preferred them adding House of Life instead of that meme.

ArtHam

Reaction score
I like Azagthoth, it just meanders a lot. It's basically a cool chorus surrounded by a a lot of random events. Christian's solo is cool though.

My favourite solos are at the end of Chaos Theory and Practice, the end solo of Azagthoth and the ending solo duel of Funeral. Though I am completely blown away by the solo in As Decreed by Laws Unwritten too.

ArtHam

Reaction score
Re: writing trait: I think it's pretty unique to this new record since for example songs like Alter Magnitutes or Malkuth Grimoire and Hadron Machinist didn't have that. Anytime a riff repeats there it's exactly the same.

What I love about As Decreed by Laws Unwritten is that there's only one real chorus in the song. When the chorus lyrics repeat in the outro they're over a different part. It's very unexpected. The pre chorus shows up more often than the chorus itself. It teases and oozes. And from the really long outro it flows perfectly into Azagthoth (listen to them back to back, it's as if the outré to this and the intro to Azagthoth belong together).
I apologise, I'm really excited about finding a song I love even more than I loved Kernel Panic on release. This thing is making me more of a fan than I already was.

Last edited:

takotakumi

Reaction score
Re: writing trait: I think it's pretty unique to this new record since for example songs like Alter Magnitutes or Malkuth Grimoire and Hadron Machinist didn't have that. Anytime a riff repeats there it's exactly the same.

What I love about As Decreed by Laws Unwritten is that there's only one real chorus in the song. When the chorus lyrics repeat in the outré they'r ever a different part It's very unexpected. The pre chorus shows up more often than the chorus itself. It teases and oozes. And from the really long outro it flows perfectly into Azagthoth (listen to them back to back, it's as if the outré to this and the intro to Azagthoth belong together).
I apologise, I'm really excited about finding a song I love even more than I loved Kernel Panic on release. This thing is making me more of a fan than I already was.

The Cthulhu main riff is composed of two: the intro riff, which is followed by the intro riff with some alterations
In the Eye of the storm there is verse I think which then turns in to the same verse with some added spiciness
I know there are more but I cant remember now hehe but it mostly happens on the odder songs.

DUDE NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE IM HYPED AF TOO hahaha
I believe I have not done that order yet, but I can see it being an amazing trasition, particularly since it's the 2 heavy songs of the album

On my case I enjoyed the first 3 songs equally haha They're so amazing

ArtHam

Reaction score
The Cthulhu main riff is composed of two: the intro riff, which is followed by the intro riff with some alterations
In the Eye of the storm there is verse I think which then turns in to the same verse with some added spiciness
I know there are more but I cant remember now hehe but it mostly happens on the odder songs.

DUDE NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE IM HYPED AF TOO hahaha
I believe I have not done that order yet, but I can see it being an amazing trasition, particularly since it's the 2 heavy songs of the album

On my case I enjoyed the first 3 songs equally haha They're so amazing

Yes, try it. It's the beginning of the album right there. It works perfectly. Possibly it might take away your doubts about As Decreed By Laws Unwritten. Kernel Panic is a very melodic song with nice singing, As Decreed by Laws Unwritten sounds dark and pissed off and Azagthoth sounds mysterious but also has that flowery tone that Morean always has in his songs. I think the song had a real danger of being a standard death metal song if it had a standard structure and length. For my taste I can completely see why it is as it is.
Hell, I didn't understand why Orgonism had to be so long on Malkuth when I first heard it either. But in the running order after the short Alter Magnitudes and before the long Dyson Sphere it fits perfectly. SO hyped to analyse this album when it's finally out.

Now if only I could actually learn some of Danny's solos. I have half a chance of deciphering what Christian does but even when I see Danny do it like in the playthrough of Kernel Panic I don't understand where his ideas come from. Christian's ideas are easier to grasp since he uses familiar scale and arpeggio patterns. Still not easy to play but with him I at least understand what he's doing and where it's coming from.

ArtHam

Reaction score
Only 9 more days! So damn excited. I'm definitely there now. As Decreed by Laws Unwritten is my favourite Alkaloid song together with Funeral for a Continent and Kernel Panic. There's just nothing like those 3 songs in all of metal. Now I'm just ready to hear the other 4 songs of the new album! Hyped beyond life!

takotakumi

Reaction score
Only 9 more days! So damn excited. I'm definitely there now. As Decreed by Laws Unwritten is my favourite Alkaloid song together with Funeral for a Continent and Kernel Panic. There's just nothing like those 3 songs in all of metal. Now I'm just ready to hear the other 4 songs of the new album! Hyped beyond life!
Same man, been waiting for the past 3 years haha
I'm mostly excited about The Rise of the Cephalopods, my sources say it's basically the funeral for a continent of this album, meaning Longest song (19 min) all written by Hannes <3 :D

ArtHam

Reaction score
I couldn't bear to wait and left work early today. Just finished listening to it all the way through for the first time and don't know what to say really.
First impressions (spoilers):

- There's almost no tech death here. No songs like Hadron Machinist or Alter Magnitudes. Nothing pointing to this involving Obscura members. I know the band has warned us of this beforehand but it still feels like a big deal to me. There are a few little parts in Rise of the Cephalopods that almost feel like Spawn of Possession though. But it's only in this one song.
- All songs are written and credited to only 3 members: Hannes, Morean and Danny, all lyrics credited to Danny and Morean. There seems to be no music written by Linus and Christian. Credits also list Danny as doing backing vocals on all songs which surprised me a lot.
- The flow of the album is spectacular and seems to flow like waves. On this first listen I'm stunned by how strong the middle of the album is. The fourth song which is a ballad has a spectacular almost Pink Floyd like long solo through most of the song which gave me goosebumps. The fifth song has short solos by the whole band, you read that right: drum solo, bass solo and 3 guitar solos before closing with yet another guitar solo. The song itself is like a mixture of Carbon Phrases and even Lateralus era Tool.
- The artwork seems to be full of hidden messages and symbolism. I wish I'd ordered the vinyl version now so I could see it all a lot bigger.
- Song number 6 and 7 seem to be Dyson Sphere V and VI. Where I first struggled with Chaos Theory and Practice the song before it actually explains the rest of the story arc. It feels like I could put the first 4 parts from Malkuth Grimoire before these 2 songs and they'll flow into each other perfectly. The ending of part V is the fastest I've heard any of these guys play. It's insane.

I'll write more later, now on to listen 2!