Almost Steinberger GM 7 string (help needed)

• Thread starter Börje
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Börje

Reaction score
Hello everyone

So, i got this idea that i order a steiny GM string body (possibly a neck too) from my frend whos an amateur luthier, and then assemble the guitar myself. :idea: There are few things that i need help with:

I havent found any body templates of the GM model so i have to make one. I found a decent/good photo of the body, and i want to make atleast the outlining for the template from it. How much do i need to widen the original body so the seventh string will fit on it?

Photo is here:

http://www.tymonsound.com/pics/swirl.jpg

I found this moses graphite neck:
MB-727 HPC: Headless 7-st with Moses headpiece

The price for it is 527USD. Is it cheaper to build it from wood, if i use maple (maybe birds eye maple) as a neck and rosewood, ebony or birdseye maple as a fretboard, and there comes this ABM 7 string headless headpiece which costs 131.41USD?

Also:

What bodywood should i use? ATM i am considering mahogany.

What pickups do you recommend? I play everything from jazz to death metal. I was thinking H H configuration with a coil tap.

I cant figure anything more to ask about so any ideas etc. are welcome!

BTW when its finished i want it to look something like this: Steaqinberger_White_GM_12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! :dio:

thank you!

Börje

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gregori

Reaction score
While it is possible to build a guitar on a low budget, building a guitar because you want to save money is generally a terrible reason to take on such a task.

But assuming that you already have access to every tool you need, then it may be possible(but I can't be certain since don't know how much every component will cost in Norway).

Börje

Reaction score
Im not trying to save money by building this guitar, the whole point of the idea was to try and build something that i have wanted to do for a very long time + i think that no one has ever done this model as a 7 string version. Not even steinberger. (Correct me if im wrong.)

btw

I live in FINLAND!!!

Gregori

Reaction score
Börje;3362658 said:
Im not trying to save money by building this guitar, the whole point of the idea was to try and build something that i have wanted to do for a very long time + i think that no one has ever done this model as a 7 string version. Not even steinberger. (Correct me if im wrong.)

btw

I live in FINLAND!!!

sorry :ugh:

Make a list of everything you need. Not just the obvious stuff like the wood, pickups, and hardware, but other things like the truss rod, frets, electronics, finish, ect.. Don't forget anything. Then shop around and find out how much you'd be paying for each item. Don't forget to factor in the shipping charges.

Börje

Reaction score
Its ok :lol:

I cannot make accurate list because im not 100% shure of what hardware i want to put it but i quess i will find something out.

thanks

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I think that this is a great idea! I always liked the Steinbergers with the pseudo-strat bodies- Didin't they even make ones with a headstock?

Gregori was right- plan carefully.. Think about every little detail so nothing pops up and throws you off. Make designs and measurements- compare to guitars you know to see what you might like best.

Also, mahogany, maple, ebony sounds like a good combination to me.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
The size looks fine. Bear in mind, on most 7 string guitars, the size of the body is identical to their 6 string counterparts.

As far as the neck joint, I dunno, an AANJ steinberger seems like an incredible amount of over kill. I would definitely add the "cloon scoop" though, thats a huge upgrade to that design!

edit: also, when you route out the 7 string sized pups, youre gonan be shocked at how close they are to the 6 string size :D

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
You could do a Moses graphite neck to give it a more true Steinberger feel most Steinberger's have Emg's. I'm not shure if xs makes a 7 string trem or not but I would look into it.as for electronics just go with the best you can afford.

Börje

Reaction score
Since xs does not do sevenstring trem i decided that i use abm headless tailpiece. It is kinda like a tune o matic but with a tuners on the string holder. Im not 100% shure about the neck. I would like to try the moses neck before i buy it but i think thats impossible. I maybe put some bare knuckles on it because the price is not bad and i dont like EMGs to much.

Börje

Reaction score
Today i calculated an approximate price of the guitar:

Moses neck with abalone or Mop dots + shipping: 662$ (i used moses neck as a reference only, not yet shure about the neck)

Mahogany body with alpine white finish + shipping: 490$ (i used a warmoth body designer as a reference)

Bkp warpig Pickups: 432$ (warpigs used only for reference)

ABM headless tuners + tailpiece: 333$

some backup money: 400$

(Custom case: about 400$)

Total price: 2317$ or 1740€. This is excluding the case!

The price shown is only approximate but it is something i expected it to be.