Alternatives to Kalium?

• Thread starter Xfing
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xfing

Reaction score
Kalium is a known bet for ultra fat strings for extended-range guitars, but their customer service and responsiveness is dogshit, I've seen someone in another thread recommend another company that offers the same stuff but with an overall better customer experience, is there still any like that out there?

Dayn

Reaction score
I get most of my guitar strings from Winspear. If you want more than a .090 though you're out of luck. Otherwise I use Newtone for my 10-string guitar and my basses. They make a guitar string up to .120.

No idea where you are but it's quicker and cheaper for me to order from the UK. Kalium's international postage was 10 times the cost (20 times if you ordered a couple of things) so that made the decision easy for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Kalium is a known bet for ultra fat strings for extended-range guitars, but their customer service and responsiveness is dogshit, I've seen someone in another thread recommend another company that offers the same stuff but with an overall better customer experience, is there still any like that out there?
Is he back on his bullshit with long turnarounds and no communication? It was going good again for a year or two. I tend to order in bulk and my last couple of orders went without issue, but it was probably last summer when I last ordered.

Edit: I haven't found anything else US based that goes above .100 and has a tapered ball end that I prefer. La Bella used to do custom tapers but they fucked it up so bad the last couple of orders and then discontinued the option.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Also a huge fan of Winspear here. Strings sound great, last ages, and you the ability to get exactly the gauges you want at no up charge is amazing.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Are you all from Europe or do you really specifically order strings from Europe?? Noticed winspear is in the UK it seems.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Ireland here. Used to order from Stringjoy, but it got prohibitively expensive.

Dayn

Reaction score
Are you all from Europe or do you really specifically order strings from Europe?? Noticed winspear is in the UK it seems.
The UK and the US both are on the other side of the world from Australia, and ordering from the UK just seems to be quicker than the US. Then again, ordering from Japan can be quicker than ordering things domestic, so who knows.

But I suppose Winspear and Newtone have both been very good and suit my purposes, so no point changing what works.

luca9583

Reaction score
D'Addario NYXL Bass strings are identical to NYXL guitar strings but have a bass ball end. A D'Addario rep confirmed this via email a few years ago when i asked them. Try those...i use their .085 and .095 NYXL bass strings and they work very well.

Xfing

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Winspear does sound like a great option for my 9-string, if they make strings up to .120 then I'm in luck, because my thickest string is currently a .118 from Kalium. I spent a lot of time calculating what string gauge would be suitably stiff tuned so low and .118 was definitely worlds better than the stock .90 the guitar came with. If I'm ever stupid enough to pick up an Agile Pendulum 102730, I might need something thicker, might turn to thestringsource then. And yeah, I'm from Europe, so the fact that Winspear is from the UK does help considerably (still might have to pay extra VAT or at least customs fees though)

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Does anyone offer custom sets of coated strings?

I ordered a couple 8-string custom sets from Stringjoy a while back. I haven't put the strings on the guitar yet, so I can't attest to the quality aside from saying it was an enjoyable customer experience overall. The owner is friendly and replies quickly to emails.

I enquired with Stringjoy about putting together a custom set of coated strings after I realised they offered all the gauges I needed in their pre-made coated sets. However, the owner said they were only able to do the pre-made sets at present (I assume because they're coated somewhere off-site and are pre-packed at that facility?). He said they'd look into offering it in the future if the coated strings prove successful as pre-made sets. I contemplated making a post here to see if I could drum up support from like-minds, which I guess is what this comment ultimately is. Maybe send them an email if you're interested.

I just took a quick glance at String Source and Winspear from the recommendations above, but both seem to offer regular custom string sets only. Even if Stringjoy only did semi-custom mix-and-match sets with more limited gauges for the coated strings, it seems an untapped (if small) market.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was about to order a string set from Kalium. Can anybody confirm if they're currently on a down-swing or an up-swing?

asopala

Reaction score
They top-out at 0.090" and 0.100" for guitar strings. Do these still have guitar-sized ball ends?
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they didn't, considering most 9 strings I've seen at least (not many, but still) have ferrules for guitar ball ends. Including my Schecter.

I used to use La Bella for a .105 guitar string, but they stopped selling individual strings for some reason. D'Adarrio is my preferred brand, but they max out at .080.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Update: emailed 3/27, didn't get anything back. Called today and now I have a tracking number. I think it's back to just him, so calling might be the best way to get things moving. Over the years he seems adverse to digital communication.