Am I becoming a tonal dinosaur? Modern metal tone

• Thread starter farren
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Guitar tone peaked with James' Bastard of Tuffets tone. I know, everybody loves their crystal clear AM radio tone today, but I'd take low-gain, scooped, multi-tracked madness over that any day.

Let's fight about it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Guitar tone peaked with James' Bastard of Tuffets tone. I know, everybody loves their crystal clear AM radio tone today, but I'd take low-gain, scooped, multi-tracked madness over that any day.

Let's fight about it.
Negative, guitar tone peaked with Nevermore's Born.

also AJFA and Black album tones are way better than Mop. Of Wolf and Man in particular doesn't get enough credit as having a kickass rhythm tone.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Negative, guitar tone peaked with Nevermore's Born.

also AJFA and Black album tones are way better than Mop. Of Wolf and Man in particular doesn't get enough credit as having a kickass rhythm tone.
You're wrong. I win.

Well, that was easy.

More seriously, while I can intellectually understand the technical merits of the Black Album tone, and even the Justice sterility sometimes, nothing quite tickles my taint like that ball rattling, almost soupy scoop of Puppets.

Though I'll admit I dig some more modern tones too. The proggier bands now have some killer tones. Haken, Terramaze, Caligula's Horse. I do get burnt on the tech-death guys all going full mids, in your face, fuck your ears with a rusty spike tone but I suppose that goes hand-in-hand with the genre.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Speaking of people's subjective opinions. Wtf is the deal with this show? People staring awkwardly at each other and a guy drinks coffee and eats pancakes. I don't get the appeal.
It started before half the shows on TV were trying to be weird and edgy cool. So it was the lone weird and edgy cool show available. It was a way for the weirdos at the office to look down their noses at the normies during water cooler time and brag about their big brains for liking this show that most didn't get.

I always meant to watch it, since I'm a haughty, pretensions asshole too, but never managed to get around to it.

Reaction score
Speaking of people's subjective opinions. Wtf is the deal with this show? People staring awkwardly at each other and a guy drinks coffee and eats pancakes. I don't get the appeal.

It started before half the shows on TV were trying to be weird and edgy cool. So it was the lone weird and edgy cool show available. It was a way for the weirdos at the office to look down their noses at the normies during water cooler time and brag about their big brains for liking this show that most didn't get.

I always meant to watch it, since I'm a haughty, pretensions asshole too, but never managed to get around to it.
See these two people? I hate them and I want them exiled immediately. I won't tolerate this David Lynchphobia. NOT IN MY AMERICA

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own a Soloist and it's definitely an old man guitar. The Kids are playing those headless things that make them look like Level 42.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Weird we call it the Sun, though. Right? It's probably nothing.
We also call it Sol. And a star. We'd better have someone investigate. Can't be too careful. I'd bet there's some big political conspiracy in play.
See these two people? I hate them and I want them exiled immediately. I won't tolerate this David Lynchphobia. NOT IN MY AMERICA
HEY! I said I wanted to watch it! I just haven't gotten around to it yet!

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not the Lynch obsessive that I used to be, but Twin Peaks season one and The Return are both great.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Nah, if it "limits" folks, then they aren't very creative in their use of their instruments.

(.......this post was brought to you by a creatively limited guitar player.)

You don't even have to be that creative. Back when I was in a band (rock band, not metal band) we had a string of shows where our bass player was sick, so I played bass. Did a very mid heavy, as overdriven as the other guitar player bass tone and just got the sound guy to bump me up in the mix. Did a mix of country bass lines and harmonizing the guitar parts while pulling a Lemmy, and apparently it was the best we ever sounded, but egos.

The trick if you aren't creative, don't steal your bits from the genre you're trying to do.

Latest posts