Ambient/drone bands?

• Thread starter Ajb667
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ajb667

Reaction score
Lately I've been wanting to start writing some drone/ambient music. Which is really weird, because I listen to mostly metal, and I've never listened to much ambient or drone at ALL. What are some good artists to check out? All i really know of right now are This Will Destroy You and Sunn O))))

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
definitely a bit different but Jakob are a personal favorite of mine!

Damn right, such an amazing ....ing band!! Love that song as well, when that riff comes in like 4 mins in, merrr gawwwd.

Jakob and russian circles are probably my favourite instrumental ambient sort of bands :)

Caspian are prettty awesome as well, as mentioned above ^^^

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
These guys are very Doom influenced, but I saw them at the weekend and they were amazeballs:

Years ago I used to live in Napier which is where Jakob are from. I bought my first amp from the shop the guitar player worked at. He's a top bloke.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
The Melvin's droneyest. This track is often overlooked by Melvin's fans I think because it's on an EP and not one of their many, many full length albums.

And Boris has quite a bit of drone stuff, but this album is actually THE album that made me start being interested in drone music. It does rock out in the middle, but the intro is drone and the last 10-15 minutes are the most beautiful kind of feedback. idk how she does it but she makes the feedback sing, like she's able to hit different pitches purposely. It's nuts.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've seen Boris play Vomitself (last track on Amp Worship) and everything was vibrating because it was so loud, but even though it was so loud it wasn't harsh or piercing because of the way they do up their tone.
It felt like I was about to get teleported.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Altar of Plagues can be somewhat categorized in here. Black metal influence, but very spacey and ambient.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I'll nominate:

Red Sparrowes (members of Neurosis & ISIS)
Tribes Of Neurot (Neurosis' ambient alter-ego)
Harvestman

MetalMike04

Lefty cursed...
Reaction score
Damn right, such an amazing ....ing band!! Love that song as well, when that riff comes in like 4 mins in, merrr gawwwd.

most definitely, they have such a wall of sound that i lust after!

Jakob are the kind of band I imagine listening to in space on a long journey

fogcutter

Reaction score
I love this stuff.

One you might not have heard of is a duo from Chicago that used to perform under the name WHITE/LIGHT. They have some stuff on iTunes and band camp I think. They are probably my all-time favorite drone act.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

I wouldn't put GY!BE into the drone/ambient category, more like post-rock. They have elements where it gets incredibly rhythmic for periods of time (like East Hastings) but overall they've got so much melody to them and different elements combined it seems to be too much for ambient and too melodic for drone.