Amp advice

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
if you're in a band you'll need a 100 head, just by a THD hotplate to lower the volume but retain the tone for practicing

+1
Higher wattage heads will (typically) get you a fatter, fuller tone and will be loud enough for most any venues you play. Need to turn it down? Power attenuator will do the job without having to sacrifice tone.
THD Hotplate it my favourite power attenuator. Musician's Friend stopped carrying them though, I think. Makes me sad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xenos0176

Reaction score
i have a couple of practice amps, but yea i don't think i have enough space in my budget to go out and buy one of those

Phlegethon

Reaction score
Do you know where i could find one for cheap maybe? like is used a good idea with the ibanez head or should i go new?

well as it's been said in the thread already, they're cheap enough that buying new would be the better option (in america they seem to be 300 - 400 bucks after the gov't's cut) ... and I would simply go to a music store I liked to buy one. of course the try before you buy rule applies, so take your main axe(s) and make an outing of it and have a bit of fun

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I was interested in getting orange equipment because my favorite band uses them, but the only thing i could afford is a 15W tiny terror head and i don't know if that is worth buying or not or if it would mix well, be loud enough, all those things with a 120W cabinet

Just taking a guess since you have ATB as your Avatar if that's your fav band they don't use Orange amps they only use their cabs..... plus the preamp they do use costs more then a lot of the Orange amps do so once again way out of your budget. I'd say get yourself a 6505+/5150 II since you want something for those tunings plus a half decent clean...or get a solid state poweramp with a decent preamp like a Line6 or an even an ADA. :yesway:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
well as it's been said in the thread already, they're cheap enough that buying new would be the better option (in america they seem to be 300 - 400 bucks after the gov't's cut) ... and I would simply go to a music store I liked to buy one. of course the try before you buy rule applies, so take your main axe(s) and make an outing of it and have a bit of fun

:agreed:
Is very good head, but not for everyone. Definitely try it first. The price is right though. It's basically a tubescreamer with a power amp and a clean channel.

ShredBaron

Reaction score
The best amp I have played for under $1000 would be the Line Six Bogner Spider Valve 2, it is a GREAT practice amp, has a lot of effects. It is very clear. It does not sound as good as my Marshall JVM or as good as some of the high end stuff, but it has good clarity and effects built in. If you just want a good brutal metal sound get a Peavey 6505 or 5150 . I had the 6505 plus and it was great for low end metal rhythm but it lacked clarity for leads so I sold it and got the Marshall JVM 410H which is a GREAT rock amp and a good metal amp.... I am saving for the AXE FX so I think that will be enough for me. As far as practice amps I have a Peavey VYPR but it is not good, however it is ok for messing around a low volumes>. I having being playing rock and metal guitar since 1980 and I have owned the Mesa MarkII C, The Marshall Jubilee, a ADA MP1 preamp, Ampeg VH140C, Pro XT Line 6 and a Mesa 90 two channel power amp ,and some crates and other lesser gear. The ones i have mentioned are my favorites and of course I like Engl Special Edition as well. Back to the point.... for the money the Line 6 Spider Value is the best option for under a grand and the AXE FX is the best one for over a grand. That is just my 2 cents!

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
Personally I would try to find some used stuff.. ebay is your friend. For example, you can pick up a Digitech 2101 for a few hundred bucks and pair it with any power amp and you have a really bad ass and versatile combination. I've been using it for years and still love the thing to death.

It's not the "all tube" amp everyone raves about but I find those to be workhorses, incredibly flexible and versatile, plus you get great effects (which can be used as a standalone multi-effect process if you get a tube amp later), midi programmability, artist presets, etc.

Other examples could be the PodHD stuff, etc.

Tube amps are great but you would easily get into mid 1K range just for a head new.

Anyways, just some ideas.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Peavey XXL - 3 channels, 25? 50 or 100W, footswitchable, reverb, 3 modes per channel, and chances of finding one in the US for $250 are pretty good I think.

Xenos0176

Reaction score
yea right now i'm playing in tunings like drop B and A and i have been craving after the crazy low punch for amps that i have not been getting, After the Burial i know use Axe Fx, but i cannot afford that. Would an ibanez tx150H be better for that, or would the Peavy 6505 or 5150 be better for more end low stuff? Mind the fact i don't probably wanna go over $400 for a head, but yea used is probably what im going for for any of these heads

Xenos0176

Reaction score
Personally I would try to find some used stuff.. ebay is your friend. For example, you can pick up a Digitech 2101 for a few hundred bucks and pair it with any power amp and you have a really bad ass and versatile combination. I've been using it for years and still love the thing to death.

It's not the "all tube" amp everyone raves about but I find those to be workhorses, incredibly flexible and versatile, plus you get great effects (which can be used as a standalone multi-effect process if you get a tube amp later), midi programmability, artist presets, etc.

Other examples could be the PodHD stuff, etc.

Tube amps are great but you would easily get into mid 1K range just for a head new.

Anyways, just some ideas.

Could u possibly tell me about the digitech? I just googled it and that looks very interesting. Is it like a preamp/equalizer and whatnots? I mean cuz if some multi-effect pedals with eqs on em could fix my problem that'd be sweet. My friend has a multi effect pedal that has eqs on it and his seven string gets such a low punch on it. Would these be the way to go versus a new amp head altogether?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yea right now i'm playing in tunings like drop B and A and i have been craving after the crazy low punch for amps that i have not been getting, After the Burial i know use Axe Fx, but i cannot afford that. Would an ibanez tx150H be better for that, or would the Peavy 6505 or 5150 be better for more end low stuff? Mind the fact i don't probably wanna go over $400 for a head, but yea used is probably what im going for for any of these heads

the album cover for your avatar was actually done DI and re-amped through a Fortin NATAS. They're using the Axe-FX live though :yesway:

Xenos0176

Reaction score
yea true, but i am looking for something that gets that awesome low end punch for those tunings and im not too sure what to go for

Xenos0176

Reaction score
I honestly don't know thats why i'm asking

Although a buddy of mine offered me a Peave Valve King Head, anyone know how good these are?

Xenos0176

Reaction score
he's saying that and a peavy cab i think for $500 total, used obviously, he told me its about $900 new

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Won't do it.

Most of a low end punch is from the bass player and kick drum ;) guitars are mid range instruments.

Xenos0176

Reaction score
well i know that because i play those instruments too, but i know bands like periphery and After the burial get a really low punch on their guitars, they do tune down very low, but i am trying to find a relatively cheaper version of the stuff theyre using

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
well i know that because i play those instruments too, but i know bands like periphery and After the burial get a really low punch on their guitars, they do tune down very low, but i am trying to find a relatively cheaper version of the stuff theyre using

It's still mid ranged and the lows are coming from the Kick and bass like he said above. You want cheaper then get any of the POD's w/ a poweramp and a cab and you'll be good to go. :yesway:

Latest posts