Amp advice??

Njaton

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was looking into getting a new amp head (I have a valveking currently). I was thinking of getting a little bit nicer head and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a few! I was looking in the $500-$1000 range. I was looking at a few currently (Carvin V3, Laney IRT60H, Blackstar HT-50). Really any opinions would be very much appreciated! I play mostly metal (deathcore recently) but I also dabble in other genres as well. Thanks guys!

Oh, and if you know of any other awesome tube heads in that range please feel free to let me know! I'm not too picky!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
Would you mind a used amp? I'd always recommend an original 5150. I'm looking for another amp in a similar price range just to play around with, and a used rectifier may be worth checking out. The only amp I'm certain on though is a 5150, especially for the deathcore genre. I'd advise away from the 5150II and 5150III when compared to the original. They're built like tanks and they're absolutely brutal. What kind of cab do you have right now?

Good luck with your amp search!

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
$500-$1000 is a pretty broad range. 5150 / 6505 can be found aplenty in that range. If you need an amp with a good clean as well then that might make things a bit more difficult, but the HT50 is actually perfectly serviceable.

You can also consider some of the older Mesa Boogies. In that price range, you can usually find F-50s, Rectoverbs, Single and Dual Rectifiers and possibly a Mark IV at the upper end of the price range. The Mark III can usually be found in that range as well and the later revisions on it are actually more aggressive than the IV.

For reference, I picked up my Mark III combo for $800. It needed some work, but the total for that has come out to just over $200 including a new set of power tubes). I probably could have gotten a better deal had I known about the problems it had when I was checking it out. I would still definitely go used though as you can get some amazing sounds in that price range with some luck and it's really not a big deal if an amp needs a little work.

guitarfan85

Banned
Reaction score
What kind of cab do you have is it the one that's made for the valve king? I got a vk head and cab too and maybe someone else can answer does it make sense to buy a better head just to play it out of the vk cab?

Njaton

Reaction score
Would you mind a used amp? I'd always recommend an original 5150. I'm looking for another amp in a similar price range just to play around with, and a used rectifier may be worth checking out. The only amp I'm certain on though is a 5150, especially for the deathcore genre. I'd advise away from the 5150II and 5150III when compared to the original. They're built like tanks and they're absolutely brutal. What kind of cab do you have right now?

Good luck with your amp search!
Thanks! I was looking at those as well but, The only ones I've seen where super beaten up and I had trouble getting a tone I liked out of them (Both were combos as well). I have the 4x12 that goes with the valve king as well but I was thinking of getting a better 2x12 a little after I'd get the new amp.

Njaton

Reaction score
$500-$1000 is a pretty broad range. 5150 / 6505 can be found aplenty in that range. If you need an amp with a good clean as well then that might make things a bit more difficult, but the HT50 is actually perfectly serviceable.

You can also consider some of the older Mesa Boogies. In that price range, you can usually find F-50s, Rectoverbs, Single and Dual Rectifiers and possibly a Mark IV at the upper end of the price range. The Mark III can usually be found in that range as well and the later revisions on it are actually more aggressive than the IV.

For reference, I picked up my Mark III combo for $800. It needed some work, but the total for that has come out to just over $200 including a new set of power tubes). I probably could have gotten a better deal had I known about the problems it had when I was checking it out. I would still definitely go used though as you can get some amazing sounds in that price range with some luck and it's really not a big deal if an amp needs a little work.

I make sure to keep a look out for those Mesa's! I haven't played many 5150's and the ones I did we're rather beaten up, and I can't really get into 6505's for some reason, but i'll make sure to look for a 5150 in good condition! Thank you!

Njaton

Reaction score
What kind of cab do you have is it the one that's made for the valve king? I got a vk head and cab too and maybe someone else can answer does it make sense to buy a better head just to play it out of the vk cab?

I guess it would be up to preference but, I'll probably get a new cab as well after I get the head.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
Thanks! I was looking at those as well but, The only ones I've seen where super beaten up and I had trouble getting a tone I liked out of them (Both were combos as well). I have the 4x12 that goes with the valve king as well but I was thinking of getting a better 2x12 a little after I'd get the new amp.

I'm not sure what speakers the valve king 4x12 has in it, but I really like the 5150 with both v30's (think mesa cab) and the k100 (think orange cab) speakers. I built my own 4x12 and loaded it with two of each for less than $500, which is similarly priced to most good 2x12's, though that's not including wood tools!

If you want the deathcore tone I suggest a 5150 head with v30's or k100's, and get yourself an overdrive pedal to stick in front of it. I'm willing to bet most of the tones you're hearing are a screamer or similar in front of a 5150. I never play my 5150 without it. I don't really think there are any amps that get "that" tone on their own.

Njaton

Reaction score
I'm not sure what speakers the valve king 4x12 has in it, but I really like the 5150 with both v30's (think mesa cab) and the k100 (think orange cab) speakers. I built my own 4x12 and loaded it with two of each for less than $500, which is similarly priced to most good 2x12's, though that's not including wood tools!

If you want the deathcore tone I suggest a 5150 head with v30's or k100's, and get yourself an overdrive pedal to stick in front of it. I'm willing to bet most of the tones you're hearing are a screamer or similar in front of a 5150. I never play my 5150 without it. I don't really think there are any amps that get "that" tone on their own.

I was thinking about a mesa 2x12 actually haha, from what I know they are $500. I think for the most part your right about the 5150's. I'm going to keep my eye out for one! thanks!

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
I was thinking about a mesa 2x12 actually haha, from what I know they are $500. I think for the most part your right about the 5150's. I'm going to keep my eye out for one! thanks!

A mesa 2x12 will be perfect for the tone you want.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score

yeah for a $1000, you could find both the 5150 and a nice cab - which does make a pretty noticeable difference. Even a Mesa 4x12 (or 2x12) go for about $500. Then you can sell the Valveking and whatever cab you have and you'll come out having spend around $600-700, and have the head and cab you really want...commence chugging :hbang: :metal:

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
yeah for a $1000, you could find both the 5150 and a nice cab - which does make a pretty noticeable difference. Even a Mesa 4x12 (or 2x12) go for about $500. Then you can sell the Valveking and whatever cab you have and you'll come out having spend around $600-700, and have the head and cab you really want...commence chugging :hbang: :metal:

A used mesa 4x12 can be had for $6-700 if you shop around, although depending on how big of a guy you are it might not be the most feasible thing to move around. Some little dudes have a tough time with the 2x12 cabs. I must say though, it's worth hauling the 4x12 around. With a 2x12 you could get a stand to set it up on.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
JSX, can't go wrong with one in goos shape, does it all.

I would take a 5150 over a jsx any day of the week, and i owned a jsx for a couple of years.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
I was really looking into a v3 but, had trouble finding clips of it playing heavier tones. Can you get solid metal tones on it?

The V3 has a mixxed bag of reviews from what I gathered when I looked into it, however I've never actually played one so I won't comment on it.

My suggestion is still firmly a 5150. Pretty much all of the -core bands are playing one or have at some point. It will undoubtedly get you the tone you seek. Most of those guys are just doing an EMG 81 > Screamer > 5150 > Vintage 30 chain. It's a proven combination. Don't worry about sounding unique at this point, you'll be unique enough by playing your own material. Rock a 5150 because it's cheap and highly effective. Play other amps when you get the chance and save for something different if it really blows you away; but I'm sure you'll love the 5150. I'm always on the hunt for something else and I keep coming back to my 5150 after playing other amps. At this point I've realized it isn't going anywhere and any other amp I get will be to compliment it on future recordings.

Njaton

Reaction score
The V3 has a mixxed bag of reviews from what I gathered when I looked into it, however I've never actually played one so I won't comment on it.

My suggestion is still firmly a 5150. Pretty much all of the -core bands are playing one or have at some point. It will undoubtedly get you the tone you seek. Most of those guys are just doing an EMG 81 > Screamer > 5150 > Vintage 30 chain. It's a proven combination. Don't worry about sounding unique at this point, you'll be unique enough by playing your own material. Rock a 5150 because it's cheap and highly effective. Play other amps when you get the chance and save for something different if it really blows you away; but I'm sure you'll love the 5150. I'm always on the hunt for something else and I keep coming back to my 5150 after playing other amps. At this point I've realized it isn't going anywhere and any other amp I get will be to compliment it on future recordings.

I really want to find a one in good shape to play, I am worried about getting such an old amp though. I feel like I could buy one and think it's in great shape only to find many unexpected issues :/. have you had any problems with yours?

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
I was really looking into a v3 but, had trouble finding clips of it playing heavier tones. Can you get solid metal tones on it?

I saw one at a Dietz music while I was visiting family, it was either in Omaha or Lincoln ( I checked out both). Look there.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
I've never played the Laney or Carvin, but the Blackstar is a bit soulless and doesn't take a boost well.

Latest posts