Amp Head Help

• Thread starter 8stringcleans
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8stringcleans

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the forum and this is my first post/thread. I have recently ditched my surf rig and have taken on playing 8 strings. I like the versatility, wide range of tones, and ability to play bass and guitar with one instrument. I need some help with an amp head though.....I have an Orange ppc212c and an Ibanez Tam10 (not super into Tosin or AAL just like the versatility of ionizer's) I play mostly clean and need ALOT of headroom I would also like to venture into more dirty tones as well but clean is my top priority.

I have been looking at Elmwood m90's, Orange TV200, Orange OR120's, Bogner Shiva's, and Uberschalls. my budget is around $2000 so any other recommendations or confirmations would be great, I play atmospheric, jazz, surf, indie, metal, and garage rock. thanks!

note: I've recently departed with a Mesa Lonestar and have owned Fender Twins, I would like to stay away from amps like that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMC_OriginalSin

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
Check out the Diezel Li'l Fokker. They run about 2,300 so it's a bit north of your budget, but it's the best sounding amp I've ever played. I'm not much of a tone snob, but the amp just sounds good

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I just bought a Panama Inferno 100 (It's $1,500 new).

4 channels, so has some versatility to it.

I'm still giving mine a test run, but figured it might be worth mentioning.

sandalhat

Reaction score
If the M90 is on your radar already I'd definitely suggest checking it out if you can. Aside from the awesome high gain tones you can get out of it (which will obviously be secondary to you) it really has a beautiful clean channel for both pure clean and all levels of pushed clean up to crunch.

8stringcleans

Reaction score
If the M90 is on your radar already I'd definitely suggest checking it out if you can. Aside from the awesome high gain tones you can get out of it (which will obviously be secondary to you) it really has a beautiful clean channel for both pure clean and all levels of pushed clean up to crunch.

Thanks for the feedback, it really is at the top of my list. It seems to combine Hifi cleans, marshall grind, and boutique style high gain.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the forum and this is my first post/thread. I have recently ditched my surf rig and have taken on playing 8 strings. I like the versatility, wide range of tones, and ability to play bass and guitar with one instrument. I need some help with an amp head though.....I have an Orange ppc212c and an Ibanez Tam10 (not super into Tosin or AAL just like the versatility of ionizer's) I play mostly clean and need ALOT of headroom I would also like to venture into more dirty tones as well but clean is my top priority.

I have been looking at Elmwood m90's, Orange TV200, Orange OR120's, Bogner Shiva's, and Uberschalls. my budget is around $2000 so any other recommendations or confirmations would be great, I play atmospheric, jazz, surf, indie, metal, and garage rock. thanks!

note: I've recently departed with a Mesa Lonestar and have owned Fender Twins, I would like to stay away from amps like that.

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier - Its ironic that metal players buy this amp when jazz players would benefit more. If you want tube tone, a lot of headroom, and play clean, Channel 1 of the Triple Rectifier gives you exactly that, 150 watts to be specific. The Roadster and Road King have better clean channels but less wattage.

I love Bogner! The Bogner Shiva 20th Anniversary can be had for under $2000 used and the standard Shiva is even less. The Bogner Goldfinger 45 is probably the most "beautiful sounding" amp I've ever played. The clean channel is unmatched amongst "production" amplifiers as opposed to boutique amplifiers. Even then, the Goldfinger 45 beats a good handful of the boutique amps.

(I would scratch the Uberschall of your list if clean tones are important to you because clean tones were not important to Reinhold when he designed the amp.) :2c:

haieb

Reaction score
I know that you are asking about a head but the versatility you are asking for is the biggest strength of a modeler? Like the Kemper and the Axe :p

Latest posts