Anime/manga megathread

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Goblin Slayer s2: Uggh, they changed the animation style. It's less detailed and a lot of the fight scenes are half assed compared to the first season. I do like that they're spending more time fleshing out some other members of Goblin Slayer's party.

Also there is almost no appreciable difference between the cut and uncut versions of s1. Some minor shots are extended but that's it.

Last edited:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Trigun got added back on Hulu, of maybe it never left and it's just re-suggesting it to me, but either way, I'll rewatch it for the umpteenth time.

Maybe I'll do Samurai Champloo after since I haven't watched that since it originally aired.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I'll do Samurai Champloo after since I haven't watched that since it originally aired.
Let us know how you like this. This is one from my bucketlist I never got to before I fell off of anime. Might be cool giving it a chance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Let us know how you like this. This is one from my bucketlist I never got to before I fell off of anime. Might be cool giving it a chance.

Oops, I forgot that when I went onto Hulu, they also added Gundam Wing, and that show was part of 11 year old me's daily routine; so naturally I have to give that a watch first, and see if it's as teenage edgelord as I've heard.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished watching Made in Abyss.

Holy shit :lol:
God, I hated this show. It had sooo much promise, but then they fucked it all up. Worst part of all is that I don't even remember exactly why I hated it :lol: it just left me sour and that sourness is what I remember. I don't even want to watch the movies or the 2nd season.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
God, I hated this show. It had sooo much promise, but then they fucked it all up. Worst part of all is that I don't even remember exactly why I hated it :lol: it just left me sour and that sourness is what I remember. I don't even want to watch the movies or the 2nd season.

I liked it, I like the premise and find it intriguing. But it's VERY cruel towards the characters.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I liked it, I like the premise and find it intriguing. But it's VERY cruel towards the characters.
Yeah I think that's what it was. I found it too gratuitous. Like the cruelty served no purpose other than shock value for its own sake, and that just didn't gel with me.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm looking for some anime to watch. I'm a relative noobie, having seen: Robot Carnival, Berserk (the first and only season of the OG) Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust, Gungrave, Death Note, some DBZ, some Pokemon, and one of the Street Fighter II animes. So far, I've loved what I've watched, but I'm looking for more that would be good for someone who considers themselves a beginner. Right now, I'm in the middle of Cowboy Bebop and I am enjoying the absolute hell out of it. My favorite genres are: horror, noir, sci-fi and fantasy.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm looking for some anime to watch. I'm a relative noobie, having seen: Robot Carnival, Berserk (the first and only season of the OG) Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust, Gungrave, Death Note, some DBZ, some Pokemon, and one of the Street Fighter II animes. So far, I've loved what I've watched, but I'm looking for more that would be good for someone who considers themselves a beginner. Right now, I'm in the middle of Cowboy Bebop and I am enjoying the absolute hell out of it. My favorite genres are: horror, noir, sci-fi and fantasy.
netflix's Castlevania, Hellsing, Parasyte, Tokyo Ghoul, Elfen Lied, Gantz and of course Akira/Ghost in the Shell.

If you made it through Berserk then most everything else will seem tame beyond certain parts of Elfen Lied or Tokyo Ghoul.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
You may like Evangelion.

You may not understand it. But you may like it.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I second Ghost in the Shell. The original 1995 animated film is a bit more of a classic. Somewhat more introspective and is more about the big questions. Then there is the anime itself, Stand Alone Complex, that retains the big questions but is also jam-packed full of action and suspense. Ghost in the Shell really is the epitome - if not the definition - of the cyberpunk genre. The anime has a little bit more of a noir vibe, though nothing approaching Cowboy Bebop... you kinda started with the creme de la creme there :lol:

I also second Evangelion. I also second that you may not understand. One way or another, it will leave an indelible mark on your psyche :lol: be warned that if you do like it, it is an ABSOLUTE rabbit hole you will never (want to) leave.

Ergo Proxy I remember as being a pretty dark noir. It's got a lot of classical philosophy references if you're into that kinda stuff. It's like the cyberpunk of Ghost in the Shell meets meets the mindfuckery of Evangelion, though it doesn't have quite the same depth as Eva.

Psycho-Pass is another cool scifi noir anime. It's basically a dystopian future police crime drama show. Don't remember much other than it is pretty cool. There's a second season, but I binge watched it while also binge drinking so idk what happens on it. :lol:

Leavinf sci-fi for a minute, Monster is a REALLY cool crime anime. It is long though (70+ episodes), and it's one of those anime that could well have been (and perhaps should have been) a live action show. It doesn't really take much advantage of what the medium offers, but fuck the story is really cool.

Continuing on the sci-fi genre, Steins;Gate is kind of a must as well, though it loses the noir and replaces it with a weird but satisfying blend of slice of life, suspense, and romance. Lots of cool time travel stuff and one of the first anime that I am aware of that focused heavily on it. It's cool, albeit a little depressing sometimes.

And if you like REALLY hard sci-fi, watch Planetes. It's the kind of sci-fi you see in stuff like The Martian. Really cool stuff. I forget exactly the story, but I remember it being really cool and having well developed characters.

If you like fantasy... ugh, here I go again, don't mind me, watch Fate/Zero. And the watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks (the 2014 anime), and then hopefully get sucked into the Fate franchise. You will never leave. You will die there. It is both amazing and infuriating. It's a little hard to wrap your head around initially, but FUCK it's incredible once you do get it. There's a metric fuckton of Fate/media out there, but Fate/Zero does a great job at introducing the franchise. If you become big enough fan you may even hop onto the Nasuverse and start watching more fantasy shit that is loosely related to Fate (happens in the same universe), like Kara no Kyoukai (aka The Garden of Sinners film series) and Tsukihime. This is the universe where I kinda dropped off of anime. It did everything I wanted anime to do, honestly. :lol: It isn't by any stretch the only good anime out there, but it kinda became MY be-all and end-all. Just don't EVER get into Fate/Grand Order; just don't. You still need that money to buy nice guitars! :lol:

It has been a long time since I last watched anime properly though, and I am forgetting a TON of stuff, but if you go through the pages of this thread you'll see I was pretty obsessive for some time. I should really pull up my list of shows I've watched so I can give you more proper recommendations.

Summoning @Bloody_Inferno since he is more knowledgeable than I am on cool sci-fi stuff and anime in general.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Jujutsu Kaisen s2- the frame rate seems noticeably worse compared to the first season, and they swapped animation styles. BOOOO

Season 1 is still a banger even after rewatching it.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Jujutsu Kaisen s2- the frame rate seems noticeably worse compared to the first season, and they swapped animation styles. BOOOO

Season 1 is still a banger even after rewatching it.

Between their Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League early access comments and giving JJK S2 a 6/10, IGN seems like they're trying to convince people they're not easily bought for good publicity; others were saying they're actually pretty rough on animes because it's not their primary focus/audience so they can be impartial without biting the hand that feeds, which is super fucked up that that's how people think you shouldn't be on the thing you ACTUALLY love too?

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Between their Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League early access comments and giving JJK S2 a 6/10, IGN seems like they're trying to convince people they're not easily bought for good publicity; others were saying they're actually pretty rough on animes because it's not their primary focus/audience so they can be impartial without biting the hand that feeds, which is super fucked up that that's how people think you shouldn't be on the thing you ACTUALLY love too?
I don't pay attention to IGN. They've never really been reliable for reviews imo, whether it comes to games or other media. I still remember when they called Far Cry 3 "skyrim with guns" lmao

The storyline of JJK 2 is fine but the animation switch is jarring, especially the framerate drop.

I saw the same exact thing with Goblin Slayer S2, where there is a noticeable decline in the fluidity and complexity of the animation.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The storyline of JJK 2 is fine but the animation switch is jarring, especially the framerate drop.

I saw the same exact thing with Goblin Slayer S2, where there is a noticeable decline in the fluidity and complexity of the animation.

I would've guessed they were both done by the same studio (MAPPA), but apparently it's much worse, Goblin Slayer S2 was the same studio that did the 2016 Berserk; such a cruel fate.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I would've guessed they were both done by the same studio (MAPPA), but apparently it's much worse, Goblin Slayer S2 was the same studio that did the 2016 Berserk; such a cruel fate.
Berserk 2016 is wayyyy better animation wise than Goblin Slayer 2. For taking 5 years between seasons they really shit the bed with Goblin Slayer 2.

Latest posts