Another Agile Interceptor review.

• Thread starter Donnie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Granted I haven't spent a whole lot of time on it yet but I'll try to do a small little review anyway. :D
My first impression when I pulled it out of the box was that this thing has a tree trunk for a neck! I don't think I have played a guitar with such a bat for a neck. Keep in mind that I'm really use to the necks on my JP7s. Though, after a couple hours of playing around on it, I'm getting use to it a little at a time. The neck itself seems pretty damn straight. And the frets seem really level for a guitar this cheap. If I keep it, which is looking like I will, I'm deffinately going to shave the neck a bit to make it thinner and replace the trem with a real floyd. I do believe some sort of lo-pro type of trem is in order. And the fine tuners on this trem aren't "fine" enough.
The finish looks good if not a little thin. Maybe it's because of the transparency. I'm curious to see how much of a beating this thing can take. We shall see... I love guitars that look like they have been though hell and back. This one looks like a perfect canidate for such a look. :lol: And well... it's purple. :D
Soundwise, it's not bad. It's a little brighter than I like but I can live with it. And the low end is no where near as smooth as my JP7s but still not to bad. Also, it's a little to mid-rangey for my tastes. Which is odd, since I really dig mids. :scratch: I'm sure some pickup experimentation will be coming soon. I guess I'm not as big a fan of DiMarzio Blaze's as I thought.
It plays fairly well. The 27" scale doesn't phase me at all. Maybe it's because I have giant hands. It almost feels more comfortable than a 25 1/2" scale. Again, if the neck was a little slimmer, this thing would be one fast som' bitch.
For now, I'd give it about a 6 - 6.5 out of 10. Excellent value for someone on a budget. I'll probably have more of an opinion formed after practice tonight.

And in closing... this guitar is pretty big. I'm kind of bummed that on me, it still looks small. :squint: (see bottom pic)

front.jpg

back.jpg

body_front.jpg

back_body.jpg

headstock.jpg

Donnie.jpg

^... and no, I don't believe in smiling. :fawk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Godzilla gives it two thumbs up! :D

so, i guess you were missing the XV500 and got the purple one? ;)

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I missed having the mighty purple one around. :lol:
Leon said:
Godzilla gives it two thumbs up! :D
Hah! I didn't notice that. Of course, he's probably reffering to the Flash Gordon soundtrack jacket hanging on the wall. It's his favorite album. :D

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
if you do plan on selling it i'd like to be the first to know cause i would like one.... and i like the color (but i do have th megenta 7420 and love it so yea....).

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks there snuggle muffin. :wub2:
theunforgiven246 said:
if you do plan on selling it i'd like to be the first to know cause i would like one.... and i like the color (but i do have th megenta 7420 and love it so yea....).
Sure thing. Although, the more I play it, the more I'm diggin' it. :yesway: :D
I came up with a patch on my Vetta, using the Diezel VH4 model, that seems to sound quite tasty with it. I should see if I can borrow a mic or something and see if I can't capture a good sample of it.

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That guitar looks badass. ...

I want this ESP btw, it's in the same vein as the violet: http://drumcityguitarland.com/inventory/images/2149.jpg I mean the headstock is just badass.

And yes, I am the ultimate "I post something completely unrelated in the thread" poster...except if you click the link you'll know why.

Anyway that really makes me want one but if it plays like the C7 hellraiser then I don't think it'd jive too well, I'd have to try one out.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Wow, I just got mine today too, same color actually (dammit Rondo you need more black ones :rant: :lol: ), review should be coming soon.

Although, for now, Donnie's review could have baen mine, he's not kidding about the neck, officially the biggest I've played on a seven.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
psyphre said:
Wow, I just got mine today too, same color actually (dammit Rondo you need more black ones :rant: :lol: ), review should be coming soon.

Although, for now, Donnie's review could have baen mine, he's not kidding about the neck, officially the biggest I've played on a seven.
Then you obviously haven't played a Epi Les Paul 7. ;)

C'mon guys, they ain't THAT big. No bigger than a Schecter or ESP.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
psyphre said:

Sweet. :yesway:

Shannon, I'm also coming from how tiny my JP7 necks feel compared to the Agile. :)

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Donnie said:
Sweet. :yesway:

Shannon, I'm also coming from how tiny my JP7 necks feel compared to the Agile. :)
And that's why I brought that up. Keeping things in context.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Whoa you look ready to sock someone in the face.

That or you just woke up lol.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I think I'd want another Interceptor sometime later. I'd want to repaint it white. Think, white on black hardware/fretboard, that'd be so cool....

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
In the last pic it looks cool as hell. Actually seeing it on somebody kind of puts it in perspective.

Very cool. I'm jonesing for one of these in the trans black, and will probably pick one up.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Then you obviously haven't played a Epi Les Paul 7. ;)

C'mon guys, they ain't THAT big. No bigger than a Schecter or ESP.

Nah man, it's big, but here's the thing, I noticed there's no flatness to the back of the neck, it consistently rounded (IMO), and I think it makes the neck FEEL bigger than it is.

Right now, I have some issues with the Interceptor, but its also the most fun I've had playing in a while, if that helps put things into perspective.

I originally has thought about getting a Septor instead, and while I'm entertaining that now, I really like this scale length, so we'll see.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mastodon said:
Whoa you look ready to sock someone in the face.

That or you just woke up lol.
Genrally, I'm just not a happy person... or so it seems. :D

btw... Shannon, the neck is still huge. :fawk:

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well... I think the final verdict is in. I don't think I'm going to keep it. It would make a pretty good back up for my Petrucci's but I think I'm to spoiled by the JPs to ever really use it.
One thing I noticed in practice tonight was that the frets are freakin' huge campared to the JP7s. My fingers kept sticking. I'm also pretty heavey handed. So that might be a factor.
It sounds good and plays good, but it's just not my thing.
So if you're interested, keep an eye out in the classifieds. :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Donnie said:

Steve, you got some sleep!

:fawk:

Those are cool looking guitars, and the fretwork looks, as near as I can tell from the pictures you've provided, fairly clean and even. Not bad, and the purple doesn't look nearly as flamboyant when you've got the guitar strapped on. Cool. :)

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Donnie said:
So if you're interested, keep an eye out in the classifieds. :D
are you within the grace period for sending it back to Rondo for a full refund?