Another Gibson price increase?

• Thread starter LCW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Fast food prices in general are kind of nuts here. Without a coupon, a mcd’s combo is going to run around $13cdn. Fuck that :lol: i can get a pizza for that much and feed 4 or have multiple meals.
Takeaway must be much cheaper in Canada than the UK. $13cdn = £7.73. You can get some McDonald's meals for that, but a large Domino's pizza costs £22.99 ($38.65cdn).

More importantly, how does one pizza feed four people / last for multiple meals? :p

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You should also ask me what is the average payroll which is about 800-1000 per month... Average car 25000, average house 200000 euros. So a 3000 guitar is quite expensive. NOT imposimple but very expensive.
I think even with the exchange that your housing is more affordable standalone than here. I know the house we got would have cost half as much not long ago and the same is true for most of them.

For reference, a new lp is 10% of what i was taking home a few years ago. I also dont buy them new.
Takeaway must be much cheaper in Canada than the UK. $13cdn = £7.73. You can get some McDonald's meals for that, but a large Domino's pizza costs £22.99 ($38.65cdn).

More importantly, how does one pizza feed four people / last for multiple meals? :p
Is that a large cheese or pep? +1 to “multiple meals?”

BillK

Reaction score
I think even with the exchange that your housing is more affordable standalone than here. I know the house we got would have cost half as much not long ago and the same is true for most of them.

For reference, a new lp is 10% of what i was taking home a few years ago. I also dont buy them new.

Is that a large cheese or pep? +1 to “multiple meals?”
We are talking about a 3000 guitar new or old.
Also it's not only how much is the house alone, you also need to buy a bunch of stuff to live in the house, taxes for the house etc.
It's nothing wrong for someone to have 45 guitars and 30 amps I'm not here to judge anyone but in some places 3000$ is a lot of money for a guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Also it's not only how much is the house alone, you also need to buy a bunch of stuff to live in the house, taxes for the house etc.
It's nothing wrong for someone to have 45 guitars and 30 amps I'm not here to judge anyone but in some places 3000$ is a lot of money for a guitar.
Like i said, 3kUS is 1/10 of my takehome a few years back (only recently stopped touring and changed positions, relatively).

A used lp standard isnt 3kUS most places, though some will certainly ask it anyway.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
3k is a luxury guitar everywhere. I'm just saying, you don't need to be rich to buy one. You just need to put up the cash - and a lot of people do. Millions of Americans are outdriving their budget with brand new 30k+ cars and many guitarists are spending more than they can afford on guitars, often on credit/bnpl.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
In my country a net household income of around 500 dollars a month makes you middle class. That's around 28% of the population, 500 dollars for a family of 4.

A 900 dollars monthly household income is considered middle upper class (17% of the population).

And 1800 dollars makes you upper class (that's 5% of the population). More than that makes you rich.

The rest is - obviously- lower class / poor / extremely poor.

So I can see how some people think that spending $3000 in a guitar makes someone look like they are rich. Add to that that a Gibson Les Paul Standard (new) costs around $5500 here...

But I don't think the intention of this thread was the discussion of third world economies, or that OP was thinking about what happens outside of the United States (that is, if he's an American). And even if a small portion of the population is really wealthy, they are a lot of people (in absolute numbers) and they still spend money buying guitars and other luxury items. Enough to keep brands like PRS going, I guess :lol:

Last edited:

Demiurge

Reaction score
3k is a luxury guitar everywhere. I'm just saying, you don't need to be rich to buy one. You just need to put up the cash - and a lot of people do. Millions of Americans are outdriving their budget with brand new 30k+ cars and many guitarists are spending more than they can afford on guitars, often on credit/bnpl.
Of course, people post their NGDs and not their credit card bills, so sometimes the perception gets skewed as to how large some people are living online. Then, other people over-extend themselves to keep up with everyone else.

At least music pays well, right? /s

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I make 4200 a month and I'm "middle class".
Screenshot_2023-06-27-20-20-31-623_com.android.chrome.jpg
Even upgrading to a real OFR is a significant investment.
Screenshot_2023-06-27-20-19-00-873_com.android.chrome.jpg
Brand name pickups also are not cheap.
Screenshot_2023-06-27-20-23-24-848_com.android.chrome.jpg

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
You should also ask me what is the average payroll which is about 800-1000 per month... Average car 25000, average house 200000 euros. So a 3000 guitar is quite expensive. NOT imposimple but very expensive.
I would say the affordability of a 3k guitar has almost as much to do with how someone prioritises use of their money as how rich they are. Obviously, some people simply wouldn't be able to afford a 3k guitar, but there are plenty of people who aren't "rich" but can (and do) spend 3k on a guitar.

For example:
Three people with the same salary, same savings (£12.5k) and same disposable income (£262.94) - i.e. no-one is any richer or poorer than the others. They all buy a Ford Focus in 2020.

Person A buys a new Ford Focus for £25k, paying £12.5k up front and taking out finance for the remaining £12.5k, at 10% APR over 5 years. Person A's total spend on the car will be £28,276.69.
Today (in 2023), the car is worth £12.5k, so they could sell it at a loss of £15,776.69. Person A still has £6310.56 left to pay (two more years of monthly repayments).
The monthly repayments of £262.94 make it difficult for them to save anything, after their monthly bills and groceries etc. are paid for, so they have no savings. This will continue to be the case for the next two years. They cannot afford to upgrade their car, or buy a guitar (not even a cheap guitar, let alone a £3k guitar), or to go on holiday.
In 2025, Person A has a 5-year-old Ford Focus, no savings and no guitar. Not only can Person A not afford to upgrade the car or buy a guitar, they also still can't afford a holiday.
After five years without a proper holiday, Person A is stressed and really needs to get away. They pay for a holiday on a credit card and are now £1k in debt.

Person B buys a 3-year-old Ford Focus on the used market for 12.5k (50% depreciation after 3 years is average in the UK). Person B's total spend on the car will be only £12.5k (£15,776.69 less than Person A spent).
Today, the car is worth £6250 (assuming 75% depreciation on the new price that the first owner paid in 2017), so Person B could sell it at a loss of £6250 (£9526.69 less than Person A would lose).
Due to not having to spend £262.94 per month on loan repayments, Person B has instead put this amount into a savings account each month for the last three years. Person B really wants to buy a £3k guitar, so didn't go on any holidays and has saved £9465.84 + accumulated £450 in interest (3% rate). After selling the car for £6250, Person B has £15,865.84 available.
Person B buys another 3-year-old Ford Focus (i.e. manufactured in 2020), which happens to be the same age as the one that Person A still owns, for £12.5k. £3665.84 is available to spend on a guitar. This means Person B can own the same car as Person A (no longer an older version of it), afford a £3k guitar, and has £665.84 left over to spend on a holiday.
In 2025, Person B has saved up another £6310.56 + accumulated £200 interest (3% rate), but spent £1000 of these savings on a holiday in 2024. They sell their 5-year-old car for £8750 (65% depreciation assumed) and buy another 3-year-old car for £12.5k, then spend £1k on a summer holiday. This leaves £760.56 in their savings account. Person B now has a newer car than Person A, owns a £3k guitar and has been on 3x as many holidays, yet is is £1760.56 better off than Person A.

Person C buys a 5-year-old Ford Focus for £8750, spends £3k on a guitar and has £750 left over for a holiday.
In 2025, Person C still owns the same car, which is now 10 years old. They have amassed £15,766.40 in savings + accumulated £1000 interest, but spent £1k per year (£4k total) of that on annual holidays.
Person C sells their car for £2500 (assuming 90% depreciation), buys another 5-year-old Ford Focus (the same age as Person A's) for £8750, and then spends £1k on a holiday. This leaves £4526.40 in savings, from which they buy another £3k guitar.
Person C now has two more £3k guitars than Person A (one more than Person B), a car the same age as Person A's (two years older than Person B's), has been on 5x as many holidays as Person A (3 more than Person B) and is £2526.40 better off than Person A (£765.84 better off than Person B).

I could easily have added other factors into the mix, such as the amount spent on smart phones (e.g. a £200 handset upgraded every 5 years vs. a £1000 handset upgraded every 2 years = £2600 difference in the above timeframe), nights out, eating out, clothes, jewellery etc.
Some people naturally spend every penny they have without really thinking about it, some will fall into the trap of spending more than they have and racking up debt even if they have a huge salary, and others are naturally very careful and systematic with their finances.
Please don't mistake this for me implying that anyone could afford a £3k guitar if they were careful with their money, as I know that's really not the case. All I'm saying is you don't need to be rich (although "rich" is of course very subjective and someone living in poverty could easily perceive someone who's upper working class to be rich, even though they may earn below the national average wage).

These are guitars that you would need to be rich to afford ;)
https://reverb.com/news/the-most-expensive-guitars-ever-sold

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
PRS Core guitars aren't really equivalent to LP standards though - they're marketed as CS quality in factory quantity and billed as such - more along the lines of FCS team-built or Gibson's regular CS offerings. I'm not making any arguments about whether they're worth as much as they cost, just that PRS is targeting a different price bracket

High 2k's to low 3k's seems standard for American-made factory flagships these days no?
Fender Ultra
Gibson Standard
Jackson American
EBMM's entire non-sig range

Out of Japan we've got:
Jackson/Charvel MJ
Ibanez PIA/J-Custom
ESP E-II

Gibson isn't exactly price-gouging or appealing to an aging, affluent demographic IMO - they're competing reasonably in a market that's heavily inflated across the board since 2020
Hasn't the price gap (%) between a Gibson LP and a high-end Jackson / Ibanez / N.E.Other actually closed in recent years?

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, though you wouldn’t know it by looking at the Custom Shop models, the $3k price is a luxury even among Gibsons. You can buy a new LP Studio for $1,699 USD, which is right in the middle of a bunch of LTD sig models made in Korea and Indonesia. You can buy a satin-finish Tribute LP for less than the cheapest MIA Strat. Worn Tribute Specials are $999. For that you get MIM Fender.

And here’s a secret you might not know: You don’t actually need binding, or even the labor-intensive gloss nitro finish, to get a Les Paul that plays and sounds like a Les Paul. Perfect fit and finish and fancy cosmetics don’t impress me as much as tone and feel. I’ve played low-end Gibsons that make your average Epiphone or MIM Fender feel like yard-sale specials.

BillK

Reaction score
I would say the affordability of a 3k guitar has almost as much to do with how someone prioritises use of their money as how rich they are. Obviously, some people simply wouldn't be able to afford a 3k guitar, but there are plenty of people who aren't "rich" but can (and do) spend 3k on a guitar.

For example:
Three people with the same salary, same savings (£12.5k) and same disposable income (£262.94) - i.e. no-one is any richer or poorer than the others. They all buy a Ford Focus in 2020.

Person A buys a new Ford Focus for £25k, paying £12.5k up front and taking out finance for the remaining £12.5k, at 10% APR over 5 years. Person A's total spend on the car will be £28,276.69.
Today (in 2023), the car is worth £12.5k, so they could sell it at a loss of £15,776.69. Person A still has £6310.56 left to pay (two more years of monthly repayments).
The monthly repayments of £262.94 make it difficult for them to save anything, after their monthly bills and groceries etc. are paid for, so they have no savings. This will continue to be the case for the next two years. They cannot afford to upgrade their car, or buy a guitar (not even a cheap guitar, let alone a £3k guitar), or to go on holiday.
In 2025, Person A has a 5-year-old Ford Focus, no savings and no guitar. Not only can Person A not afford to upgrade the car or buy a guitar, they also still can't afford a holiday.
After five years without a proper holiday, Person A is stressed and really needs to get away. They pay for a holiday on a credit card and are now £1k in debt.

Person B buys a 3-year-old Ford Focus on the used market for 12.5k (50% depreciation after 3 years is average in the UK). Person B's total spend on the car will be only £12.5k (£15,776.69 less than Person A spent).
Today, the car is worth £6250 (assuming 75% depreciation on the new price that the first owner paid in 2017), so Person B could sell it at a loss of £6250 (£9526.69 less than Person A would lose).
Due to not having to spend £262.94 per month on loan repayments, Person B has instead put this amount into a savings account each month for the last three years. Person B really wants to buy a £3k guitar, so didn't go on any holidays and has saved £9465.84 + accumulated £450 in interest (3% rate). After selling the car for £6250, Person B has £15,865.84 available.
Person B buys another 3-year-old Ford Focus (i.e. manufactured in 2020), which happens to be the same age as the one that Person A still owns, for £12.5k. £3665.84 is available to spend on a guitar. This means Person B can own the same car as Person A (no longer an older version of it), afford a £3k guitar, and has £665.84 left over to spend on a holiday.
In 2025, Person B has saved up another £6310.56 + accumulated £200 interest (3% rate), but spent £1000 of these savings on a holiday in 2024. They sell their 5-year-old car for £8750 (65% depreciation assumed) and buy another 3-year-old car for £12.5k, then spend £1k on a summer holiday. This leaves £760.56 in their savings account. Person B now has a newer car than Person A, owns a £3k guitar and has been on 3x as many holidays, yet is is £1760.56 better off than Person A.

Person C buys a 5-year-old Ford Focus for £8750, spends £3k on a guitar and has £750 left over for a holiday.
In 2025, Person C still owns the same car, which is now 10 years old. They have amassed £15,766.40 in savings + accumulated £1000 interest, but spent £1k per year (£4k total) of that on annual holidays.
Person C sells their car for £2500 (assuming 90% depreciation), buys another 5-year-old Ford Focus (the same age as Person A's) for £8750, and then spends £1k on a holiday. This leaves £4526.40 in savings, from which they buy another £3k guitar.
Person C now has two more £3k guitars than Person A (one more than Person B), a car the same age as Person A's (two years older than Person B's), has been on 5x as many holidays as Person A (3 more than Person B) and is £2526.40 better off than Person A (£765.84 better off than Person B).

I could easily have added other factors into the mix, such as the amount spent on smart phones (e.g. a £200 handset upgraded every 5 years vs. a £1000 handset upgraded every 2 years = £2600 difference in the above timeframe), nights out, eating out, clothes, jewellery etc.
Some people naturally spend every penny they have without really thinking about it, some will fall into the trap of spending more than they have and racking up debt even if they have a huge salary, and others are naturally very careful and systematic with their finances.
Please don't mistake this for me implying that anyone could afford a £3k guitar if they were careful with their money, as I know that's really not the case. All I'm saying is you don't need to be rich (although "rich" is of course very subjective and someone living in poverty could easily perceive someone who's upper working class to be rich, even though they may earn below the national average wage).

Oh man, to be honest, it's too long to read but let me simplify it a little.

Let's say your net income is about 1300 (quite a good salary around here) and you need about 1000-1100 (to say the least) to live. I'm not even talking about going out, budgeting for holidays, or god forbid, something happens and you need cash. Isn't a 3000 guitar a luxury/rich people choice?

Now, of course, there are various stages of richness.
I mean there is a 10000 per month rich and there is Elon Musk rich, which we are talking about average situations.
I, personally, was budgeting my LP classic (1850 euros) for almost 2 years, with my and my wife's decent salaries.

Anyways, everything is about one's perspective and everyone have their opinions.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

For example:

Although I enjoyed your post, I wish those car prices applied to my country :lol:. To give you an example I recently sold my 15 year old car for 3000€ (which I bought 5 years ago for 3800€). So we're talking 800€ of depreciation in 5 years.

It was later relisted at double the price, and it sold within two weeks. So if people are paying 6000€ for 15 year old cars you can imagine how the used car market and depreciation rates look around here.

If a $3000 guitar is “rich”, Im curious to know housing prices and vehicle prices - I legitimately dont know.

Ok, here's a quick example:

Average salary here is around 1500€.
- Cars start at 20000€ (300€/month)
- Houses will vary heavily depending on location, but mortgages/rents start at 500€.
- Monthly food: around 300€/person
- Electricity/Phone/Gas whatever bills 150-200€

That leaves the average guy with 200€/month left. And I'm not counting clothing, fuel, etc, etc.

So yeah, you don't need to be rich to purchase a 3k guitar, but it's certainly a heavy investment (and my country is only halfway on the list I posted). It's pretty much impossible to live on your own unless you share an apartment or have a high position in your job.

If you're married but have no kids you can afford to go on vacations and/or purchase guitars, but if you have kids you better find a good job (or work overtime, which is what most people here do) or you're fucked up. Most people tend to have 1-2 kids tops.

So now imagine the situation when going down the list.

Last edited:

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
I have been sticking to the used market on Gibson's recently. I noticed when I was selling as of late I have had to drop prices just go get stuff out the door. Now I am in hunting mode waiting for the recession.

My best deal recently was an adam jones standard for 2300. Blacking out hardware and throwing seymour duncan jupiter set in it

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
There’s a whole bunch of people who dont go on forums who buy high end guitars brand new.

Let em.
Buying used is definitely the way to go. I also like broken in nitro finishes. A little wear makes me feel better so I don't baby them too much unless I am reselling

Latest posts