Another guitar, another swirl

• Thread starter Alcmiller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Keep it? Ditch it?

• Keep it.

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Ditch it.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alcmiller

Reaction score
The first one I did got me hooked... introducing candidate number two:

img0227s.jpg

img0229a.jpg

img0231uo.jpg

Two hours and half way into my sanding my mom decides to get home...

"Why don't you use the hand sander?"
"Stop trolling me mom, we don't have one of-"
and there she stands with it... :squint:

Saved me another hour though :hbang:

img0232zl.jpg

First primer coat, first drip paint fail

img0234yt.jpg

This girl'll be getting a nice swirl containing, but not limited to, Black and Hunter Green.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alcmiller

Reaction score
Bleh. Fail. Gonna resand and prime with black but Idk why the paint is going on so thinly or whatnot compared to other swirls. I'm using 1.5 tablespoons of borax per gallon. Any suggestions mates?

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
Cool! Even though it's a fail for what you were attempting it still looks sweet!

I've wanted to attempt one of these for a while now and never got round to it.

Please keep us updated on your problem solving!

Alcmiller

Reaction score
has a bit of a van gogh vibe....or melting mint choco chip ice cream haha. Good luck on the second pass

That analogy almost makes me want to keep it just so I can tell people that's what it is hahahaha. Thanks for the good luck wishes, I'm taking a trip this saturday for a week but I'm thinking I can get another swirl attempt in on Friday.

I'll keep yall posted.

MaxStatic

Reaction score
Dude, I dig that.

It doesn't look like all the other swirls, hence your thought of fail, but it looks fucked up...in a good way. I'd keep it, deff unique.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Bleh. Fail. Gonna resand and prime with black but Idk why the paint is going on so thinly or whatnot compared to other swirls. I'm using 1.5 tablespoons of borax per gallon. Any suggestions mates?

That shit looks dope to me... :agreed:

I like how the colors seem to change as you go from left to right... Same colors, but they distribute themselves differently as you move across the body.

Can we see the back? Can we? Can we? Can we?

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
Keep it the way it is, that looks really cool and unique like others are saying as well. If I saw a 7string for sale that looked like that I'd buy it spot on!

Alcmiller

Reaction score
As requested, the back, which is nothing special in my book, minus the brainy, veiny looking green spot on the heel.

img0256mj.jpg

and another angle of the front.

You all are mighty convincing >.< I might end up clear coating it tomorrow now and all. I could always reswirl it later if I really wanted to.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score

Dude, that green crack-like veiny thing at the heal/neck joint looks amazing! :hbang:

Edit: If I were you, I would keep it the way it is. Don't do a black-burst either... you wouldn't want to ruin the "flow" of all the swirls going around from the front to the back. Seriously this looks badass.

Alcmiller

Reaction score
Okay the pics I just posted are from last night. I went down to look at it again just now because of all the "keep it"s. Look at what I found.

Those greens dried dark! This is by far a keeper now.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
Okay the pics I just posted are from last night. I went down to look at it again just now because of all the "keep it"s. Look at what I found.

Those greens dried fackin' dark! This is by far a keeper now.

:agreed:

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
Did you follow this projectguitar.com tutorial for swirling your guitar? (Project Guitar :: Swirling a Guitar Body)

I'm thinking about doing this to my 7620, but I'm not sure which kind of paints to use. It says "oil paint" but I'm not sure if there's a specific brand that's better than another.

I'm also worried about water or moisture getting into the wood and causing it to swell or crack.