To those that have moved on from a Tube amp to a SS/modeling rig.

• Thread starter NCASO96
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I've run the FM9 through my 2002 Mesa 4x12 with power from either the PS700 or the 50w EVH stealth. Great either way but I swear there is something extra special when running through the EVH 50w power sections.

Man, just last night I put my FM9 into the Return of my Electra Dyne head and immediately paused my thoughts on buying a JPIIC+. I used the Duncan 170 for almost 2 years with the FM9 into a cab, but going through a tube power section put some serious pause in my step.

I really think I might just grab a 2:90 and call it a day. I’ve been on an amp kick for the last 4 months after a 5 year break, but after that experience I might just go back in my modeler hole.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I honestly really like the FM3-into-tube-power setup because it sounds great that way, but it kinda negated what I liked about digital setups. My amp model is usually the same as the amp I actually have, so you have a model of a preamp being used to bypass the thing it's modelling, just to have to carry the real thing AND the model around at the same time. It sounded good, it had a lot of added versatility over the original amp on its own, but it weighs a ton to carry both around, and obviously doesn't fit in a backpack or anything.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly really like the FM3-into-tube-power setup because it sounds great that way, but it kinda negated what I liked about digital setups. My amp model is usually the same as the amp I actually have, so you have a model of a preamp being used to bypass the thing it's modelling, just to have to carry the real thing AND the model around at the same time. It sounded good, it had a lot of added versatility over the original amp on its own, but it weighs a ton to carry both around, and obviously doesn't fit in a backpack or anything.
The first time I saw a FM3 in person I thought it was freaking huge. For a floor-based solution with only 3 switches it is indeed massive.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
For what it's worth I love my Powerstage, I just don't think it's a good partner with a triple rec, and think I'll have to be pulling out the 5150 which I think will still be eaten alive.

Shask

Reaction score
Man, just last night I put my FM9 into the Return of my Electra Dyne head and immediately paused my thoughts on buying a JPIIC+. I used the Duncan 170 for almost 2 years with the FM9 into a cab, but going through a tube power section put some serious pause in my step.

I really think I might just grab a 2:90 and call it a day. I’ve been on an amp kick for the last 4 months after a 5 year break, but after that experience I might just go back in my modeler hole.
I really noticed the last few weeks that the FM3 with the new FW 8 Beta into my KT88 Power amp sounds AND FEELS very close to my actual tube gear running into the same power amp. I know people say you shouldn't run power amp modeling into a tube power amp, but it just works. It is very dynamic and punchy.

I never get that same kind of depth using a SS amp like a Matrix GT1000fx, or Studio Monitors.

I think people really underestimate the importance of the power section.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I know people say you shouldn't run power amp modeling into a tube power amp, but it just works. It is very dynamic and punchy.

I never get that same kind of depth using a SS amp like a Matrix GT1000fx, or Studio Monitors.

I agree. It might depend on the power section you're using but some tube power sections do seems to work quite well with power amp modeling on.

Shask

Reaction score
I agree. It might depend on the power section you're using but some tube power sections do seems to work quite well with power amp modeling on.
I know you like the 5153 50w power section, and I have tried that also. It works well with that amp. It has a good power amp, but it doesn't sound as big as my bigger amps. My SLO Modded JCA100HDM sounds really good with it also. Kind of like a bigger 5150 power section. Funny enough, my Triple Recto didn't sound as good without massive tweaking. It has a super bright and harsh power amp. My 200w KT88 power amp sounds the biggest, and has the most neutral frequency response. I modded it with a depth control, so it can bring the boom.

Usually on the FM3, you just need to lower the low resonance, and the high resonance on the speaker page. That helps level it out and not get too hyped sounding.

LCW

Reaction score
Are there some tube power amps that are known to be more neutral or flat? Plus I assume anything 100W or more would have ample headroom.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
So, you go from a compact modeling rig to one of the biggest amps.... lol.

Oh I plan on it don't worry <3 it's not going anywhere, just probably not gonna be used with this band.

Shhhhhhhhhhh. Shush your mouth.
heavy gear=heavy toan. no shortcuts. do your pilates, praise satan, and crank that master volume.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I really noticed the last few weeks that the FM3 with the new FW 8 Beta into my KT88 Power amp sounds AND FEELS very close to my actual tube gear running into the same power amp. I know people say you shouldn't run power amp modeling into a tube power amp, but it just works. It is very dynamic and punchy.

I actually bounced back and forth with the Power Amp Modeling on/off, I can see where some amps it’d probably be a benefit to turn it off, but removing Fletcher Munson and the volume drop from turning it off, everything sounded much better with the PA modeling on.

I did notice the Mesa’s tend to build up low end really fast that requires some non-standard EQ settings, but it’s so fucking worth it.

trem licking

Reaction score
if the powerstage is enough to keep up with a drummer on its own, the rectifier player could, you know, turn down? gasp, i know... but it is an option