Any Bass VI owners?

• Thread starter stinkoman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stinkoman

Reaction score
I've recently picked up a Squire bass VI and fallen in love with it. I've been thinking about getting a Fender version now or schecter and wondering of any other makers I should look out for? I haven't played bass much the last 5 years due to some physical issues i've been having with my hands due to the scale length and also just boredom of playing bass for the last 20 years and this has made me enjoyed playing bass again, along with all the other things I couldn't do before musically.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
There are makers in the custom build field if you're talking about expensive stuff - for example Dunable.
Absolutely love bass VIs.
Good choice on the Squire. I had the HSS Fender Pawnshop reissue which was very nice. I have also owned the Schecter Ultra VI with three minihumbuckers. Given the materials, constructions, and pickup differences, I used to say they were like the Strat and Les Paul of VIs, that pair. Nice contrast. Not sure what the more Fender-like Schecter VI with singlecoils is like.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Bass VIs can be a lot of fun. I had a schecter hellcat VI with duncan minibuckers that was a ton of fun to play and did a pretty good job of bridging the shortscale bass/longscale guitar divide soundwise. Those are fantastic guitars if you can manage to track one down. The single coil version is way more common though.
Ibanez makes the SRC6 which is basically a bass 6 and those are cool as well, but the pickups are kind of meh imo. Still a lot of fun to play if you can manage to track one down.

I hated the squier jazzmaster VI that I tried, pickups sounded like hot garbage and the overall fit/finish was subpar for the price, plus the jazzmaster trem is quite possibly the worst trem design since the kahler.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
The SRC6 will be closer to a bass, whereas the more traditional Bass VIs with the "strangle" switch are fun for more baritone guitar-y things. I ended up with a Ultra VI, which is a well-built instrument and it sounds pretty good.

stinkoman

Reaction score
Hi, Will have to checkout the hellcats and the ultra. I like the mentioned comparison between strats and les pauls. I found a Pawn bass VI for $700 but sold before I decided I wanted it.