Any Bill Burr fans?

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Bill Burr's one of my favorites. His appearances on Conan are endlessly rewatchable, especially the one where he talks about Oprah Winfrey and Lance Armstrong.

I like that he is this angry blue collar-seeming asshole that has HUGE problems with misogyny, especially in his early material, but it's so funny that it doesn't bug me. But, then blue collar idiots always assume he's some kind of conservative comic, and that really couldn't be much further from the truth. I love that he's married to a very, very forceful black woman (it makes a lot of sense, I can't think of many personality types that could handle his anger issues). The podcast he has is really funny when she comes on it - they often seem like they're on the verge of getting in a yelling match, but you get why the relationship has worked, too.

I like that he infuriates both liberals and conservatives. He is definitely one of those guys that absolutely hates the sensitivity carelord movement and how it causes people to react, he's constantly acting like one of those old school guys that makes fun of things as being "gay" or whatever, but at the same time he's also very staunchly fiscally liberal and just instantly shoots down morons like Bill Maher that try and get him to agree with their stupid points (usually revolving around crying about WOKENESS and trying to get him to agree or whatever). He's my favorite kind of guy, which is the kind you can tell actually thinks for himself instead of parroting the party line. So many guys I like a lot will devolve into idiocy to reconcile with the party line on something or another that's just dumb. Burr says stupid things occasionally, but you never feel like he's talking from some "us vs them" political mentality, he considers each issue individually. And he's usually hilarious about it.

Plus he loves Meshuggah! I really liked his description of Meshuggah from a non-musician standpoint. I think he was trying to describe the 4/4 pulse against the other rhythms as being some kind of schizophrenic that's hearing voices in their head, or something. It's a good description, I haven't heard it in years so I don't remember exactly what he said.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Burr is a god amongst men.

His 'F' is for Family show is absolutely hysterical, and you can tell from his comedy routines that a TON of that cartoon came from his actual childhood. His dad seems like he would be hard to grow up with, but a lot of us can relate.

He had some special where he was talking about a female comic that slammed him in the nuts backstage somewhere, then gets going on a rant about what would happen if a guy decided to just start punting gals in the cooch. I wish I could remember the details, but it was one of the funniest genitalia rants I've ever heard.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Bill fan but I do like his stuff. I like his angry ass intensity lol

This was fucking hilarious, Adam Ray is so fucking good.

Last edited:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
The only time I utilize my New England accent instead of burying it down is when I’ve had a couple drinks too many and start doing the Bill Burr voice.

Love the dude and have for a while, very hard to disagree with much of what he says on his podcast or in general.

Watching F is for Family was like watching family home videos. :lol:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Also, if you’re a fan and haven’t heard the infamous Philly rant, it’s worth it!!!

The backstory is there was some comedy festival where the audience was being shitheads the whole time, heckling and booing the comedians. Bill was just getting more fed up backstage hearing it all and decided to unload on the audience instead of giving them a comedy show, while counting down his remaining set time.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Calling Jimi Hendrix "that drug addict who butchered the national anthem" is probably my favorite Burr quote, and from F is for Family.

wankerness

Reaction score
Also, if you’re a fan and haven’t heard the infamous Philly rant, it’s worth it!!!

The backstory is there was some comedy festival where the audience was being shitheads the whole time, heckling and booing the comedians. Bill was just getting more fed up backstage hearing it all and decided to unload on the audience instead of giving them a comedy show, while counting down his remaining set time.

Yeah, that's a classic. I love how the audience starts cheering. The stuff about Rocky is the best.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I like him and think some of his stuff is absolutely hysterical, and I do love how riled up he gets about certain subjects, but I also turned off his last 2 specials on Netflix when he starts ragging on women and being a misogynist so I'm a little conflicted. It just feels like punching down and I find it exhausting. That being said I do love how often he dunks on shit heads and calls people out for them saying dumb shit.

Edika

Reaction score
I liked some of his older specials a lot but I feel he's become a a bit stale.He's too much in the persona of the angry somewhat ignorant white man (like his character on F is for Family), hankering for the days of the past. My problem with that is that he seems to be doing that also on his pocasts quite a bit and it's not clear if it's a character, a caricature of this type of individual, or if he's legitimately like that. It kind of gets old when he spouts some really ignorant stuff and then goes "but what do I know, I'm a dumb guy". Plus he seems to be getting deliberately more controversial, like some standup comedians, to get more reactions instead for going for his older more witty stuff. But some times he's on fire with the roasting and come backs in interviews. So I'm a bit conflicted on his comedy.

wankerness

Reaction score
I liked some of his older specials a lot but I feel he's become a a bit stale.He's too much in the persona of the angry somewhat ignorant white man (like his character on F is for Family), hankering for the days of the past. My problem with that is that he seems to be doing that also on his pocasts quite a bit and it's not clear if it's a character, a caricature of this type of individual, or if he's legitimately like that. It kind of gets old when he spouts some really ignorant stuff and then goes "but what do I know, I'm a dumb guy". Plus he seems to be getting deliberately more controversial, like some standup comedians, to get more reactions instead for going for his older more witty stuff. But some times he's on fire with the roasting and come backs in interviews. So I'm a bit conflicted on his comedy.
Are you watching his standup in reverse order? I haven't watched every special but my reaction is the early stuff is way angrier and way more just complaining about women while he definitely mellowed out a lot after having a kid. Also after Donald Trump won the election he's been pretty vocally liberal about stuff. Unless you're saying that being liberal is being controversial.

The thing with the misogyny is that sometimes it was hilarious. It varied wildly on the material. That one early special of his with the bit about punching the muffin tops is still probably my favorite of his. I feel like applying the "punching down" rule to comedy removes a ton of the funniest comedy in favor of the bland "please applaud" stuff that seems to be the only thing acceptable to most people that make a big deal about that term.

Edika

Reaction score
Are you watching his standup in reverse order? I haven't watched every special but my reaction is the early stuff is way angrier and way more just complaining about women while he definitely mellowed out a lot after having a kid. Also after Donald Trump won the election he's been pretty vocally liberal about stuff. Unless you're saying that being liberal is being controversial.

The thing with the misogyny is that sometimes it was hilarious. It varied wildly on the material. That one early special of his with the bit about punching the muffin tops is still probably my favorite of his. I feel like applying the "punching down" rule to comedy removes a ton of the funniest comedy in favor of the bland "please applaud" stuff that seems to be the only thing acceptable to most people that make a big deal about that term.
I haven't watched his latest specials and haven't followed much of his stuff lately, I'm not going to lie. I was listening to some of his podcasts two three years back and that got old really fast.

Some of the skits with women in the past where extreme and it was obvious he was trying to get a reaction. He was balancing things out at his routine trying to not go overboard and generalise too much by the end of the jokes, while making the audience feel that way. It just got old after a while for myself.

On the other hand, the punching down comedy, I'm sorry but I don't find it really funny. It works on biases and unfortunately reinforces them to the minds on some people and makes it acceptable to the minds of others. I'm not saying the comedian should make a speech like doing a Ted Talk. But picking easy targets and reinforcing stereotypes is a big no for myself. I'm not offended by that type of comedy but just find it lazy and distasteful.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Comedy that isn't in some way controversial won't be very funny. It's even funnier when you find controversial things that are logical or innate, or you get to something which is illogically controversial from a logical or innate starting point.

For instance, "G'day, cunt" is a lot funnier than "Good morning". Especially if you're actually sympathetic or well acquainted with the person. It underlines something reasonably wholesome and natural with absurdity. You can also use logical means to arrive at something absurd, such as MacDonald's dog house joke. All of them "ain't right", but are funny.

Used to be political comedy was open season for everyone. It wasn't my guy vs your guy bullshit, it was just a general mockery of the asinine stuff the government got up to. Now you can't make fun of anything without people only concentrating on what tribal allegiance you are or are not broadcasting, and then they see all of your material through that stupid lens. It's comedy not a flag burning, folks need to calm down these days. Traditionally things of taboo were the bread and butter of comedians, and it was meant to be a refreshing abstract critique of colloquial narratives, but I guess politics is the new religion. Carlin would not be happy.

Doghouse joke for context: