Any Brits here?

• Thread starter hairychris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score

The pretty incredible (regardless of what political "team" you support) Jess Phillips MP being fucking brilliant during the Rwanda debate
“What political capital walking around for a third bill for something that won’t work. 150 judges can be found under the sofa by the PM when cases of rape victims wait 7 years to get in front of a judge.”

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

The pretty incredible (regardless of what political "team" you support) Jess Phillips MP being fucking brilliant during the Rwanda debate
“What political capital walking around for a third bill for something that won’t work. 150 judges can be found under the sofa by the PM when cases of rape victims wait 7 years to get in front of a judge.”

Exactly

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Very rare I agree with Nick Ferrari of LBC but he really does have a point about the fawning sycophantic coverage yesterday & today & prob for the next few days too on the tabloid front pages and on the usual day time tv dross of Kate and Charles going in to hospital in the same week for operations. Surely a 2 yr old starving to death over Xmas is more important, or the Post Office IT inquiry or the Israel Gaza war, the NHS, the Strikes in NI or anything else is more important than this.
Obviously I hope they recover but headlines like lets pray they are OK....... FFS, doff cap tug forelock remember, know your place plebs

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very rare I agree with Nick Ferrari of LBC but he really does have a point about the fawning sycophantic coverage yesterday & today & prob for the next few days too on the tabloid front pages and on the usual day time tv dross of Kate and Charles going in to hospital in the same week for operations. Surely a 2 yr old starving to death over Xmas is more important, or the Post Office IT inquiry or the Israel Gaza war, the NHS, the Strikes in NI or anything else is more important than this.
Obviously I hope they recover but headlines like lets pray they are OK....... FFS, doff cap tug forelock remember, know your place plebs

Personally I think we are way overdue a Scandinavian style monarchy ... cut out the hangers on ... and allow em to abdicate for retirement.
Yep even though I'm a leftie through and through ... I still think a vague constitutional monarchy is better than a Presidential system ... Trump anyone? What we need more is an overhaul in the way our press is owned and managed.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Personally I think we are way overdue a Scandinavian style monarchy ... cut out the hangers on ... and allow em to abdicate for retirement.
Yep even though I'm a leftie through and through ... I still think a vague constitutional monarchy is better than a Presidential system ... Trump anyone? What we need more is an overhaul in the way our press is owned and managed.
In a country where facts and truth matter, someone like Trump, or someone like Boris Johnson, wouldn't be viable on the political scene. Unfortunately, we live in countries where the person with the loudest, most obnoxious fantasy is deemed the most credible by a large enough segment of society to wash sanity away.

I pray we're not dumb enough to do it a second time over this side the pond, but it's sounding scarily possible. Sigh.

And yeah, our press is terrible at reporting. In fact, you have to dig HARD to find an actual report that isn't jam-packed with vitriolic opinions hacked together to stoke outrage. I miss the days of turning on the news and getting a long, boring list of things that happened that day, sometimes punctuated by tragedy. Now it's babbling morons screaming about nothing 24/7. Not sure who enjoys that, but apparently enough people do to keep the advertising dollars flowing.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Oh my goodness finally an executive
Sinn Fein has said a united Ireland is now “within touching distance”....

Also this is worrying but also obvious the Tory's are gonna play some dirty tricks to try to salvage the next election from complete obliteration

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
This interview with the BBC is the chef's kiss of the Tories...

BBC Hilarity
I think I'm more shocked that a Sky news (Murdoch) presenter would actually be fighting the BBC's case. Literally the first time I've ever seen that happen. I guess Anti-Government sentiment is connecting with viewers more than Anti-BBC sentiment in the run up to the election.

The government continually uses public perception to beat the BBC, case in point the cancellation of free TV Licences for over 75's. It was the Government who stopped the funding for that, despite it having been an election pledge, and left the BBC with a large funding shortfall which they could plug themselves and hugely impact the services they could offer or cancel it and receive public rage.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
So the blanket news is that an old man has cancer.... obviously that's terrible that the king has cancer I wouldn't wish that on anyone and I hope he recovers well.
Can't be bothered to go in to what it's like for us plebs right now with NHS waiting lists and GP appointments etc..... but what seems to be most important in this situation on TV and radio though is Harry and what he does and the chance of reconciliation, tho the usual ghouls are saying how horrible Megan is in this for keeping the king from his grandchildren and Harry and Megan are making this all about themselves because Harry released a statement to say he would be returning to the UK immediately... Its pathetic

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So the blanket news is that an old man has cancer.... obviously that's terrible that the king has cancer I wouldn't wish that on anyone and I hope he recovers well.
Can't be bothered to go in to what it's like for us plebs right now with NHS waiting lists and GP appointments etc..... but what seems to be most important in this situation on TV and radio though is Harry and what he does and the chance of reconciliation, tho the usual ghouls are saying how horrible Megan is in this for keeping the king from his grandchildren and Harry and Megan are making this all about themselves because Harry released a statement to say he would be returning to the UK immediately... Its pathetic
This man has spent decades redirecting NHS funds to quackery like homeopathy.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
This man has spent decades redirecting NHS funds to quackery like homeopathy.
Sure there will be none of that bs in treating his cancer. Disgusting the pressure he put on government to have that funded by the NHS.

In other looney news, another tory group has announced itself today! Welcome The Popular Conservatives! Lead by Liz Truss, Lee Anderson and Jacob Rees Mogg. All the problems in this country are apparently Blairs fault for binding government under the equality and human rights act, plus quangos and unelected people ohh and trans and ethnic minority supporters who are left wing extremists

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Sure there will be none of that bs in treating his cancer. Disgusting the pressure he put on government to have that funded by the NHS.

In other looney news, another tory group has announced itself today! Welcome The Popular Conservatives! Lead by Liz Truss, Lee Anderson and Jacob Rees Mogg. All the problems in this country are apparently Blairs fault for binding government under the equality and human rights act, plus quangos and unelected people ohh and trans and ethnic minority supporters who are left wing extremists

What a delightfully tongue in cheek name

nightflameauto

Reaction score

It's nice to see that our version of fairy tale storytellers as politicians has made its way back to the motherland. And by "nice" I of course mean horrifying.

I feel for ya, man. What a weird world we ended up living on.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Starmer condemns Sunak over trans rights jibe during PMQs while Brianna Ghey’s mother was present

I dunno whether Sunak is fcuking stupid or just doesn't give a fuck, but fair play for Starmer on immediately calling him out on it. he was even given the chance to apologise later in PMQ's by a Labour MP but ignored the question, and then had the front at the end of PMQ's to praise Esther Ghey!
....she represented “the very best of humanity in the face of seeing the very worst of humanity, and she deserves all our admiration and praise”
Obviously No10 have defended Sunak and refused to apologise

Louis Cypher

Reaction score

As always it takes a comedian to show the rest of the so called media in the UK how to properly report on the state of the country

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
British people, heed my call. Explain to an American that does not understand House procedures what the debacle involving the Speaker is all about.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
British people, heed my call. Explain to an American that does not understand House procedures what the debacle involving the Speaker is all about.
No one here really understands it.

I think the problem was that the Speaker chose to vote on a Labour amendment instead of an SNP vote when it was SNP's turn.

SNP were voting for a ceasefire. Labour's amendment was a ceasefire but on the condition that the hostages be returned (stuff that was already in the Hamas proposition, but asking for a ceasefire looks like being pro Hamas in this islamaphobic country).

The current speaker is a Labour MP, despite there being a Tory government. Some people think he chose Labour's amendment in an attempt to secure his job as Speaker under the eventual Labour government after the election. Some people think Starmer threatened him to pick theirs.

The reasoning being that Labour wanted their MPs to vote however they wanted, but not for an SNP proposal. The reason they don't want to vote with the SNP is that there is a Tory belief that Labour is just a sock puppet for the SNP and secretly wants to destroy the United Kingdom by creating an independent Scotland.

The Tories walked out because "house traditions", but don't actually care and are just fabricating a scandal. There's been a sentiment going round along the lines of "if this is Labour in opposition, think what they'll be like in power" among Tories.

Meanwhile SNP are angry because it was their turn and it was hijacked.