Any fans of heavy music in Atlanta that want to write/jam remotely or in person?

jsl2h90

Reaction score
I want to get together with other musicians (I play guitar) and start writing. I've been playing for 18 years and use Reaper/EZD3/Nuclear Bass to demo ideas but I've been wanting to bounce ideas off of other like-minded people. I'll list some records/bands that have had major impact on me, mostly my favorite era of bands and albums I like in no particular order. It's not all metal, it'd be interesting to mash up different influences without it getting wacky and disjointed.

Cynic - Focus
Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Jaga Jazzist - What we Must
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (also a huge fan of this mix by Jens Bogren)
HLB - Valde (the heaviest record since Iowa imo)
Slipknot - '99-2002, then they started sucking. To me, IOWA is the heaviest (metal) record ever.
Korn - First album still bangs and was unlike anything else before or since
Deftones - Koi No Yokan/Around the Fur/White Pony
Yawning Man - the early stuff (best live show I've ever seen)
Meshuggah - Catch 33/DEI
Death - Human/ITP
Cynic - Focus
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Conan - Evidence of Immortality
Fates Warning - No Exit
Autolux - Future Perfect (reminds me a lot of Elliott Smith who I also love)
Morphine - Cure for Pain
Genesis - Trick of the Tail
Tidals - Spotlights
Slowdive
Karnivool - I like most everything, first record was underrated
The Contortionist - Intrinsic (they never topped this one for me)
Big Jesus - One (2013) locals here in ATL

I'm in Lawrenceville, OTP. Been playing 18 years, and I mostly just teach guitar because I've found it difficult to find people who listen to the same stuff. For whatever reason metal musicians I meet seem to want to be the next Ghost or Tool, or only listen to stuff that's just technical for no reason... or they're extremely elitist about what they like (if it ain't bebop....) so I can never find that sweet spot of cool people that just want to experiment and create together. Feel free to respond or DM, I'm open to any comers.

Youtube:
I don't post much anymore but just proof that I exist, and actually play guitar:

Cheers from Atlanta,
Kylan

Last edited:

McFee2V1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I want to get together with other musicians (I play guitar) and start writing. I've been playing for 18 years and use Reaper/EZD3/Nuclear Bass to demo ideas but I've been wanting to bounce ideas off of other like-minded people. I'll list some records/bands that have had major impact on me, mostly my favorite era of bands and albums I like in no particular order. It's not all metal, it'd be interesting to mash up different influences without it getting wacky and disjointed.

Cynic - Focus
Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Jaga Jazzist - What we Must
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (also a huge fan of this mix by Jens Bogren)
HLB - Valde (the heaviest record since Iowa imo)
Slipknot - '99-2002, then they started sucking. To me, IOWA is the heaviest (metal) record ever.
Korn - First album still bangs and was unlike anything else before or since
Deftones - Koi No Yokan/Around the Fur/White Pony
Yawning Man - the early stuff (best live show I've ever seen)
Meshuggah - Catch 33/DEI
Death - Human/ITP
Cynic - Focus
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Conan - Evidence of Immortality
Fates Warning - No Exit
Autolux - Future Perfect (reminds me a lot of Elliott Smith who I also love)
Morphine - Cure for Pain
Genesis - Trick of the Tail
Tidals - Spotlights
Slowdive
Karnivool - I like most everything, first record was underrated
The Contortionist - Intrinsic (they never topped this one for me)
Big Jesus - One (2013) locals here in ATL

I'm in Lawrenceville, OTP. Been playing 18 years, and I mostly just teach guitar because I've found it difficult to find people who listen to the same stuff. For whatever reason metal musicians I meet seem to want to be the next Ghost or Tool, or only listen to stuff that's just technical for no reason... or they're extremely elitist about what they like (if it ain't bebop....) so I can never find that sweet spot of cool people that just want to experiment and create together. Feel free to respond or DM, I'm open to any comers.

Youtube:
I don't post much anymore but just proof that I exist, and actually play guitar:

Cheers from Atlanta,
Kylan

Hi Kylan,
I'm new on here and just saw your post. Were you able to find anyone? Did anyone respond to you? I listen to much of the same artists you listed and am running into the same experience it seems trying to find metal musicians. I'm not in Atlanta however. I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico. If you are still looking for musicians, maybe we could chat and see what comes of it.

I've been playing for over 20 years and have recently gone back to school studying music composition and guitar. Here are some of my influences that I could think of in one sitting, of course it goes much deeper. I didn't list my classic and prog rock influences as well.

• Dream Theater (When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words, Awake)
  • Fates Warning (Parallels, Inside Out)
  • Queensryche ( The Warning, Rage for Order, Operation: Mindcrime, Empire)
  • Cynic
  • Death
  • Resurrection
  • Disincarnate
  • Obituary
  • Evergrey
  • Anubis Gate
  • Pagan’s Mind
  • Vanden Plas
  • Earthside
  • Redemption
  • Whitechapel
  • Thy Art is Murder
  • Allan Holdsworth
  • Pat Metheny
  • Michael Hedges
  • Miles Davis (Kind of Blue)
  • Katatonia
  • Riverside
  • Winger
  • Al Di Meola
  • Symphony X
  • Michael Romeo (War of the Worlds Part II)
  • Carcass
  • Silent Force
  • Depeche Mode
  • DevilDriver
  • Testament
  • Dimmu Borgir
  • Faithless
  • Sybreed
  • Tesseract
  • Fear Factory (Soul of A New Machine, Demanufacture)
  • Heaven Shall Burn
  • Giant
  • Kamelot (Karma, The Black Halo, Ghost Opera, Poetry for the Poisoned)
  • Lamb of God (Ashes of the Wake)
  • MasterPlan (Masterplan, Aeronautics)
  • Mercenary
  • Meshuggah
Anyway, maybe talk to you soon,
Scott

Dwayne223

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a vocalist but can only do online collabs for the moment, are you interested in that or only in person?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.