Any real reason to replace my Seymour Duncan JB 59 set for something different

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
So I have a G&L Legacy H-H model with a JB 59 set in it, and they sound pretty nice but I'm not totally sold on them yet. I've got a little cash in my "music stuff" fund and was thinking about trying new pups, but is it really worth it??? I play mostly Blues and rock stuff with it right now and I'm not sure what else I would go with? I'm interested in BKP (who isn't) but I don't want to spend more than 120 bucks on pups ATM so I could really only afford to replace the bridge if I go that route. . . I guess my question is if I change pickups to something in my price range will the end result justify the cost considering I already have decent pups???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends. What don't you like about the sound you are getting with the JB/'59 combo?

Bare Knuckles are nice pickups, but they are no better than a set of DiMarzio's or Seymour Duncan's. They're all good, just different flavors. I don't think there is really any sound where only Bare Knuckles will do, so I think you can definitely find a set of SD or DiMarzio in your price range that would be "worth it" to swap.

ihunda

Reaction score
I can see swapping the JB for something with less piercing mids and different overall dynamics and character but the 59 is close to perfection already, especially if you have it setup for splitting, ultimate versatile pickup.

stevexc

Reaction score
Man, if it doesn't work for you, change it up. The Seymour Duncan Custom/Custom Custom/Custom 5 is a fantastic pickup series, extremely versatile. Plus JBs are fairly easy to sell, so it won't be too expensive either.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I am also curious about what you don't like about the JB59s. I would say if you are swapping pickups, it is a really good idea you know what you want. For instance, I knew my one SG was way too dark and the bass was way way to muddy and overbearing, so I put in BKP Mississippi Queens. In other guitars, where I didn't have as much a clue as to what I wanted, I've been disappointed when I swapped pups because the sound was different, but still not what I wanted. So, I don't think it will be worth it unless you are sure on what you are looking for and you get the right replacement pups for whatever your desire may be.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Only pickup I can compare directly to the JB is the SD sh5 'Duncan Custom,' which I much prefer over the JB.

I found the JB got muddy quite easily, and wasn't that clear, despite the bright/harsh top end and upper midrange. It was also pretty high output (bordering on too high for me). In comparison the Sh5 'Duncan Custom' is lower output, clearer, brighter (yet less harsh and 'smoother' sounding) and overall much better for what I wanted (mostly metal).

This was the seven string version in an all mahogany guitar with a maple top.

All that being said, if you're happy with the JB, don't bother replacing it. I wouldn't say it was a night-and-day difference, it's all in the nuances. If you just want to experiment, go for it.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
I would think the JB,59 should be great for blues/rock stuff.
Maybe find something else to spend the extra cash on.
Seems like I'm always in need of cables for one thing or another but hate spending money on them. Maybe this would be a good opportunity for you to make some of those necessary evil, non-sexy purchases.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Buy a push pull pot and try splitting to see if it gives you the additional versatility you're looking for first. Much cheaper and if it still doesn't sound how you want, you're only out $15 or so. Pay close attention to the frequencies you don't like so you can make a better decision on what should replace it.
As an aside, have you messed with string size at all? All my guitars sounded a bit thin, too much treble, etc. I swapped my 10-52 set to 12-54 after many variations in between and it warmed up tremendously. This is for d standard and drop c, but just goes to show its not always just pickups. Everything plays a role. I have guitars with 59's, custom 5, BKP Aftermaths, Evo 2/Evo, EMG 81-60, and on and on. For me, all sounded much better with and increase in string gauge.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've heard good things about a Jazz bridge/neck set, fwiw. I'd also look into the Custom/Custom 5/Custom Custom for the bridge position :yesway: probably my favorite Duncan offering.

For the neck, you could likely find a trade to get a Jazz for your '59 or find one used for cheap.

Reaction score
The JB seems like it was really designed for alder with a 250k pot in an HSS config. The mid bump can be a little overwhelming with a 500k pot or in darker woods. It's always best to experiment yourself and figure out what works for you.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I personally really like the Custom Custom for Blues and Rock in that kind of setup.

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
You can always get a replacement pickup set, but think about it. Is it worth the investment? The BKP set is pretty expensive and I can not see any reason to upgrade mine 59/jb. If I had extra money to experiment and buy every set and install it - then yes why not. Otherwise I see no reason to. The JB/59 set sounds awesome, is very versatile and easily achieve amazing tone for almost any heavy genre. imho

Kobalt

Reaction score
I'm interested in BKP (who isn't)
I'm not. :lol:

I find their popularity to be based more so on novelty and their (admittedly) rad covers than being entirely superior to other manufacturers. To each his own, though. For one BKP, I can buy two SDs and be completely satisfied - it's all about what you want.

The '59 is my favorite neck pickup, bar none, honestly wouldn't recommend anything else. The JB, well, it's run of the mill, proven, and a good starting point to know in which direction you want to move... The question at this point is what don't you like about it?

It's kind of vague, when you put it like that... What are you looking for, exactly? :)

Rawkmann

Reaction score
I'd see no reason to switch unless You just feel like getting something different just for the sake of it.