Anybody know of any passive rail/soapbar pickups that are 5" wide?

• Thread starter asopala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asopala

Reaction score
I have a semi-custom fanned 8 string I got years ago that I realized I stopped playing, and I figured out one of the reasons why: I can't stand the pickups.

Right now it's installed with Lace X-Bars, and the reason why is because of the fan on it being 3.5 inches--it has a high A string at 22.5" to a low B at 26" over 8 strings, and the neutral fret is the 12th. The bridge pickup is a 9-string pickup because it actually needs a pickup that long. The guitar itself has a pickguard and is exclusively top-routed, by the way, so it's not like I could install one of those Fishman battery packs into a backplate or anything (and I'd have my apprehensions about doing that anyway because microUSB breaks so easily, especially compared to USBC). I'm also not in the mood to get a battery box installed in the back. So what it looks like is I need to find some passive rail pickups or soapbars, but the obvious issue is that the 9 string soapbars that are readily available are all active (Fishman, EMG), and I can't seem to find 9 string rail pickups.

Anybody have any leads? I really hope Lace isn't the only option.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or the 4.5. Can't remember which one fits.

I thought BKP did, unless it was a special edition for the RG90BKPISH from years ago.

asopala

Reaction score

Or the 4.5. Can't remember which one fits.

I thought BKP did, unless it was a special edition for the RG90BKPISH from years ago.
Right now I have a 4.5 X-bar (I think), and ideally I'd like to get away from Lace.

This is looking like the way to go. Not sure if it will be a drop-in replacement for the Lace (because the Lace uses 4 screws as opposed to the two on this), but I've had good experiences with Lundgren in general. Now to see if any dealers in the USA have it... if not, I'll deal with the shipping.

asopala

Reaction score
Oops, I did some measurements, and I found out something:

The NECK pickup is actually 9 strings (4.5") wide. The bridge is 5" wide, like for 10 strings! The M9 is 4.5", so that's gonna be a problem. I don't know if anyone besides Lace makes really anything that wide, which, well, isn't fun.

Any leads for THAT?

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oops, I did some measurements, and I found out something:

The NECK pickup is actually 9 strings (4.5") wide. The bridge is 5" wide, like for 10 strings! The M9 is 4.5", so that's gonna be a problem. I don't know if anyone besides Lace makes really anything that wide, which, well, isn't fun.

Any leads for THAT?
I would contact lundgren directly and ask if they can make a custom m9 bridge for this. Johan is really nice and has customized pickups for me for no extra cost. I’m sure he can come up with a solution for you.

asopala

Reaction score
I would contact lundgren directly and ask if they can make a custom m9 bridge for this. Johan is really nice and has customized pickups for me for no extra cost. I’m sure he can come up with a solution for you.
That's great to know! I just shot him an email, guess I'll see what he says.

asopala

Reaction score
Well, I contacted him, and it's no good, unfortunately. The widest covers are 4.5", and on my particular guitar they wouldn't be able to make it work with the offset coils. Guitar has a pickguard is part of the problem.

asopala

Reaction score
At this point I'm thinking I might have to go custom pickups. Anybody know of anybody who could make something that could work? At this point, cost isn't too much of a factor, but I still want to shop around to see who's good and who's at least somewhat reasonable.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, I contacted him, and it's no good, unfortunately. The widest covers are 4.5", and on my particular guitar they wouldn't be able to make it work with the offset coils. Guitar has a pickguard is part of the problem.
aww thats unfortunate. I dont have any other tips unfortunately outside of finding a company that can do custom pickups.

luca9583

Reaction score
At this point I'm thinking I might have to go custom pickups. Anybody know of anybody who could make something that could work? At this point, cost isn't too much of a factor, but I still want to shop around to see who's good and who's at least somewhat reasonable.

I had your exact same problem on an Agile 72730 that also requires a 5" Lace X Bar to cover all strings at the ideal angle (which required extra routing due to the stock pickup angle being way off from the bridge on the lowest strings as usual).

I emailed all the custom builders out there and none of them were able to help.

Have a look at the custom 10 string pickup on Zhangbucker's website. He's currently making me a custom angled pickup with pole pieces for the Agile so send him an email.

I find the X Bar is good for higher strings and regular guitar tunings, but Drop E and lower sounds like it lacks attack. The Deathbar has more gain but is pretty muddy, so custom is the only option as nobody else makes 10" long blade guitar pickups.

luca9583

Reaction score
Pretty annoying because if BKP and Lundgren etc could just make open blade pickups up to 10" long (or longer for 9 strings wirh wide fans), a lot of multiscale guitars out there could be made with much better bridge pickup placement.

Latest posts