Anybody running a SYN1 for high gain desktop recording? Would you recommend a SLO or Uberschall module?

neurosis

Reaction score
I am really close to pulling the trigger on one these units. I was looking into a high gain tube option for playing and recording at home. I have a mark V25 that I use a lot and combine with digital stuff in the box but was curious about a thicker sounding, more saturated option. Doing some research I've landed on this small synergy rig which is appealing because of the ability to swap out modules if needed. This thing looks almost specifically made for what I want: small, portable and tube preamp. Kind of like an ENGL 350 or a JMP1 but modular.

I have heard the SLO module live and some recordings with 7 strings sound really good. It has a grinding vibe to it that I love. With enough bass but also kinda tight. Then a friend told me they make the Uberschall. This has been an amp I always loved. I had a friend who used one live but after having and selling a Fireball for a while I realized big heads make no sense for my use case. The fact that this preamp exists and that it sounds as good as it does in demos has me really interested in it.

Slo seems like it could also fake some Rectifier tones with some EQ and the right IR in the DAW. But the Uberschall seems to have more options. They cost the same so I am not sure what the trade off is here to be honest.

What do you say? Most importantly, how do these feel and respond? I am mostly a fractal user. I moved over to FM3 from AX8 last year and haven't looked back but still like to have an analog option at hand and this looks REALLY good.

Do any of you have experience with these two modules and want to share thoughts/impressions? Any other modules I should consider? The 6505 feels redundant with the FM3's many EVH models and the Friedman tones aren't as appealing to me between the crunch on my mesa and the HBE in the FM3. I am not 100% happy with the Uber tone in my patches though and the Synergy SLO sounds really authentic/responsive/usable which has lead me to focus on them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I have the Syn 2, and the Uberschall, IICP, Ultra Lead, 6505, and Powerball modules. I have considered getting a SLO module, but not sure how much it would overlap with the 6505. I also have an FM3, and I use an Axe II for Effects with my Synergy stuff.

The poweramp you run it into makes a big difference. I use a 4xKT88 poweramp in stereo, so it can get pretty big sounding.

In general, the Synergy rig tends to be clearer and tighter than the regular tube heads. Just across the board. In comparison to the FM3, it is punchier and snappier. I always notice the very punchy dynamics after switching from the FM3 to the Synergy stuff.

The Uberscall is a pretty cool module. It kinda has a weird EQ, so sometimes it sounds great to me, and other times just 'different'. The blue channel is more of a high gain Marshall type sound. The Red channel is more modern. Tons of gain. Very tight. The pre-EQ is like a pre-gain treble boost.

neurosis

Reaction score
I have the Syn 2, and the Uberschall, IICP, Ultra Lead, 6505, and Powerball modules. I have considered getting a SLO module, but not sure how much it would overlap with the 6505. I also have an FM3, and I use an Axe II for Effects with my Synergy stuff.

The poweramp you run it into makes a big difference. I use a 4xKT88 poweramp in stereo, so it can get pretty big sounding.

In general, the Synergy rig tends to be clearer and tighter than the regular tube heads. Just across the board. In comparison to the FM3, it is punchier and snappier. I always notice the very punchy dynamics after switching from the FM3 to the Synergy stuff.

The Uberscall is a pretty cool module. It kinda has a weird EQ, so sometimes it sounds great to me, and other times just 'different'. The blue channel is more of a high gain Marshall type sound. The Red channel is more modern. Tons of gain. Very tight. The pre-EQ is like a pre-gain treble boost.
How would you say the Uber compares to the Powerball? Ubers sound dark IRL, Powerballs as far as I know have the ENGL thumb but more punch, Fireballs and Savages having more of that saturated fry (which I like).

From what you are saying the Uber would add another crunch option with ability to overdrive or boost to my Mark V and then that high gain red channel that I've seen sounding gnarly for extended range.

Everything you are saying is confirming my limited experience and the impression I get from demos and reviews. The 6505 samples I have heard sound too tight to me or maybe I just have fatigue with that sound. I have been using more of the 5150III models in the FM3 because I don't like the compressed vibe of the typical/original EVHs as much. The SLO looks very simple but seems to have a very responsive EQ and somehow sounds more open than the real amps to me in the straight to DAW demos I have heard.

I would run the SYN into the DAW, probably without going through the Mesa's Loop at first so not too worried about that coloring the output. Since you have the SYN2 what made you pick this over the SYN1?

Shask

Reaction score
How would you say the Uber compares to the Powerball? Ubers sound dark IRL, Powerballs as far as I know have the ENGL thumb but more punch, Fireballs and Savages having more of that saturated fry (which I like).

From what you are saying the Uber would add another crunch option with ability to overdrive or boost to my Mark V and then that high gain red channel that I've seen sounding gnarly for extended range.

Everything you are saying is confirming my limited experience and the impression I get from demos and reviews. The 6505 samples I have heard sound too tight to me or maybe I just have fatigue with that sound. I have been using more of the 5150III models in the FM3 because I don't like the compressed vibe of the typical/original EVHs as much. The SLO looks very simple but seems to have a very responsive EQ and somehow sounds more open than the real amps to me in the straight to DAW demos I have heard.

I would run the SYN into the DAW, probably without going through the Mesa's Loop at first so not too worried about that coloring the output. Since you have the SYN2 what made you pick this over the SYN1?

The Powerball is my Fear Factory module, lol. It is very tight, can get scooped, and can get bright.

Yeah, the Uberschall is darker. It doesnt have as many upper mids, and has more lower mids. The mid control is kind of weird, so it sounds hollow when it is too low, and cardboardy when it is too high. It is a darker module, but you can crank the treble up, and the pre-EQ makes it brighter also, like running a treble booster in front of it. That is the red channel. The Blue channel has more upper mids, and kind of sounds like a high gain Marshall. That is my Megadeth channel, lol.

I like the 6505 module, but yeah, it is tighter than an actual 5150. I mainly use the 5153 models on the Fractal, and I have an actual 5153 also. It is a cool module, but it hasn't been as exciting to me as the others. Maybe because I have that sound in so many other places? I think they missed an opportunity by having 2 identical channels, instead of a 6505 and 6505+ channel.

I switch back and forth running a rack parametric EQ after it also, so sometimes I use that to change the tone of different modules.

Before I got the Synergy stuff I was using tube heads into a reactive load, into a rack of different effects units and a rack mixer, into a poweramp. I kind of thought it would be cool to just use a rack preamp instead of all that to go stereo into the stereo mixer/effects. It just made sense to get the rack. Plus, I like the ability to switch between 2 'amps' easily for variety. I currently have the Syn 2 going into a rack mixer, then in parallel I run a TC Electronic G Major, Lexicon MPX-1, Axe-FX II, Rocktron Intellifex, and Rocktron Replifex. The mixer then goes out into a 4xKT88 poweramp. It is a total overkill mess, but it is fun to play with, lol.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I tried a bunch of modules...2CP, UL, 6505, Uber, Friedman, Powerball, maybe one more that I can't remember. Anyway, the Uber and Powerball were by far the best high gain tones, with the PB being a little tighter and more aggressive. Both were really great, though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I tried a bunch of modules...2CP, UL, 6505, Uber, Friedman, Powerball, maybe one more that I can't remember. Anyway, the Uber and Powerball were by far the best high gain tones, with the PB being a little tighter and more aggressive. Both were really great, though.
Not a fan of the 2CP? I know you dig Mark amps a lot.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
The Uberschall is great. Blue is like a hotrodded Marshall and has plenty of cut. The red is more modern and low-mid focused. I would've kept the Synergy system just for this module if I didn't already have a Bogner 101b that could sound similar.

Lots of people rave about the SLO but I didn't find it all too exciting. It sounds good but nothing special IMO. Both channels are also identical and have shared EQ which makes it far less useful.

I loved the IICP's cleans. I felt like the gain side was weak in comparison to my Mark IV, but I've never tried a IIC+, so maybe that's what they sound like 🤷‍♂️

Shask

Reaction score
The Uberschall is great. Blue is like a hotrodded Marshall and has plenty of cut. The red is more modern and low-mid focused. I would've kept the Synergy system just for this module if I didn't already have a Bogner 101b that could sound similar.

Lots of people rave about the SLO but I didn't find it all too exciting. It sounds good but nothing special IMO. Both channels are also identical and have shared EQ which makes it far less useful.

I loved the IICP's cleans. I felt like the gain side was weak in comparison to my Mark IV, but I've never tried a IIC+, so maybe that's what they sound like 🤷‍♂️
I keep thinking about grabbing the SLO, but not sure. Especially when the rumor is that a SLO-DLX is coming that will have separate EQs. I have a Jet City I SLO modded that sounds cool, so I think the module would be similar.

The IICP reminds me a lot of the Studio Preamps I had years ago. Less gain than a Mark IV, but more bouncy in feel compared to the more compressed Mark IV feel. Running a Tubescreamer in front puts it closer to the more modern Marks.

neurosis

Reaction score
That's great to hear. I don't have the space or the need for another head. Especially not a large one. I just want the tube feel to play at home and layer over the FM3 stuff in my DAW. So all you guys are saying seems to track positively in favor of a purchase. I did manage to get a light discount so I ordered the SYN and this module. I'll report back when I get it. Should be fun.

When you had it did you run it direct to recording or through the loop of one of your heads?

neurosis

Reaction score
I keep thinking about grabbing the SLO, but not sure. Especially when the rumor is that a SLO-DLX is coming that will have separate EQs. I have a Jet City I SLO modded that sounds cool, so I think the module would be similar.

The IICP reminds me a lot of the Studio Preamps I had years ago. Less gain than a Mark IV, but more bouncy in feel compared to the more compressed Mark IV feel. Running a Tubescreamer in front puts it closer to the more modern Marks.
The SLO, the deliverance and the Pitbull were all available for 300 bucks and under on Reverb. I thought of picking up the SLO but since this experiment/adventure was inspired by the Uberschall I decided to stick to the plan. If you're on the fence maybe worth checking if some of those prices are still live.

Shask

Reaction score
The SLO, the deliverance and the Pitbull were all available for 300 bucks and under on Reverb. I thought of picking up the SLO but since this experiment/adventure was inspired by the Uberschall I decided to stick to the plan. If you're on the fence maybe worth checking if some of those prices are still live.
All the Synergy stuff goes on sale 2-3 times a year. The modules usually go on sale for $339, so I will probably pick up a few more the next time there is a sale.

neurosis

Reaction score
All the Synergy stuff goes on sale 2-3 times a year. The modules usually go on sale for $339, so I will probably pick up a few more the next time there is a sale.
good to know. 5-10% off is ok but wish they went for less. I think $300 for a module new is a sweet spot that would make them see more IMO.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Yeah I think that's just the 2C+ sound in general. Smoother, brighter, but fatter and not as tight as the 4. Heck I think I recall Ola saying the module was slightly tighter than his real 2c+.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah I think that's just the 2C+ sound in general. Smoother, brighter, but fatter and not as tight as the 4. Heck I think I recall Ola saying the module was slightly tighter than his real 2c+.
I think all the modules tend to be tighter and clearer than their full amp counterparts. They feel very dynamic and punchy compared to many regular amps. Great for those Helmet style quick stabbing riffs.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I think all the modules tend to be tighter and clearer than their full amp counterparts. They feel very dynamic and punchy compared to many regular amps. Great for those Helmet style quick stabbing riffs.
Ok. This really gets my attention.

Do you think this is due to the modules, running a seperate preamp and poweramp, or the poweramp you're using? The Triaxis with a poweramp is probably my favorite real amp, but other preamp and poweramp combos always seemed to sound better to me than heads because they were more hi fi to my ears. In fact, most of my Axe Fx patches have the Preamp Sag turned off because I prefer the tone.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Tighter and clearer I'll agree with. For me, that's why I didn't like many of them because they sound too tight to the point that they were borderline sterile sounding because of it. I think dynamic and punchy is very dependent on your power amp. I didn't like the SYN-1 with my Fryette PowerStation at all, which is how I intended to use it and is why I ultimately decided to sell it. I didn't want a dedicated power amp because that defeated the purpose of why I bought it in the first place. It sounded better through the FX loop in my 101b but I wanted the SYN-1 to be more of a recording solution and standalone backup with my PS-1 if one of my heads died, so this didn't really suit it's purpose. I thought about buying one of the heads because my buddy had the SYN-50 and all the modules sounded way better through it, but the 30 is the one I would've wanted and the lack of resonance, plus investment cost just wasn't worth it to me when there weren't any sounds in the system I felt I had to have and didn't already.

Shask

Reaction score
Ok. This really gets my attention.

Do you think this is due to the modules, running a seperate preamp and poweramp, or the poweramp you're using? The Triaxis with a poweramp is probably my favorite real amp, but other preamp and poweramp combos always seemed to sound better to me than heads because they were more hi fi to my ears. In fact, most of my Axe Fx patches have the Preamp Sag turned off because I prefer the tone.
I assume it is a combination of the preamp and poweramp being separate and having separate power supplies, like all rack gear, and also the Synergy running at lower voltages than amps, and not having the extra tube circuitry for tube buffered loops and such.

I also dont doubt that having more points of volume control probably having something to do with it also. The Synergy will sound bigger if you crank the volumes, of course.

Shask

Reaction score
Tighter and clearer I'll agree with. For me, that's why I didn't like many of them because they sound too tight to the point that they were borderline sterile sounding because of it. I think dynamic and punchy is very dependent on your power amp. I didn't like the SYN-1 with my Fryette PowerStation at all, which is how I intended to use it and is why I ultimately decided to sell it. I didn't want a dedicated power amp because that defeated the purpose of why I bought it in the first place. It sounded better through the FX loop in my 101b but I wanted the SYN-1 to be more of a recording solution and standalone backup with my PS-1 if one of my heads died, so this didn't really suit it's purpose. I thought about buying one of the heads because my buddy had the SYN-50 and all the modules sounded way better through it, but the 30 is the one I would've wanted and the lack of resonance, plus investment cost just wasn't worth it to me when there weren't any sounds in the system I felt I had to have and didn't already.
I mostly use a Seymour Duncan KTG 2100, which is a 4xKT88 poweramp that I have read is based on a VHT 2150, but not as sterile. I modified it to have a 5150 style depth control. However, sometimes I try other things. I was using the poweramp of my 5153 50W head the other day, comparing it vs. using the Synergy as a preamp. The synergy is still tighter and clearer, where the 5153 by itself was bigger and 'smooshier' lol. My playing sounded all kinds of sloppy bad through the 5153 after using the tighter Synergy.

I find myself always using a boost with my heads to tighten them up, but many times I prefer the Synergy straight in because it is already tight. It doesn't really need it in many cases. I also keep a 5 band rack parametric EQ in the loop of the Synergy that I like with some modules. A broad mid scoop, and boost in the low end kind of levels the playing field vs. using my heads.

Before this I was using tube heads through a reactive load, into stereo effects, and then reamped with a solid state rack poweramp. I wanted to try the Synergy setup as a way to get all tube stereo in an easier way. It was also a way to try different sounds I wouldnt spend the money on for full heads.

I also compare all this a lot with using my FM3 as a preamp in the same way. The Synergy is tighter than the FM3 also.

neurosis

Reaction score
For me it was extending existing gear and going direct for recording. I did look into the 30 head but thought it was incredibly expensive once you add a module so I just took a step back and settled for the SYN1. They've probably done a good assessment on how to price their stuff but I think the heads and preamps should include better bundle deals for first time owners and the separate modules OR the preamps should come down in price a little. But that's just my bang for the buck perception coming from Fractal and the variety of sounds. The production and distribution requirements for this stuff might be different. Overall it's one of the few products I have mulled over for the longest time because of price barrier. I just got done reorganizing my shelf and setting this so time will tell if the value is there and price justified.

yeah

Reaction score
I have both the SLO and uberschall. They’re both great but I say go with the iuber! Seems like there’s so many tones you can get out of the blue channel with the pre-EQ and cut switches. The gain is lowered significantly With cut switch up on the blue channel. The gain can change even more on both channels depending on how tthe pre-EQ is set. I think like what others have said… blue is very hot rodded marshal and red is more modern sounding.

Also, does anyone use the sag control on the syn-1 syn-2 while using it with a tube poweramp? I’ve been messing with the sag control with my KSR25 6L6 power amp. I think it’s tighter and the attack is more immediate with sag off. With Sag turned up it’s the opposite and feels a little better under the fingers. I feel like it’s a little easier to play especially for soloing. Curious if others like sag on or off when using either SYN unit with a tube power amp.

Latest posts