Anybody running a SYN1 for high gain desktop recording? Would you recommend a SLO or Uberschall module?

Shask

Reaction score
I have both the SLO and uberschall. They’re both great but I say go with the iuber! Seems like there’s so many tones you can get out of the blue channel with the pre-EQ and cut switches. The gain is lowered significantly With cut switch up on the blue channel. The gain can change even more on both channels depending on how tthe pre-EQ is set. I think like what others have said… blue is very hot rodded marshal and red is more modern sounding.

Also, does anyone use the sag control on the syn-1 syn-2 while using it with a tube poweramp? I’ve been messing with the sag control with my KSR25 6L6 power amp. I think it’s tighter and the attack is more immediate with sag off. With Sag turned up it’s the opposite and feels a little better under the fingers. I feel like it’s a little easier to play especially for soloing. Curious if others like sag on or off when using either SYN unit with a tube power amp.
I generally keep the Sag control up just a hair to where it doesn't come on when I play normally, but it lights up when I palm mute and the rumble compresses.

neurosis

Reaction score
Ok. I finally received and set up the SYN 1 with the Uberschall module. it's everything I wanted. The blue channel is absolutely amazing with my Universe. Compared to the FM3 the tone is richer and the unit is more intuitive or responds in a way that is definitely more analog. Tweaking and dialing in exactly what I was after with that channel has been VERY easy.

I am having more trouble with the red channel. For now I have set for a bass heavier tone on that (have the bass dialed back on the blue channel). Paradoxically this channel feel a little looser to me, with a different attack. The blue seems to be cutting and brighter from the get go. I haven't even tried messing with IRs on this as it sounds massive with the default output setting on the SYN1. On that note any recommendations on how to interface with the DAW? Any recommendations for chain/plugins? Do I need more than an IR loader? Could I run this through the FM3 to take advantage of the cabs I have in there already? Any impedance or hazard issues to take into account?

My settings at the moment with the 7-string are:

Red (all o'clock settings)
Gain 12
Bass 3
Mid 4
Treb 2-ish
Vol 2

Blue
Gain 12
Bass 10
Mid 2-ish
Treble 3
Vol 1

Master Volume 2
Sag 9

Still playing with the eq switches, which seem to affect the settings differently on each channel. I've just been dialing in by feel and sound which is a refreshing change from my punching numbers compulsion with the Fractal stuff :D

Would be curious to hear what you guys are setting yours to and what tones you are going for.
I am using blue for dark but middy punch. Think Nevermore type sounds. The red I am going for more loose/spongy dark Korn chord sounds. I am still not happy with it though, the tone signature is what I need and the low end, too but in that case I am trying to tighten it up a little with some fizzy top end but whoever I dial it now I am either losing the low or dialing in too much fizz.

I am also used to keeping the Volume of amps lower, usually around 11 and putting the gain higher. I have found this gets me tighter and more defined tones in modelers but in real amps I am going higher as shown here. I find the SYN is generally beefier sounding than my modeler and very happy I got it. I am really going to have trouble not buying the Herbert or Engl modules if I find them at a reasonable price.

How are you storing your modules and do you guys think the SYN2 is worth it over the SYN1? I actually love the form factor and how small it is. I can see this fitting in a pelican case with an extra module or two.

Thanks!

Shask

Reaction score
Ok. I finally received and set up the SYN 1 with the Uberschall module. it's everything I wanted. The blue channel is absolutely amazing with my Universe. Compared to the FM3 the tone is richer and the unit is more intuitive or responds in a way that is definitely more analog. Tweaking and dialing in exactly what I was after with that channel has been VERY easy.

I am having more trouble with the red channel. For now I have set for a bass heavier tone on that (have the bass dialed back on the blue channel). Paradoxically this channel feel a little looser to me, with a different attack. The blue seems to be cutting and brighter from the get go. I haven't even tried messing with IRs on this as it sounds massive with the default output setting on the SYN1. On that note any recommendations on how to interface with the DAW? Any recommendations for chain/plugins? Do I need more than an IR loader? Could I run this through the FM3 to take advantage of the cabs I have in there already? Any impedance or hazard issues to take into account?

My settings at the moment with the 7-string are:

Red (all o'clock settings)
Gain 12
Bass 3
Mid 4
Treb 2-ish
Vol 2

Blue
Gain 12
Bass 10
Mid 2-ish
Treble 3
Vol 1

Master Volume 2
Sag 9

Still playing with the eq switches, which seem to affect the settings differently on each channel. I've just been dialing in by feel and sound which is a refreshing change from my punching numbers compulsion with the Fractal stuff :D

Would be curious to hear what you guys are setting yours to and what tones you are going for.
I am using blue for dark but middy punch. Think Nevermore type sounds. The red I am going for more loose/spongy dark Korn chord sounds. I am still not happy with it though, the tone signature is what I need and the low end, too but in that case I am trying to tighten it up a little with some fizzy top end but whoever I dial it now I am either losing the low or dialing in too much fizz.

I am also used to keeping the Volume of amps lower, usually around 11 and putting the gain higher. I have found this gets me tighter and more defined tones in modelers but in real amps I am going higher as shown here. I find the SYN is generally beefier sounding than my modeler and very happy I got it. I am really going to have trouble not buying the Herbert or Engl modules if I find them at a reasonable price.

How are you storing your modules and do you guys think the SYN2 is worth it over the SYN1? I actually love the form factor and how small it is. I can see this fitting in a pelican case with an extra module or two.

Thanks!
I swear I think everyone else likes more mids than me. I keep them at 9-10 oclcock, and I still think that is too many, but the sound gets kind of weird and hollow below that. Maybe I need some super scooped speaker cabs, lol. I keep bass around 2-3 oclock, treble around noon to 1, and mids at 9-10. However, it depends on what poweramp I am using. I was using my 5153 50w poweramp yesterday, which is brighter than my usual poweramp. I go for more of a modern thrash type sound. Think Fear Factory mixed with Nevermore and Hatebreed. Chunk and crunch.

The Pre-EQ controls the tightness of the channels. The up position is the tightest, with the most aggressive treble content.

If you run it into an IR, you will want a power amp sim also. You always need some sort of power amp, whether real or sim, to bring in the fullness. Preamps alone sound kind of thin and weak without them. People really underestimate the impact of the power amp. They think it only makes it louder, but they also control the overall EQ curve of the sound, and much of the feel.

I just keep my modules in their original boxes. I have all the boxes stacked up on a shelf.

Yeah, I think it has a snappier and more punchy response compared to the FM3. The FM3 feels sluggish to me after playing the Synergy a lot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I have the Syn 2, and the Uberschall, IICP, Ultra Lead, 6505, and Powerball modules. I have considered getting a SLO module, but not sure how much it would overlap with the 6505. I also have an FM3, and I use an Axe II for Effects with my Synergy stuff.

The poweramp you run it into makes a big difference. I use a 4xKT88 poweramp in stereo, so it can get pretty big sounding.

In general, the Synergy rig tends to be clearer and tighter than the regular tube heads. Just across the board. In comparison to the FM3, it is punchier and snappier. I always notice the very punchy dynamics after switching from the FM3 to the Synergy stuff.

The Uberscall is a pretty cool module. It kinda has a weird EQ, so sometimes it sounds great to me, and other times just 'different'. The blue channel is more of a high gain Marshall type sound. The Red channel is more modern. Tons of gain. Very tight. The pre-EQ is like a pre-gain treble boost.

My ears like the sound of this so far......

I'm a bit of a retro freak and have always wanted a rackmount purple Soldano SP88R, but the Synergy idea has a lot of promise...

neurosis

Reaction score
My ears like the sound of this so far......

I'm a bit of a retro freak and have always wanted a rackmount purple Soldano SP88R, but the Synergy idea has a lot of promise...
I am just going to go ahead and say that if every module responds like this Uberschall model then this is a winning product. It's well built and sounds huge. It also is very tweak able across the weep on all the buttons and reacts the way any normal amp would. I still love my FM3 but this is a different vibe that will probably add some spice to the recordings. And the fact that it can interface with a bunch of stuff makes it very likely that I'll end up using it in other scenarios outside the recording desk setup. I say try it :)

neurosis

Reaction score
I swear I think everyone else likes more mids than me. I keep them at 9-10 oclcock, and I still think that is too many, but the sound gets kind of weird and hollow below that. Maybe I need some super scooped speaker cabs, lol. I keep bass around 2-3 oclock, treble around noon to 1, and mids at 9-10. However, it depends on what poweramp I am using. I was using my 5153 50w poweramp yesterday, which is brighter than my usual poweramp. I go for more of a modern thrash type sound. Think Fear Factory mixed with Nevermore and Hatebreed. Chunk and crunch.

The Pre-EQ controls the tightness of the channels. The up position is the tightest, with the most aggressive treble content.

If you run it into an IR, you will want a power amp sim also. You always need some sort of power amp, whether real or sim, to bring in the fullness. Preamps alone sound kind of thin and weak without them. People really underestimate the impact of the power amp. They think it only makes it louder, but they also control the overall EQ curve of the sound, and much of the feel.

I just keep my modules in their original boxes. I have all the boxes stacked up on a shelf.

Yeah, I think it has a snappier and more punchy response compared to the FM3. The FM3 feels sluggish to me after playing the Synergy a lot.
It might be the sim from the out and the Universe requiring more mids. Haven't tried other Its yet. Those might require less. But overall I do like a mid punch.

Shask

Reaction score
It might be the sim from the out and the Universe requiring more mids. Haven't tried other Its yet. Those might require less. But overall I do like a mid punch.
Today I plugged back into my normal poweramp, and yep, much better. The 5153 50w poweramp is definitely brighter and more mid forward than my big power amp. I generally like darker, thumpier poweramps. I can turn the mids up higher, and the treble up higher with this poweramp.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Not a fan of the 2CP? I know you dig Mark amps a lot.
No I didn’t like it very much. It’s more like a fryette take on a mark series vs sounding and feeling like an actual Mesa. I was comparing it directly to a mark VII that I also had at the same time.