Anyone else stopped hunting for new music?

• Thread starter Akos89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zappatton2

Reaction score
It seems to me that there's more great music available out there than ever, but I find it almost more difficult to whittle all that selection down to something I really love.

Sometimes I'll hear something totally unique, and it'll inspire me to jump down a band rabbit-hole, with fabulous results. But one thing I often fall for is hearing one song from a band once, buying the LP, and realizing the only thing I really liked about the band was that they sounded like a band I like a whole lot better and would much rather listen to.

Plus, at my age I can count on one hand how many of my friends still listen to new music and can turn me on to new things, which for most of my life was one of the primary means I had for exposing me to music.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm literally going thru my entire Spotify library because I have so much music I don't really listen to, and want to clear out some stuff, let alone add new stuff into the mix. There's just so much/too much for everyone having the same 12 notes that a lot of it blurs together, and unfortunately, others just got there first sonically for me that I've heard probably 70% of what another band is going to write in X/Y/Z metal subgenre.

If someone is on KEXP/Audiotree/Tiny Desk etc I'll give it a listen, but the odds of me going back to it on the reg are infinitesimally small compared to me 10-15 years ago; the hard-drive is filled up for shortcuts my dudes.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I've always kept an ear open for new stuff, and more often than not, I do find a lot of music I end up liking a lot. Of course, with so much music to listen to, there's only so much time to go through them all. Getting older does that to you, and I've come to peace with that.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Some other thoughts on this.... I'm not always interested in "new." There was a period of quite a few years where I just listened to Bongripper's Satan Worshipping Doom every single day. I didn't tell them to write the perfect instrumental doom metal album, they just went and did it. It's like going to a restaurant that has a dish you really like and getting that every single time. You know what you like and they do it best and there's no real reason to mess with that formula. Novelty is exciting, but familiarity is comforting, especially when it fucking bops as hard as Satan Worshipping Doom.

Akos89

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

Maybe my "problem" is that my taste in music is very narrow. I'm listening to Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal 75% of the time...

But also I think there is a trend in songwriting nowdays that I don't like....

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I realized a few years ago that there is just so much music being made available all the time that I actually enjoy that I will lose my mind trying to keep up with it. I get suggestions from friends and a few FB groups and that keeps me busy enough with new music. Sometimes Apple Music will throw something in the shuffle that gets me and I'll go see what other stuff is recommended off that artist. But yeah, mostly new music finds me these days. Other than a few things that I have a real attachment to from my formative years and a few select releases here and there since I rarely have any favorites for more than a month or two before the next thing grabs my ear, but I love hearing new music constantly.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I'm constantly listening to random music anywhere, either really old stuff that someone archived on YouTube or a new release.

Sometimes I'll find a whole album that I need, or just a single song.

I also link new music I release in my sig *wink wink* ;) ;)

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't imagine I'll ever stop but it's not like I devote tons of time to finding new stuff. There's times I want to listen to Fear Factory for weeks straight... I've always been that way with certain artists.

It's a big damn cycle of familiar stuff, finding new stuff, play the fuck out of that and then back to old stuff to play the fuck out of that.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Spent the last two days digging into Sumac a bit. Came about from a friend posting about listening to them and me thinking “ive read the name, is that the band that sounds like this other band?” And boom a few hours of new to me music inspiring ideas for my current project.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Spent the last two days digging into Sumac a bit. Came about from a friend posting about listening to them and me thinking “ive read the name, is that the band that sounds like this other band?” And boom a few hours of new to me music inspiring ideas for my current project.
I love Aaron Turner but have such a hard time getting into Sumac. There are a few instant bangers like Hollow King but overall their music is exhausting to listen to. By design, I reckon. I read an interview with him a few years ago talking about (paraphrasing) intentionally avoiding cathartic song structures. I bet I'd love them live.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
No way. I'm constantly coming across newer bands and music that's interesting or that I enjoy. Not saying I don't enjoy old favorites - I for sure do. But it's so much easier to find newer artists now than it used to be.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I chose to listen to other genres for a while. I nearly left metal in the dust for a while, listening to probably 70% less if I had to guess.

I found a lot of other great music in genres like country, hip hop, and jazz mostly. Ambient stuff too usually more on the doom/stoner spectrum. Older rock too. Every kind of music has its stereotypes, but you figure millions of people like it, there has to be SOMETHING good about it. Hell, I put together a baritone with only single coils for the sole purpose of playing western baritone licks lol.

More recently I’ve come back to metal and it feels fresh again. I’ve been doing more of the grind/powerviolence sort of thing. The more “emotional” side of extreme music.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
If Lana Del Rey were a crackhead.

It's ok.
Speaking of Lana Del Rey and smoking crack, I'm reminded of a punk show some years back where a friend of mine was singing that Summertime Sadness song, except she was a little off it and by the end of the song the chorus had become "Summertime, Summertime, took too much Xanax"

Ahhhh memories

randall696

Reaction score
Im in the same boat

90% of the music I listen to I already listen to since 20yrs xD

Every other month I check the list of music Spotify suggests to me based on what I have listened to in the past… and out of 30 songs maybe one or two make it on my „stuff I like playlist“ and usually I am too lazy to delete stuff from there ever again so it just keeps growing (probably 80hrs of music is in there so far) I run it in my car on shuffle and I am always surrounded by music I like but rarely hear the same song twice within a week or two ;)

But thats the stuff I listen to

Guitar wise I only cover / play along the stuff I loved in my late teens and these songs haven’t changed since 2012ish

Even bands I absolutely loved back then I cannot get into their todays albums (example Korn loved them to the moon and back but recent albums I cannot listen to or at least once I heard it nothing in my brain says „cool let’s play it again“)

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't imagine I will ever stop looking for new music. I mostly listen to new music at 45 and don't see this phase I see in others my age where everything new is garbage to them and all the old stuff was the best ever happening to me any time soon. I've already heard all the stuff I listened to as a teen and into my twenties loads of time so I only put it on occasionally when I feel a little nostalgic.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Speaking of Lana Del Rey and smoking crack, I'm reminded of a punk show some years back where a friend of mine was singing that Summertime Sadness song, except she was a little off it and by the end of the song the chorus had become "Summertime, Summertime, took too much Xanax"

Ahhhh memories
I like Cain's voice and songs. It's just full of the most unfortunate americana I can fathom.

You might like Dessa as well, I do.

Latest posts