Anyone ever heard of Esoterik guitars?

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
That logo looks like some stock windows font, but otherwise I dig it. I'm still looking to score something with a kahler after missing out on an Esp Hanneman last year.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Never heard of them. But I checked their website. The designs are a little esoteric, but good.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
I first read of them and their import models in a thread about mid-price guitars with high-end specs, a few years ago. I was curious to buy one to try it out, but was concerned I'd never be able to get rid of it. I think I decided to just keep my eye out for one on eBay/reverb, then forgot about them.

There's a USA-made one that's depreciated an insane amount:

https://reverb.com/item/651151-esoterik-dr2-natural-usa

I don't subscribe to the notion that the trivia of the builder being American necessarily means the guitar will outclass one from WMI, South Korea - I would compare that guitar to similarly-specced Korean and Japanese guitars on auction sites, then compare which brand retains the most resale value, before even considering buying it to try.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's kind of hard to look at a builder website that one hasn't heard of and not start trying to identify red flags: pricing suggestive of over-priced imports or under-priced MIA, a long roster of artists that- no offense meant- is not terribly selective (Filter still exists!), and a gallery that appears to show the same handful of guitars over and over again to make one suspect that not a whole lot of these have been built.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Will be honest at first they did not impress me. I kind of thing the wings are a little ridiculous in the photo and they seem overpriced for an unknown guitar.

Maybe I am naive and I have no idea how much it costs to make a guitar but for a completely unknown company, I would suggest a little more competitive pricing. I did not compare the models but $900-$1,300 seems a bit steep when you could buy a used ESP or even a brand new ESP at $1,300 or even Ibanez any many many others.

I will admit though once I saw the 16" radius I became a little more interested. I can't really knock it until I try it so I guess I would not mind playing one to see.

I typically do not care what other artists use but I do like how VOD uses or has used them.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I've known about them for a while, thought they were really expensive so I'm surprised to see such low prices.

I dig them, I think the natural finish ones look cool.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Had a friend that's a touring guitarist in his own project that was endorsed by them for a couple years. He always spoke highly of them, but he's endorsed by Carvin now....he wanted a LP style that was lighter and Esoterik didn't make anything like that at the time, if they do now.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
destroyallguitars started pushing them a while ago at pretty ridiculous prices. I used to be such a fan of that store -- like everything they stocked was established, high quality stuff. Now it's all this stuff, dean gordon, prisma, sinuous, etc...just crap, crap, crap from unproven builders, most of them appearing to put more time into their advertisements than their builds. I just don't know why anyone would bother with them frankly.

btw, it's not uncommon amongst these brands to push some high price and back down when they don't sell. Especially on DAG listing... I think I recall some Aristides on DAG when it was all their first two shapes, something in the 4-5k range. I'm glad Aristides has found a foothold in with the design and crowd they have now, but obviously selling their guitars around $2800 has a lot to do with that too.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
LK27+black+%281%29.png

I usually hate solid black guitars, but man I like the look of this thing (minus the placement of that stupid killswitch).