Anyone have experience with the School of Rock?

• Thread starter crimson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pricing starts at...
* $149 Enrollment Fee
* Adult Program - Includes weekly 45 minute lesson + weekly 2 hour rehearsal ($355/month)
* Adult Program - Includes weekly 30 minute lesson + weekly 2 hour rehearsal ($305/month)

I went in today for a trial, and will be going again on Wednesday to sit in on another trial.

My goals were to play live in a band and also learn songs start to finish with a band (I think it would be cool). It seems like a unique experience as it would appear you learn with a group of people.

I would be learning (guitar), obviously.

Anyone here have experience with them?

The only concern is the pricing. That first month is $500 and it doesn't get that much cheaper...

I have avoided taking private lessons for a very long time and honestly, I haven't met anyone who seemed to be as intense as my Russian piano teacher I had when I was younger...

vs...

Say Syn Gates online school, which is free and very informative.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The secret sauce here is the band situation. The lessons are incidental. If you want/need the plug-n-play band situation, it’s worth the price. Otherwise just find some friends to jam with.

Source: I had a friend that did this for years.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A buddy of mine runs one here. It can be invaluable for learning to play in a group, especially for people who missed out on the "school band" experience.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
My nephew went to one in Ohio about 15 years ago and liked it. He even got to meet Boosty and jam a little I think he said. I don't know exactly what they teach there but damn that's expensive.
If I can be blunt;
- I'd take the first months payment and instead get ton's of great books and videos and youtube to learn stuff, take the second third or fourth month payment instead buy awesome pro gear, then take the rest of payment towards your own studio space or build one if possible from a shed or garage. Once you have that space everyone will come if you put the word out, plus you can control the spot if they're jerks you can kick them out. Bring bands or partial bands to your spot but the deal is they gotta work with and jam with you for at least x amount of time, then they can do their bands rehersal. No they can't use your gear. etc. Something like that to be forward what I'd do with the money. After a year or ten you'll be rolling.

- For the short term maybe hit up a band you like locally and see if they'll jam with you even if you have to pay them. Let them know it's so you can get better. Maybe they can teach you and jam with you some of their songs, so you gotta like their songs. After only a few songs things will feel much better and more confident. Price it per song not hour so they get you up and running faster.

- If the school has it laid out and you like the band and songs it might be worth it for a teaser but you really need a lot more time than that to take it to the level of more than basic. You need time with the band whle jamming to get tight etc. I'd say go for it if you like the band and songs but it's just a teaser really. 8 hours of band time for $300 a month is steep when in a group setting it seems. The lessons are relevant but you gotta put in the work on your own time mostly anyways.

- I'm guessing if you find the right band to mentor you you'll get a lot more for your money and probably some good freinds too. The school could potentially be like that too.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay. A little update. I went for a trial lesson, both the private and the rehearsal and what a fucking joke.

$350-500 to learn Thriller, 2 notes on a fretboard. I'm in absolute disbelief how big of a scam this place is.

The instructor looked like she was in middle school/high school tops, and she taught singing, drums, guitar, and keys. Jack of all trades, master at none.

No lessons were taught, they use tabs to introduce the learning process...

I have tabs at home.

I actually regret the gas it took to get there. That's how bad it was.

Nothing is worth this price.

Think I will continue learning Finnish death metal at home by myself on Guitar Pro 6.

nickgray

Reaction score
The instructor looked like she was in middle school/high school tops, and she taught singing, drums, guitar, and keys
Makes sense. They're probably paid peanuts. If you're half decent at guitar and have basic music theory knowledge, you can just teach privately.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Private guitar lessons can be a real boost to the average bedroom-guitarists skill level. And they can be had for much better prices. I would look in facebook groups or any other online community type place and youll likely find lots of options. Call people, tell them what you like and what you want to learn. Theyll tell you if they can help or not.

If youre feeling fairly confident in your current skills, facebook groups are also great ways to find people to jam and collaborate with. Gaining band experience can simply be had by playing in one. Pretty simple really. Follow the drummer and dont turn your volume up too loud. From there, just practice those badass stage moves in front of the mirror.

Sethdusith

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea it was cool what he was able to do with the students, but the music wasn't really my style. A for effort though