Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Figured this might help some guys looking to add strength and mass. I myself have been into heavy lifting since about 2005 and have tried every legal supplement and eating regimen out there. Some things work, some things don't and everyone is different. I focus primarily on strength because honestly what are muscles for?

This lifting ideology has greatly helped me increase my strength.
From Russia With Strength And Power | Mahler's Aggressive Strength

Most will probably have to adjust the numbers to around what you already lift.

For me, the key to progress is to always push yourself harder than you did yesterday, never make excuses, and stay focused on where you want to be.

Holy volume Batman!

How long do training sessions usually take you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
After quite a while of sustained abuse now with regards to my post #1528, legs (and back) are going great. I don't even ache any more. Not like I haven't trained legs consistently before but stretching afterwards was always a necessity and I would still find it quite tough for the next few days.
Had my best ever leg session the other day and can't feel a thing!

The secret to less ache: Train harder!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Holy volume Batman!

How long do training sessions usually take you?

I did the Monday and Wednesday workouts from the Routine #1, they took over 2 hours each. :lol: But holy hell are they good workouts. Doing the Friday one today, purely for posterity's sake.

I'm coming up with a new plan loosely based on those principles, but trimmed down a bit. Same volume on the "big 2" lifts in each workout, but less/quicker assistance work (mostly using my heavy kettlebells plus pullups and dips for a circuit or Tabata training type of "closer").

And because I like to give stupid names to all my spreadsheets with new training plans, this one will official be; Winter Training 2013: The Summer of George. :flex:

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
I did the Monday and Wednesday workouts from the Routine #1, they took over 2 hours each. :lol: But holy hell are they good workouts. Doing the Friday one today, purely for posterity's sake.

I'm coming up with a new plan loosely based on those principles, but trimmed down a bit. Same volume on the "big 2" lifts in each workout, but less/quicker assistance work (mostly using my heavy kettlebells plus pullups and dips for a circuit or Tabata training type of "closer").

And because I like to give stupid names to all my spreadsheets with new training plans, this one will official be; Winter Training 2013: The Summer of George. :flex:

I tried the Friday one two days ago and I managed it in about 45-50 minutes, so I'm thinking I'll give this a test run :yesway:

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
I've been working out for quite some time now...this past year i've been training a bit less as most of my time went towards music and Muay Thai for sports..

If anybody needs advice about nutrition or working out, feel free to ask...
Remember that you're in the gym to train your body not your ego, always preform exercises in the right from with weight you can handle.
Right now I don't train as heavy since I'm not really looking to get way bigger..I'm 6'/6'1 weight is about 200~ with 8-10% BF. Squatting(Hack squatting most of the time) 450~ for 10 reps, Bench is 280-300 for 6-10, Deadlift is about 450~ depending on the day since I got a minor shoulder injury from boxing.

Gonna put more emphasis on nutrition soon and maybe get a bit more serious in the gym!

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
I lift like a fiend but I don't eat balanced, like 80% of my nutrition comes from complex carbohydrates... Gotta start eating more veggies and figuring out how to put more protein in my diet.

Definitely put as much emphasis on your diet as you do the gym, boys.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
While we're on the topic of nutrition i recently cut all milk proteins out of my diet, including the almighty Whey. i was having digestive problems on it, and since i have crohns disease, if my diet is screw; i'm screwed.

so maybe a full month and change into the new diet plan i have shed all my bloat, and i feel fantastic. the only problem is now that i cant do dairy,. vegetarian protein is my only options, and that shit gets pricey.

right now im on a rice protein, and previously i used a pea protein. switched away from the pea because it was unflavored and tasted nasty, but NowFoods has released a vanilla toffee flavored variant that i can get for a good price online and i cant wait to try it. plus with that stuff i technically am eating veggies :lol::lol::lol:

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
After this week, I broke a few personal records. I'm a little bit better than I was pre-hernia surgery (September). I've been trying desperately to condition myself in preparation for re-entering MMA training in December. I'm 5'8"; 166 pounds and soon to be 21 years old. Also, no supplements: the worst thing I do is drink black coffee in the mornings. Also also: I do not use wraps or chalk; I feel like going completely raw does wonders for my grip strength.

Bench press: 315
Overhead press: 225
Clean: 240
And 2 personal records:
Squat: 435
DL: 450

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
After this week, I broke a few personal records. I'm a little bit better than I was pre-hernia surgery (September). I've been trying desperately to condition myself in preparation for re-entering MMA training in December. I'm 5'8"; 166 pounds and soon to be 21 years old. Also, no supplements: the worst thing I do is drink black coffee in the mornings. Also also: I do not use wraps or chalk; I feel like going completely raw does wonders for my grip strength.

Bench press: 315
Overhead press: 225
Clean: 240
And 2 personal records:
Squat: 435
DL: 450

Good stuff!
I had a great week too.
Working towards my 120kg squats Christmas goal (from about 90kg late September). Yesterday was scheduled a session for 107.5kg squats (going up 2.5kg a week to make it dead on Christmas). Got 3 sets of 6 there and then tried 120kg for the last set, getting 3 reps.
I think I'll continue doing 120kg for the last set now to get comfortable with it. I'm confident I can hit 4x6 120kg before 2013 is up :hbang:
Managed 6,6,6,10 on 205kg leg press too, and deadlifts are up to 135kg for 4 sets of 5.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Well If you're trying to build strength, sets of 6 are good. My football coach in high school used to emphasize that "If you can do it more than 8 times, it's too light to build real strength."

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Have switched to the Russian-style routine mracz posted on the previous page.

2/3 sessions a week last 75 minutes and my chest is always sore-enjoying all the squatting though, reminds me of when I used to squat 3 times a week (Monday overhead squat, Wednesday front squat, Friday back squat)-don't miss overhead squats at all though :lol:

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
Did some heavy legs two days ago, warmed up with some leg press, then went on some heavy leg press sets apx 600lbs for 10 reps...did 2-3 sets of those. Then did some hamstring curls to warm up those as well, did the whole stack for 5-6 sets. Then my nightmare, reversed hack squat, did 2 warm ups and went to apx 300lbs for 12 reps for 3 sets. Finished up with some leg curls..again just the whole stack.
Barely walking right now...got arms today.

soliloquy

Reaction score
there is a HHHUUUUUUGGGGEEE sale on bodybuilding.com right now. most things are 20% off. their cart is down right now. prolly too over crowded. give em a call and place that order.

i just placed an order for $450 or so. they sped up their shipping! last time i ordered was back in april and it took 5-7 business days. now its down to 2-4 business days! woot!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Posted it in the "Goals" thread already, but might as well post it here too.

I finally got my bench back over 300, my squat and pull over 400. :woot:

Just starting to approach numbers I used to put up in meets way back in high school (at 16). I'm 27 now, but after almost 6 years of not lifting I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. :yesway:

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Leg day was ungodly today. Worked up to 285 on front squats, 405 for 5 on back squats, and 415 for 5 on dead lifts. Counting all the exercises I did today, I logged 34 sets. I then ordered a chicken and veggie pizza, and ate it. Ate the whole goddamned thing. Because I earned it.

Bevo

Reaction score
Guys a request for some assistance please.

I have spent time in the gym and have made decent gains when I was after a strength or size goal so know the basics.
Now I am primarily a bicycle racer where low body weight and higher power means speed.

This is where you come in!

I am looking for a good dumbbell body weight routine that covers the full body and completely services the legs. Upper body is pretty straight forward and core is a given but legs I am not sure.
Do squats and lunges along with dead lifts do a good enough job?

Thanks