Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
i just stopped by to share my new diet discovery.... mexican foods (sans the dairy) is like the ultimate macro meal. take a burrito with brown rice and chicken and spread some guacamole all over that bitch... fats, carbs, proteins... everything you want for a bro-post-workout-meal :yesway::yesway::yesway:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
i just stopped by to share my new diet discovery.... mexican foods

I think I speak for all mesomorphs when I say................

39215-grumpy-cat-no-Rwoe.jpeg

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Went last night and worked out for about an hour. 45 minutes of biceps/shoulders, 15 minutes of cardio. Going tonight to do triceps and chest work, and maybe a little bit of light cardio again. Been eating roughly 3,000 cal a day, sometimes 3.5k. Hoping I can keep myself motivated enough to bulk up at least 10-15 pounds.

dudeskin

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm just getting back into the swing of things. I'll be starting back at my local boot camp thing. I'll be going 2 or 3 times a week. I managed to get into the fast group and it's intense.
I'll be doing stuff at home too to help build some muscle with weights I have.
I've got use of a bench and some free weights.
I cycle every day to work and back. And sometimes at the weekend. I'm more of a fast intense lung burning cyclist rather than a gentle bike ride haha.

I don't have any mates that are interested in fitness really so I'm doing it all on my own. But I don't know a lot of what to do or eat.

I'm medium build. I have muscle and I've reasonable strength as far as work goes. Haha.
I think I'm 5 8 and around 63kg.
I basically want to get fit and strong. Defined also.
I'm really inspired by frank medrano so that's the direction I want to go in rather than bulking up so much.

Can anyone help me with rough things I need to do to level up.

I can do a fair amount of push ups when I want to. I've been doing 100 or so when I get in from work whilst I'm still warmed up from the bike.

I don't know what I have to do diet wise and I find it a little confusing when I see people talking as if it's normal to them haha.

Any help with rough food and workout ideas would be great. Cheers.
Joe

UCBmetal

Reaction score
i just stopped by to share my new diet discovery.... mexican foods (sans the dairy) is like the ultimate macro meal. take a burrito with brown rice and chicken and spread some guacamole all over that bitch... fats, carbs, proteins... everything you want for a bro-post-workout-meal :yesway::yesway::yesway:

Do a bowl to lose the tortilla and you're in real good shape with that one. Added bonus is fantastic gas at the gym, so you get whatever piece of equipment you want.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm just getting back into the swing of things. I'll be starting back at my local boot camp thing. I'll be going 2 or 3 times a week. I managed to get into the fast group and it's intense.
I'll be doing stuff at home too to help build some muscle with weights I have.
I've got use of a bench and some free weights.
I cycle every day to work and back. And sometimes at the weekend. I'm more of a fast intense lung burning cyclist rather than a gentle bike ride haha.

I don't have any mates that are interested in fitness really so I'm doing it all on my own. But I don't know a lot of what to do or eat.

I'm medium build. I have muscle and I've reasonable strength as far as work goes. Haha.
I think I'm 5 8 and around 63kg.
I basically want to get fit and strong. Defined also.
I'm really inspired by frank medrano so that's the direction I want to go in rather than bulking up so much.

Can anyone help me with rough things I need to do to level up.

I can do a fair amount of push ups when I want to. I've been doing 100 or so when I get in from work whilst I'm still warmed up from the bike.

I don't know what I have to do diet wise and I find it a little confusing when I see people talking as if it's normal to them haha.

Any help with rough food and workout ideas would be great. Cheers.
Joe
You think Frank Medrano never bulked up? It's not like you'll start on a split and be Dorian Yates big in 2 years, no worries. Hell, in 2 years you won't be Medrano big either, far from it probably.
Read the stickies in this forum. Do some research. I agree it's a lotta information to soak up so take your time.

dudeskin

Reaction score
Captain state the obvious didn't really answer any of my questions. Anyone else help directly? All I've done is read and read but soooooo many rabbit holes.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Captain state the obvious didn't really answer any of my questions. Anyone else help directly? All I've done is read and read but soooooo many rabbit holes.
The basics are pretty simple. Calculate your caloric intake (use the sticky thread), build your diet from there. There are examples of carb, protein and fat sources in said thread. Eggs, chicken, steak, cottage cheese, rice, oats, potatoes, fish, nuts, olive oil & coconut oil are all widely availble foods you could use. Don't be afraid to get creative, chicken, rice & broccoli gets boring after a while. Been there, done that...
Watch these two vids for some shopping ideas.

If you want to be serious about fitness (ie grow towards that Medrano physique), you ain't going to get there with us holding your hands. Find out what you need and find out what works for you. Trial and error are part of the game.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
Well, I decided to get my endomorphic self back into the gym after a year and a half of half-assing it. Time to get the diet back in order and hit the weights! My first goal is fat-loss along with building muscle. I'm planning a 4 day split routine with 30 min cardio every day that I lift as well as on my mid-week off day. Any tips?

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
I think I speak for all mesomorphs when I say................

39215-grumpy-cat-no-Rwoe.jpeg

i should've specified and said its good for us ectomorphs ahahaha

Went last night and worked out for about an hour. 45 minutes of biceps/shoulders, 15 minutes of cardio. Going tonight to do triceps and chest work, and maybe a little bit of light cardio again. Been eating roughly 3,000 cal a day, sometimes 3.5k. Hoping I can keep myself motivated enough to bulk up at least 10-15 pounds.

eliminate the cardio unless you're just walking or something. if you want to incorporate cardio into your routine do the bulk first and then go for leaning exercises. if you want your heart pumping do super sets with no rest.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
eliminate the cardio unless you're just walking or something. if you want to incorporate cardio into your routine do the bulk first and then go for leaning exercises. if you want your heart pumping do super sets with no rest.
Eh, some cardio is a good idea even if you're bulking. Nothing wrong with keeping your condition up.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Just an excuse to bump an irrefutably important thread :lol:

Old man winter sure does suck this year (around here). It's by far my favorite season most years, but this is ridiculous:rant:.

My weight room is just an offshoot of my unheated garage, which is normally great because I can run my space heater for however long it takes to get the temp around 55-60 and I'm in heaven (well, dirty weight room heaven that is).

Last night I ran it on high for almost three hours and it still was only about 40 degrees in there, and the bars were literally still ice cold :lol:.
I bundled up and made the most of it but that gets very expensive doing it every time.
When it's around the freezing mark outside it only takes an hour or so on high to make it perfect for lifting, but that would be a heat wave lately :wallbash:.

I've stayed at just below 220 for awhile now which is a big improvement over the 250 I was at when this thread first started, nevertheless I had hoped to keep improving my body mass/fat ratio throughout the winter but it's really gotten the better of me in that regard.
I really could bring the dumbells inside and concentrate on some smaller isolation stuff, but then I'd have nothing to panzy-bitch about right :lol:.

Oh well, here's to a quick spring :hbang:. On a side note; Barrow Alaska (that's the north freaking slope) has been consistently warmer this winter than central Illinois.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
My new leg day routine that I created:

Front Squat 4x10
Back Squat 4x10 super-set with 36" box jumps to failure for every set
Dead Lift 4x10 super-set with calf raises 4x20
Straight leg dead lift 4x10 super-set with good mornings 4x10
One legged leg press 4x15 each leg alternating
Dumbbell lunges 3x20
Leg Extensions 3x15 super-set with Leg Curls 3x15

The next day is pure torture.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score

Front Squat 4x10
Dumbbell lunges 3x20

Oh to be young again.
Are those box jumps with the weight still on your back? :lol:

Got vertical leap?
Mine USED TO BE 37-38" at about 195 pounds.
I'm 5'8" and used to get the veins of my wrist on a regulation rim jumping off two feet only. (not even close off one leg running)
Never could dunk anything other than a mini-ball though. Way too small hands to hang on to a real ball and not enough hops to two-hand jam.
They used to joke that I was a white Spud Web, but that's an insult to the great Spud Web.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score

Front Squat 4x10
Dumbbell lunges 3x20

I'd change the order a bit, right now you're doing a quad dominant movie then squats/deads then hams them quads again.
Squats
Deads
Leg press
Front squat
Lunges
Extensions
SLDL

Also wouldn't do front squats, back squats, deads and SLDLs all on the same day but that might just be me, I like to keep things split up a bit so I can get them all with the same intensity. Would just throw in regular deads with back day.

The Analyst

Reaction score
I'd change the order a bit, right now you're doing a quad dominant movie then squats/deads then hams them quads again.
Squats
Deads
Leg press
Front squat
Lunges
Extensions
SLDL

Also wouldn't do front squats, back squats, deads and SLDLs all on the same day but that might just be me, I like to keep things split up a bit so I can get them all with the same intensity. Would just throw in regular deads with back day.

Yeah, I can't even imagine trying to do all of that on the same day. :ugh:
SoItGoesRVA your routine is just crazy! :lol: No offense, man. :)

That routine is not optimal for progressive overload. Far too many exercises in one day if your lifting heavy.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Trench you're 5'8?

phukking hell man remembering your pictures you just made me feel a hell of a whole lot better about my future prospects (5'7 here)

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Tax Return Day = Finally replacing my shitty made in China bar :woot:

Ordered a Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar (the real deal, not one of the imitations). Ironically, I had to order from a store in New York. :lol: