Anyone here own a Jackson Misha sig?

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
So, I'm working on one of these for a customer and it has a pretty bad upward bow, naturally I tried adjusting the truss rod and it appeared to me that the truss rod is only a one way, not a two way. So I am not able to correct the bow. I'm just looking to see if this particular guitar has a messed up truss rod or if they all just come with one way truss rods. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
If it's a USA model, I'm fairly certain it is a single action rod. Not sure about imports.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
AFAIK Jacksons should all have 2-way truss rods, but I could be wrong about that. [edit: seems like I might be wrong, lol] Those particular guitars seem to have a ton of problems, I owned three different ones and only one of them didn't have some sort of issue.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else immediately want to tag Bulb upon reading the thread title? Hope OP can get it sorted.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Its an import model, I wanted to ask because I thought "there's absolutely no way Jackson would be making a $1000 guitar with a single action truss rod!". On the website it does say "dual action truss rod with wheel" But the model I have on my bench I believe is from a previous year, it has a plain maple neck instead of roasted maple and has a transparent black burst with a maple top. I can post some pics later.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Its an import model, I wanted to ask because I thought "there's absolutely no way Jackson would be making a $1000 guitar with a single action truss rod!". On the website it does say "dual action truss rod with wheel" But the model I have on my bench I believe is from a previous year, it has a plain maple neck instead of roasted maple and has a transparent black burst with a maple top. I can post some pics later.

Interesting. Hope you can figure it out. Fwiw, all Warmoth necks have single action rods. There are still a lot of holdouts out there somehow.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
What is the behavior of the rod when u try to tighten it?

have you tried tightening it without string tension?

Are you turning the rod in the correct direction?

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

I checked an archive of the Jackson website from 2017 (which I believe is the first year the import models were available) and there's no info on the trussrod type. By 2019 (can't seem to retrieve the 2018 info), they'd swapped to caramelised maple and started advertising the heel-end trussrod adjustment wheel, but did not specify whether it was a 1-way or 2-way rod. They do mention the graphite reinforcement, however.

I assume most guitars have two way rods these days. I don't think they add to manufacturing cost and the benefits are obvious.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it has an upward bow that means the truss rod is too tight so you should be loosening it.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
If it has an upward bow that means the truss rod is too tight so you should be loosening it.

OP didn't state he was tightening the rod, so presumably he is loosening it. He said he was being paid for the job, so I'm assuming he knows which way to adjust the trussrod.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
OP didn't state he was tightening the rod, so presumably he is loosening it. He said he was being paid for the job, so I'm assuming he knows which way to adjust the trussrod.

Yes I know which way to adjust the truss rod :lol:

In a 2 way truss rod, you'd loosen it to the point where it would be neural, than keep loosening it until it gets to the point where the 2 way kicks in and starts to put downward pressure on the neck. This guitar does not do that. Once its fully loose, the wheel just spins and does nothing. A lot of good those graphite rods do on a warped neck!

I set up the neck on clamps to try to force it back into place for 2 weeks, it had no effect.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Yes I know which way to adjust the truss rod :lol:

In a 2 way truss rod, you'd loosen it to the point where it would be neural, than keep loosening it until it gets to the point where the 2 way kicks in and starts to put downward pressure on the neck. This guitar does not do that. Once its fully loose, the wheel just spins and does nothing. A lot of good those graphite rods do on a warped neck!

I set up the neck on clamps to try to force it back into place for 2 weeks, it had no effect.

Well if you can't spin the nut off, I suppose it lends more credibility to a busted 2-way. PTC heating elements are pretty cheap on amazon and if you clamp them on to a well-milled beam you can turn them into a heat press. I've only used the system on forward bows and not back bows, however...

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score

It's possible to fix it this way. You need to bolt it down straight and heat cycle the neck. Should only take a few days, if longer you might not be getting it hot enough.

Lol @ a one piece neck with single action truss rod, though.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
It's possible to fix it this way. You need to bolt it down straight and heat cycle the neck. Should only take a few days, if longer you might not be getting it hot enough.

Lol @ a one piece neck with single action truss rod, though.

On a $1k guitar no less!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Won't let me upload pics cause file size :(
If uploading from mobile, there should be an option for file size. I didnt realize that was the issue for me til this year lol.

sell2792

Reaction score
I’ve played quite a few Misha imports and most of them were somewhere between unplayable (bad) to mediocre. I’ve played exactly one that was decent but still not worth the new price. It’s a shame because I really like the body style but not enough to buy a USA model over my typical brand of choice.