Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EX-84.jpg
I'm thinking about getting an Explorer type guitar and retrying either a chrome set of Het pickups or the 57/66 sets. Just something to chug in Eb standard.
Granted it has the 81/60. But it's only 375 bucks plus shipping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You could try the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.. that balances a lot better specially if it is a dark guitar. It will still sound thick and dark but at least balanced since the 81 hast more cut and the 85 more bass end

But yeah... anyway I'm looking for a 60 or 60A for the neck with the 85 in the bridge :lol:

That combo rips. The 85 and the 60 balance beautifully. I swapped them for the 57/66 combo to try something new, but I missed the 60 a lot.

I'd rock a 57/60 combo if my OCD could handle having pickups with mismatched looks :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
That combo rips. The 85 and the 60 balance beautifully. I swapped them for the 57/66 combo to try something new, but I missed the 60 a lot.

I'd rock a 57/60 combo if my OCD could handle having pickups with mismatched looks :lol:
I prefer the 60A, as I find Alnico magnets to typically be “softer” than ceramic. I’m sure a standard 60 will work well with an 85.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer the 60A, as I find Alnico magnets to typically be “softer” than ceramic. I’m sure a standard 60 will work well with an 85.

I have never tried that one, since I think it is not available for 7-strings. I'm sure I'd prefer it as well too since I'm not too fond on ceramics (and still I loved the 60!).

pahulkster

Reaction score
Swapped the 81/85 in my Jackson for a Het Set and it is killer. Metal covers were slightly larger and needed a little modification but that might just be the tight routes on the guitar. They sound so good though. New electronics and some bridge mods too so it wasn't a direct swap but I'm liking them much more.

Stephan

Reaction score
Swapped the 81/85 in my Jackson for a Het Set and it is killer. Metal covers were slightly larger and needed a little modification but that might just be the tight routes on the guitar. They sound so good though. New electronics and some bridge mods too so it wasn't a direct swap but I'm liking them much more.
Interesting. I hear so much good things about them. In what way do you think they are a improvement compared to the 81/60 set?

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting. I hear so much good things about them. In what way do you think they are a improvement compared to the 81/60 set?
They are for sure more "open" sounding. They do have more output and a tad more gain to them.
But they surely react more dynamic and are less focused but still very tight.

I guess more organic would be an argument.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
@HeHasTheJazzHands Could you not achieve that with an 81X mated to a BTC control? They're designated as bass accessories but they supposedly work with guitars quite well.

Probably? :lol: Not really sure. I might be a bit off base since it's been a few years but I recall them being very similar.

I still need to do that preamp mod to my C8. I like how the 81/85X sounds in it, but I still want the djentychugga low end for when I really want some clarity with very thicc amps

pahulkster

Reaction score

Not sure about the 60. This guitar had an 81/85 and I haven't played with the clean neck tones too much yet. I only have one other guitar with EMGs in it and I put a 60 in the neck of that one. Definitely prefer that for clean sounds over the 85 or 81. As far as the bridge goes I just think it sounds much more dynamic but still super crunchy if that makes any sense.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh forgot about the Het Set neck. :lol:
It's a really fucking killer neck pickup. Has more low end and a more sparkly high end compared to the 60.

jco5055

Reaction score
I tried to read most of this thread but my eyes glazed over somewhere in the 60s, so forgive me if this has been discussed lol.

but do the retroactives live up to their billing as combining all the positives of active and passives? I did what I should have done at the start and played my two guitars, one with passives and one with 81/60 combo ( I think), and I like the sound and the no hum and clarity of the actives, it’s just the feel is sliiiightly not 100% there like it is with passives…so wondering if the retros (or any other set) has that feel.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I tried to read most of this thread but my eyes glazed over somewhere in the 60s, so forgive me if this has been discussed lol.

but do the retroactives live up to their billing as combining all the positives of active and passives? I did what I should have done at the start and played my two guitars, one with passives and one with 81/60 combo ( I think), and I like the sound and the no hum and clarity of the actives, it’s just the feel is sliiiightly not 100% there like it is with passives…so wondering if the retros (or any other set) has that feel.

IMO yeah the Super 77 set is probably the more passive-like actives I've tried.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
thanks! Do you feel like they are “there” or just they are the best so far? If only I could find a guitar stock with them to try at GC etc

Hard to explain. :lol: Definitely felt more passive like than the standard EMGs. I'm not a very nuanced player, just felt they were very close to the Duncan Super Distortions I used to own. Neck pickup I didn't care about. Too dark

jco5055

Reaction score
Actually removed my pickups in my 7 string and realized they were the 57/66 7 string set... now I figured with the solderless system I could just buy a pair of retro-actives for them to see what I think, but does anyone know if I can purchase them without the wiring/pots etc included? I only need the actual pickups.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Hard to explain. :lol: Definitely felt more passive like than the standard EMGs. I'm not a very nuanced player, just felt they were very close to the Duncan Super Distortions I used to own. Neck pickup I didn't care about. Too dark
Do you mean Duncan Distortions? The Super Distortion is by DiMarzio.