Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EMG 60-7 in the bridge was quite "dry" sounding. Great if your rig is very boosted, but might get overly dry if you prefer dry rigs or amps like Fryette etc. Might not matter if you have PA2 on there already.

I want to try 707X TW/R's. 707 is the OG Dino Cazares sound with coil split and X-series preamp. With competent rig it's all splitting hairs though...
That's a good point that I had not considered, wanting it dry or not. I'm thinking if I don't go with the 707's I might do the 55-7 for the bridge.

I really like the 707TWX-R. I have one in an RG and that is my Dino guitar lol I have a Marshall patch on my Axe 2XL+ that I use for that guitar and use a Protone Dino OD or SD1 and to me it's very close to the Replica and Digimortal tones.

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a good point that I had not considered, wanting it dry or not. I'm thinking if I don't go with the 707's I might do the 55-7 for the bridge.

I really like the 707TWX-R. I have one in an RG and that is my Dino guitar lol I have a Marshall patch on my Axe 2XL+ that I use for that guitar and use a Protone Dino OD or SD1 and to me it's very close to the Replica and Digimortal tones.
Here's a video with EMG Retroactives (Super 77 in this case) from a cool dude, who's also a big FF and Dino fan:

Seems that Retroactiives are quite honky pickups. For anybody with PA2, perhaps it's the way to go instead of Fishman's Open Core Moderns?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've tried the 707, blackout soapbars, and 60-7 in my rg style 7 custom, a couple 7620's, 707's in a 2027xvv as well as the blackout normal style in a 7620. What type string gauges, action and RGA7 is going to matter a bit. For sure though 707's will address the neck concern of too bright but maybe to bassy. If so just lower it.

- The 60-7 is more like a Strat type tone yet controlled and translates to like 85-90% the perceived output and use of a 707, is brighter and mid scoopy like a strat tone. Could be my rig though. In the bridge it is a little dry, tight, and really good sounding, but if you want more gain you'll need a pa-2 or boost device. It still has plenty of gain really. Seperation and clarity is nice and dynamics are all there too.
- I used dual 707's for a long time then maybe 15 years ago went 60-7 in the neck. I slam them all the way down, use fat strings, high action and when going from bridge to neck the volume transition is perfect, whereas with another 707 it gets more boomy like most setups. I always hoped Emg would come out with an alnico 60-7 but they never do. I've been holding off but I might have to proceed with my idea of putting the 707 back in the neck and using an internal trim pot to get the gain perfect. That'd probably be my setup if I wasn't so lazy about getting it done. That said I have no complaints or need to change out the 60-7 because it's great too. When I change out my wiring someday I'll try my idea though. Sometimes on string changes I put the 707 back in the neck and it's great. If I want less gain rather than turning the volume down I use a Volcano midi box so it's the same amount of DB every time and at that spot it's almost the same as the 60-7 anyways, but boosting a 60-7 is better sounding than boosting a 707 imo for clarity and less compression type sound, but the 707 boosted is a cool tone too so it's just a bunch of good flavors really. The 60-7 does have that ceramic sound though. It's not going away.

- TLDR; 707 bridge, 60-7 neck, if you wanna get crazy those other one's look awesome too but never tried or heard them in real life.

To me the old Blackout soapbars were almost same as a 707 but not as good/clear but more trebly somehow. I don't like the normal style Blackouts and I'd try the 707 bridge 60-7 neck setup first and work with it for a bit. Very versatile and covers a lot of territory. If that still doesn't work flip them and try 60-7 bridge 707 neck. If you like the 707 in neck better leave it there. If you like 60-7 in bridge leave it, if not get another 707 or 60-7 etc. If not try the other sets.
That 55-7 and 66-7 looks like it might be the perfect medium though. Those look better to me but I never tried them. Those have way different specs but are alnico and also have pole pieces in the design rather than rails so it depends how you want that interaction happening. The 55-7 is also 3k rather than 10k like the 66,707,60-7 so that may change how they interact with each other and maybe why they work good as a system etc. You know the only solution is to try every combination and a/b test them using all amp channels right? lol. When I hear demos of the 55-7 and 66-7 they seem like probably better way to go but I like how the 10k Emg's are hitting my amp input, I'm mostly content etc.
Thank you for the insights! Brightness for the bridge pickup is a concern but also too much bass in the neck is another. I had not considered lowering the pickup to aid that.... I need to do that on my 7620. It has an Air Norton in the neck and it is super bassy.

Agreed on string choice. I generally use Ernie Ball Cobalts and they do have a different kind of brightness that lasts a lot longer than D'Addarios in my experience. That could be part of the brightness issue but the Cobalts sound so good to me.... They have a different kind of growl or something that I like.

The 55/60-7 or 55/66-7 sets are very enticing from what I'm hearing in demos but then again the 707 being less bright than the X/TWX's seems to be what I'm looking for. They should be less hot than the Blackouts and that's mostly what I'm looking for. I like the BO's for overdrive and distortion tones but they're hotter than I like for cleans.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's a video with EMG Retroactives (Super 77 in this case) from a cool dude, who's also a big FF and Dino fan:

Seems that Retroactiives are quite honky pickups. For anybody with PA2, perhaps it's the way to go instead of Fishman's Open Core Moderns?

I will check that out! I've been considering those pickups for my 1527.

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
@c7spheres drop EMG an email and ask if you can purchase a 60-7 with an Alnico magnet.

I've been planning on buying a 40JX bass pickup to try since on paper, it's the closest to an SX single as I can get in an 8 string variant. Asked EMG if the 40JX could be ordered with a White cover and mentioned that I'd love to try it with an alnico magnet, and the response stated that they do in fact make a 40JAX, but don't list it on the website.

They might be able or willing to drop alnico mags in place of the ceramics on a 60-7 and voila, 60-7A. Or at least really close.
I've asked them several times if they could make me an alnico 60-7 and they always say no. I should ask again sometime. Thanks.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Can" if you have to or "want to" even though you have other options at your disposal?

Solid question. It depends on the guitar, the amp/sim, the tone I want, and how picky I decide to be in the moment. I’ve been spending a lot of time lately in a zone where “close is good enough” and I can play what I want to play without caring that the tone isn’t what I would probably choose if I were taking the time to grab a different guitar. Those are the times when I disentangle myself from expectations of tone and focus on everything else. If I were recording or putting a piece of gear through its paces, I’d probably want options.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice to see some 707 love here. I recently just pulled out a Dino Blackout Retribution from my Jackson COW7 and put back the stock 707. Instant 90s FF and Nevermore tones right there.
That's basically what I'm wanting, especially the Dino tones. The 707X/TWX series sound great and can do that but I want a little less high end coming from the pickups especially since my next swap won't have a tone control.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice to see some 707 love here. I recently just pulled out a Dino Blackout Retribution from my Jackson COW7 and put back the stock 707. Instant 90s FF and Nevermore tones right there.
How does the 707 compare to the Retribution? I had a 707TWX that I used for a while. The split tones were great, especially clean. However, the standard humbucker sound was quite compressed which wasn't always desirable.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
How does the 707 compare to the Retribution? I had a 707TWX that I used for a while. The split tones were great, especially clean. However, the standard humbucker sound was quite compressed which wasn't always desirable.

Pretty different. The Retribution is more on the EMG 81-7 and AHB1 Blackout camp. Only that the Retribution has less gain than the 81 and has more frequencies available, bigger low end, crisper attack, but somehow looser than the 81.

The 707 has more of that fat, grinding alnico mids and rounded low end. If the 707 is sounding too compressed, try backing it away from the strings. Always worked for me.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty different. The Retribution is more on the EMG 81-7 and AHB1 Blackout camp. Only that the Retribution has less gain than the 81 and has more frequencies available, bigger low end, crisper attack, but somehow looser than the 81.

The 707 has more of that fat, grinding alnico mids and rounded low end. If the 707 is sounding too compressed, try backing it away from the strings. Always worked for me.
It's interesting to hear that, as I've heard a lot of negative feedback regarding blackouts. Usually the main criticism seems to be that they're way too hot, and they're basically distorted before they even hit the amp. It sounds like the Retribution set is quite different though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's interesting to hear that, as I've heard a lot of negative feedback regarding blackouts. Usually the main criticism seems to be that they're way too hot, and they're basically distorted before they even hit the amp. It sounds like the Retribution set is quite different though.
From what I can tell the Retribution was tweaked to be a bit more tame and clear. Almost like it's an X-series Blackouts. Standard BOs are indeed stupid hot and compressed.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

The gain is still there. But the Retributions are really the lowest gain of all the Blackout offerings. The gain is like Fluence V2 of the Moderns. It doesn't saturate as quickly. And I like my AHB1 Blackouts. They have that Invader gain saturation and they get pretty clean and controllable as long as I back them off from my strings. One thing the Retribution doesn't have that the AHB1 has, is that low mid, and sub lows thump. Hence, they sound leaner, at least in my guitar.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score

His channel is my favorite. Only youtube channel I've ever sent some cash to support. Great production quality, relaxing vocal tone, and no constant guitar wankery such as wayyyy too many hammer-ons and the same box pentatonic we're all tired of in warp speed.

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The gain is still there. But the Retributions are really the lowest gain of all the Blackout offerings. The gain is like Fluence V2 of the Moderns. It doesn't saturate as quickly. And I like my AHB1 Blackouts. They have that Invader gain saturation and they get pretty clean and controllable as long as I back them off from my strings. One thing the Retribution doesn't have that the AHB1 has, is that low mid, and sub lows thump. Hence, they sound leaner, at least in my guitar.
I remember all the hype around the Blackouts was that they are more dynamic and not as compressed as regular EMG's. Dino Cazares himself said that - more mids, more clarity etc. But then he made an AHB-1 on EMG X-series pre-amp settings as his signature...

Does the 707 have that AHB-1 thump? If dynamics are in question, why not just go for 707X?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I remember all the hype around the Blackouts was that they are more dynamic and not as compressed as regular EMG's. Dino Cazares himself said that - more mids, more clarity etc. But then he made an AHB-1 on EMG X-series pre-amp settings as his signature...

Does the 707 have that AHB-1 thump? If dynamics are in question, why not just go for 707X?

His Retributions still sound and feel like Blackouts. Just with less gain and a different eq. They feel nothing like an EMG X series. Always thought the X series felt stiffer than the regular EMGs.

The 707 and the AHB1 both have abundant low mids so the thump can be dialed in easier with your amp and gain settings. The 707x is a bit drier and smaller sounding. The X sounds clearer but the regular 707 can get nasty and gained out.

Shask

Reaction score
I have had a Hellraiser with 707TWs in it for years. That guitar definitely has that sound. I have it running at 24v right now.

Latest posts